dawei

Mo Pai Discussion and Vote

Mo Pai Discussion area  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Mo Pai Discussion area

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes; Would you prefer it to be free from internet searches?

• N/A - I picked No Above
    • Yes - Don't let the internet search this area
    • No - Allow the Internet to search this area

Actually if someone really wants it, they could start it in there PPF. But if its one of the MPG gang it might quickly devolve into flame bait. Too bad. I liked SonofGods PPF thread where he'd print a little from the book and add commentary.

• Like 2

Couple of quick question for the cognoscenti: -

1. Did anyone check the diploma of the individual who apparently claimed to be an representative of the Mo Pai?
  2. What happens if an accredited representative of Kunlun, KAP, AYP Buddhism, etc., etc. turns up and asks you to censor discussions on Kunlun, KAP, AYP, Buddhism, etc?
  3. Can I - as I Buddhist - ask that discussions about Buddhism be quashed and, if so, do I need to present a diploma in Buddhism in order to have TTBs accede to my request?
  4. Will anyone who is unable to provide a diploma in Buddhism be excluded from Buddhist discussions if I later change my mind and agree to TTBs hosting a Buddhism forum?
  • Like 3

i feel like TTB should have nothing to do with Mo Pai. If we create an official MoPai subforum then it lends it credibility and keeps those same people circulating through the rest of TTB forums.

• Like 7

1. Did anyone check the diploma of the individual who apparently claimed to be an representative of the Mo Pai?
  2. What happens if an accredited representative of Kunlun, KAP, AYP Buddhism, etc., etc. turns up and asks you to censor discussions on Kunlun, KAP, AYP, Buddhism, etc?
  3. Can I - as I Buddhist - ask that discussions about Buddhism be quashed and, if so, do I need to present a diploma in Buddhism in order to have TTBs accede to my request?
  4. Will anyone who is unable to provide a diploma in Buddhism be excluded from Buddhist discussions if I later change my mind and agree to TTBs hosting a Buddhism forum?

The MP have consistently asked to be left alone, from multiple sources - not just the one referenced. It is a CLOSED system.

• Like 4

Answer to all 3-

What??

We're discussing whether or not to have a subforum, not whether certain views are allowed or to be expressed. Ofcourse they are. This is in no way a call for censorship.

• Like 2

I changed my vote to 'no new forum'. The reminder that Mo Pai is (officially, not just in my mind) a closed system, was a wake-up call.

FWIW, wanted to add a thought: I was thinking about all that mo pai traffic we get. 60% or more of the google search references we get are due to mo pai? It's easy to dismiss that as a bunch of spammers and puppets, but what if there is legitimately a lot of interest in Mo Pai? One would hope these people find Tao Bums and read other threads besides the mo pai threads and become interested in a system that is more accessable. Maybe that's an idealistic notion, but I know I didn't originally come to Tao Bums looking for stillness-movement, yet I found it here. It's good to keep people coming in the door. Even if they aren't looking for something we can honestly offer them, they may stumble upon something they really need.

• Like 6

I changed my vote to 'no new forum'. The reminder that Mo Pai is (officially, not just in my mind) a closed system, was a wake-up call.

FWIW, wanted to add a thought: I was thinking about all that mo pai traffic we get. 60% or more of the google search references we get are due to mo pai? It's easy to dismiss that as a bunch of spammers and puppets, but what if there is legitimately a lot of interest in Mo Pai? One would hope these people find Tao Bums and read other threads besides the mo pai threads and become interested in a system that is more accessable. Maybe that's an idealistic notion, but I know I didn't originally come to Tao Bums looking for stillness-movement, yet I found it here. It's good to keep people coming in the door. Even if they aren't looking for something we can honestly offer them, they may stumble upon something they really need.

All that you say is true and if those Mo Pai Google searches bring people to a more accessible system via the Tao Bums all is well and good.

I do worry though that there is something in Mo Pai that attracts the more unstable, unbalanced seeker. I find this a cause for great concern.

• Like 3

I do worry though that there is something in Mo Pai that attracts the more unstable, unbalanced seeker. I find this a cause for great concern.

Do you actually think there are any potentially detrimental ways that don't attract unstable persons?

Just asking.

• Like 1

Do you actually think there are any potentially detrimental ways that don't attract unstable persons? Just asking.

No. But Mo Pai has caught our attention and is quite enough to deal with at this moment in time.

I'm glad that it's been made doubly clear (by dawei and thelerner) that there will not be any censorship of discussions about MoPai.

Having seen More Pie Guy's open letter to dawei I've deleted my vote, as it's now also clear that this sorry state of affairs has gone beyond any possibility of an in-house resolution.

Perhaps, in future, the Concierges/Admin could take a leaf out of Protector's book and address these issues in terms of mediation (as opposed to an essentially flawed, simplistic, dictatorial, enforcement model, that's not only diametrically at odds with the stated founding principles but that's failed - so spectacularly).

• Like 1

Seems remarkably few votes considering the numbers of members...maybe to get a more representative result this should be advertised in the main area somewhere; otherwise there is a risk that people will only stumble over it by accident.

Unless that is the intention of course ;)

• Like 1

It would be good were we able to do a mass pm to members regarding the vote. I do not know if this is possible?

It has shown characteristics of tide water.... a wave formed at first, but then receded... and the votes reversed and low tide appeared :)

• Like 2

I'm glad that it's been made doubly clear (by dawei and thelerner) that there will not be any censorship of discussions about MoPai

I stated that at the start but it may not of been clear enough. This vote was simply to let members voice their opinion concerning Mo Pai as a sub-forum, not as censorship. We will not censor any teaching/lineage.

Having seen More Pie Guy's open letter to dawei I've deleted my vote, as it's now also clear that this sorry state of affairs has gone beyond any possibility of an in-house resolution.

I personally have no strong side to take on this issue. That makes doing the vote thing easy on some level. I am not affected by the comments or outcome. There is no real big thing to resolve if the majority does not think it is good or the right time.

Perhaps, in future, the Concierges/Admin could take a leaf out of Protector's book and address these issues in terms of mediation (as opposed to an essentially flawed, simplistic, dictatorial, enforcement model, that's not only diametrically at odds with the stated founding principles but that's failed - so spectacularly).

This may be the wrong thread to start a manifesto on failed efforts... This vote is more democratic than dictatorial... I am sure I'll give an excuse at another time when I decide something that someone does not like.

Founding principles of a plains culture eventually evolve to city-state size and then a country, etc... This growth has been the source of lots of discussion over the years in the back room. So be assured that the found fathers has seen this growth and realize it ain't what it started out as.

I helped at a smaller board for several years. There are obvious differences among boards (topics, size, members, etc) but the size issue alone accounts and produces lots of considerations.

And a founding principle here was that all practices/arts/lineage have a voice; there is no favoritism or censorship of a particular practice... this carries an inherent willingness to grow. With growth, In my vision, we need to keep considering the structure and organization of the forums... ergo, new sub-forums are under consideration.

• Like 1

Reminds me of martial arts. One lineage vs another. Hopefully I'm wrong in the MP case, but...

Seems remarkably few votes considering the numbers of members...maybe to get a more representative result this should be advertised in the main area somewhere; otherwise there is a risk that people will only stumble over it by accident.

Looks to be about the same number of votes we get on any issue. Likely something to do with what % of members actively read and edit. Should pickup on the weekend though...

Looks like a resounding NO mopai section. I'm tempted to start another poll... "move all mopai discussion to the pit" *yes* *no*.

Too bad no one liked my "controversial topics" subforum (in the pit) idea :(. It would make it much much less about MP.

• Like 2

I had that feeling yesterday... but I wanted to keep this out of public view and I wanted it to be where it was always at the top of a thread. If I put it on General it will eventually float downward. Even if I pin it, who knows its Pinned.

But here, you always see it as the first thread of this new forum once logged in. I also announced it a few times but I know they get lost.

I had that feeling yesterday... but I wanted to keep this out of public view and I wanted it to be where it was always at the top of a thread. If I put it on General it will eventually float downward. Even if I pin it, who knows its Pinned.

But here, you always see it as the first thread of this new forum once logged in. I also announced it a few times but I know they get lost.

I found that announcing there is a topic in one of our new sections, in general discussion, to work really well....

Looks like a resounding NO mopai section. I'm tempted to start another poll... "move all mopai discussion to the pit" *yes* *no*.

Too bad no one liked my "controversial topics" subforum (in the pit) idea :(. It would make it much much less about MP.

I liked it, BKA.

• Like 1

Reminds me of martial arts. One lineage vs another. Hopefully I'm wrong in the MP case, but...

Not all martial arts are like that - traditional aikido being the notable exception.

• Like 1

Not all martial arts are like that - traditional aikido being the notable exception.

With Aikido you get ki aikido vs aikido! I've heard some debates lol. Though you are right, far less in the japanese martial arts than the chinese. Also a lot less in the phillipino ones.

With Aikido you get ki aikido vs aikido! I've heard some debates lol. Though you are right, far less in the japanese martial arts than the chinese. Also a lot less in the phillipino ones.

I'll happily pick that up for discussion but could you create me an aikido subforum in my ppf please, so that we don't take this further off-topic?

Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 2

I'll happily pick that up for discussion but could you create me an aikido subforum in my ppf please, so that we don't take this further off-topic?

Thanks in anticipation.

Done :).

Anyone else like some nice sub-fora?

• Like 1

I like that idea

• Like 1