dawei

Mo Pai Discussion and Vote

Mo Pai Discussion area  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Mo Pai Discussion area

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes; Would you prefer it to be free from internet searches?

• N/A - I picked No Above
    • Yes - Don't let the internet search this area
    • No - Allow the Internet to search this area

This poll is in Bums Town Hall which is a non-public area of TTB. This area cannot be searched by the public and requires a login to even be in this thread :)

This topic is to vote and discuss the idea of a Mo Pai Discussion SUB-FORUM.

I suspect there will be other areas the staff will consider but as this is one of the more contentious issues, I'd like to let members count their vote on just this topic. This vote is only about a dedicated sub-forum area not really about whether we allow Mo Pai discussion at all.

TTB is expressedly without allegiance to any one system/school/lineage and as such there is no prohibition to discuss Mo Pai... but these discussions often result in issues which need to be dealt it. One solution might be to just have a dedicated, non-public area. We probably would not Pit the problem threads, they would likely just get closed.

The vote is NOT public so your vote should remain anonymous. The total count should show.

Added: I thought to do this, this coming weekend but we got this non-public area setup (Thanks BKA) and so I just felt to get on with it.

Rarely have I ever see anything positive come out of a discussion regarding Mo Pai. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 3

Wouldnt it just be possible for more people from india and nicaragua to cast votes lol. Really not necessary to add a section for a teaching thats closed off to most users here anyway. There will be some discussion on earlier levels, which is already covered by a bunch of pre existing topics, and the rest will be closed

Edited by dazed

..... in the PIT... :).

I'm all for not allowing any not obviously a real ISP memberships in until the poll is over :D.

• Like 4

I'm all for not allowing any not obviously a real ISP memberships in until the poll is over :D.

^^^

You are wise beyond your years.

• Like 1

Either that, or too much time on internet forums over the decades.. ;).

Or you are really really old.

:P

• Like 1

Rarely have I ever see anything positive come out of a discussion regarding Mo Pai. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

So your giving a public notice of your vote... Rarely will someone be so honest :)

Wouldnt it just be possible for more people from india and nicaragua to cast votes lol. Really not necessary to add a section for a teaching thats closed off to most users here anyway. There will be some discussion on earlier levels, which is already covered by a bunch of pre existing topics, and the rest will be closed

True... BKA is playing her magic ;)

And there you go :wub:

^^^

You are wise beyond your years.

And the fans voice their... uh... odd... opinions :P

• Like 1

Wouldnt it just be possible for more people from india and nicaragua to cast votes lol.

This is a great point... Are you a type A, first born who loves to play with data ? :)

We're may prevent new registrations from voting. This poll will not stay open longer than a week.

I voted for searchable. I am quite old on this forum, although not too much active, but I survived three Kunlun wars, and if memory serves well, this is the third Mopai war if not the fourth. To be honest, these were the most entertaining time periods of this forum.

• Like 4

I miss the kunlun wars, such vitality ;). I voted no, Mo Pai = flamebait, unfortunately. It won't always be the case. Indeed it shouldn't be, but for now it is.

I voted for searchable. I am quite old on this forum, although not too much active, but I survived three Kunlun wars, and if memory serves well, this is the third Mopai war if not the fourth. To be honest, these were the most entertaining time periods of this forum.

I voted unsearchable, but I really don't care which way it goes, so long as they have a common area to thrive.

I don't know why, but the mo pai threads tend to get batshit insane.

At first I thought it was amusing, now I think it's just annoying. I would prefer the mo pai threads not be searchable on Tao Bums, because I think most of the Mo Pai threads here are not indicative of the average tenor of our discussions. For the most part Tao Bums are helpful, collaborative, and insightful. The people who seem to be drawn to mo pai tend to be elitist and argumentative.

On the other hand, for people who sincerely want to seek out Mo Pai information, this board is probably a fairly helpful resource, and I don't want to see any seekers barred because their brethren couldn't keep a civil tongue. The most just thing would probably be to treat it no differently from any other forum, but make it its own section because we really do need to isolate all that smack talk to one corner of the board.

• Like 6

I agree, this is most violent war of them all, and is not fun anymore. I hope it shall pass like all the others. Anyway I saw that during these internet wars people spit the hidden secrets from the vault and make other people start practicing more serious, at least those without guidance or motivation. I am really sorry for those who got hurt, and I understand your bitterness, thelerner and Green Tiger.

• Like 3

Concerning new members, well. PMark is still active, right?

But yes, reduce entrance would be quite useful, I think.

Vote for subforum is a clear: NO. What kind of a way to deal with the situation is this, creating a new subforum to "honour" exactly those people who come here to make trouble, engage in missionary activities, are blinded by their belief of being right like maybe some medieval Christians couldn't have done better, and all the time insist that everybody ELSE is the cause of the problem, especially the mod team that has to clean up behind them?

I don't like the idea - Taobums has not that much subforums, and that's positive, as there's some structure in it, but not too much.

Creating a subforum just because the topic is at the moment prey to some people who abuse it for their ego-games, and very obviously, on top of all, DO NOT EVEN PRACTICE THAT STUFF THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! is clearly not what I'd like to see as a reaction to that situation.

Sometimes it makes me really angry to see a path that can hardly be THAT stupid, and it's real members that can hardly be so bad practicioners used as a punchball for people who just don't want anything else but behave like 5-year olds who didn't get their icecream.

As BKA said, in the pit - there it's not searchable, and that is the real place for flaming threads. Maybe be more open to close them, even if they are already pitted.

It's just against my idea of what "should be" to give a subforum to some topic just because its non-practicing fans don't behave and don't even want to behave.

If there should be a subforum anyways, I'd propose to have it not searchable, so at least that part would be kind of a political decision to improve things in the long run.

Best to all of you anyways, and thanks for giving members some opportunity to partake in the discussion and decision :)

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 2

I agree, this is most violent war of them all, and is not fun anymore. I hope it shall pass like all the others. Anyway I saw that during these internet wars people spit the hidden secrets from the vault and make other people start practicing more serious, at least those without guidance or motivation. I am really sorry for those who got hurt, and I understand your bitterness, thelerner and Green Tiger.

The problem is - well, I don't know about these kunlun wars, but in the actual case the initiators will hardly spit hidden secrets. They argue with Youtube-videos showing this or that kind of nice tricks, and otherwise mainly engage in making accusations and insulting people.

Yes, would maybe like some great practicioners discuss their issues. Unfortunately that's not what it is about in this case. And this actively induced decrease of communication- and practice-level is really something which I wouldn't like to support in any way.

Parents have to cope with annoying phases of development of their children. But mods as well as users on here should be more or less grown-ups and be able to reflect their behaviour on their own.

Sorry, more than 2 cents :P

• Like 1

In my opinion, a mo-pai forum is quite useless since the school is closed and all we have are books, legends and pop-corn.

A lot of qigong people started to re-create a western mopai school: something like neo-paganism or rune revival.

Probably, they have very little of the original thing.

So, what's the point of discussing something that... nobody actually practice in the original school?

There are many in delusional states of mind that think to be in the real thing because they feel something, they dream of JC, etc...

They want to promote their weird views and teach their reconstruction-ism for fun.

Edited by DAO rain TAO
  • Like 5

Better have real martial arts forum than a forum with no real practitioner of this specific arts.

• Like 4

In my opinion, a mo-pai forum is quite useless since the school is closed and all we have are books, legends and pop-corn.

A lot of qigong people started to re-create a western mopai school: something like neo-paganism or rune revival.

So, what's the point of discussing something that... nobody actually practice in the original school?

There are many in delusional states of mind that think to be in the real thing because they feel something, they dream of JC, etc...

They want to promote their weird views and teach their reconstruction-ism for fun.

Aye, my thoughts too.

Besides, it would actually be detrimental to the health of this forum, as history have recorded. All it takes is 2 self-proclaimed MP 'adepts' getting together to rock the boat. And they will.

• Like 2

What about an option for filtering any new Mopai posts/threads so they do not appear in the "View New Content" page? That way, I don't even know that they exist. :P

Good idea! Or redirect them to the 'what are watching on youtube?' thread? Because that's what most of the conversation boils down to anyway.

I definitely get where you're coming from but, (correct me if I'm wrong Dawai) the reason we're talking about this is because we get quite a bit of traffic here from people searching for Mo Pai on Google.

The people who want a searchable forum are saying something like this:

"We've already got them coming here, there's nothing we can do about that. They're here, they meditate on copper wires, get used to it.

It's certainly not fair to start screening members for their affiliation with Mo Pai like some sort of witch hunt. Instead, let's just to give them an express lane to Mo Pai town or keep them all in one little Mo Pai village, if you will.

It's segregation, but it's not a witch hunt. Better to be corralled into a ghetto than burned at the stake, I always say."

The people who are saying there should be a non-searchable forum are saying:

"They'll quit coming here altogether if we make Tao Bums stop appearing on Mo Pai Google searches. We could do that by moving all the threads to one unsearchable forum. No fuss, no muss. All the Mo Pai traffic goes away."

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 3

I voted no for the following reasons:

First, Mo Pai has been the source of more wasted time on this forum than any other single subject.

Second, there is precious little concrete information in the way of factual accounts of practices and these have been posted and commented on endlessly between vast stretches of acrimonious posts.

Third, Mo Pai is generally not of enough interest to merit a place of its own.

Fourth, the only reason for creating this seems to be:

... but these discussions often result in issues which need to be dealt it. One solution might be to just have a dedicated, non-public area. (Emphasis mine, ZYD)

the unruly conduct of the discussions.

Fifth, such a forum will only encourage the creation of new 'transformation bodies', a polite word phrase for sock puppets, to come on here and influence that discussion and create a private problem, rather than a public one.

Sixth, there already exists a way for anyone who is interested to create their own Mo Pai forum as part of a personal practice forum.

Finally, I suggest that anyone interested enough in Mo Pai to want the Tao Bums to pay attention to it, to first start their own PPF, or create a sub-forum on one they already have, and then spend several weeks searching through all of the Mo Pai threads already on the Tao Bums and copying the locations of important threads and comments and bringing them together in an index and invite others to help in this if they are interested. If someone is not willing to do that for Mo Pai and demonstrate thereby that they are seriously interested, and by the value of the material that is collected and collated, that Mo Pai is worth the effort, then there is no reason for the Tao Bums to create a private space for what has so far been a tremendous waste of time, which unfortunately is not as limitless as the cyberspace in which it is stored.

As a general policy maybe we do need to start a 'tough love' approach to Mo Pai in which Mo Pai threads that simply start to get unruly will be locked and pitted, in short be polite or begone. This may create some incentive to keep the discussion civil, because if after a certain number of posts everything that they had tried to get out publicly here vanishes when the thread goes sour, then there will be less and less incentive just to start a thread just because you can and more to keep it civil. Mo Pai advocates have brought considerations such as these on themselves.

• Like 8

I definitely get where you're coming from but, (correct me if I'm wrong Dawai) the reason we're talking about this is because we get quite a bit of traffic here from people searching for Mo Pai on Google.

BKA had pointed out before that most Mo Pai folks who show up here are due to searching... That may now be second to sock puppets and banned members trying to slip in, but let that aside.

It is a traffic issue but why should traffic be a problem? That is the whole point of a forum; it exists for anyone who might want to join.

On the other hand, probably 90% of our troubles are Mo Pai (and a majority of the rest in the Buddhist subforum)... well, we have a subforum where we do contain a known thorny member/discussion issue (Buddhism)... Mo Pai doesn't have the containment.

Based on the comments, it is clear that most people understand the problem and conflict that we don't want to stop a particular voice but we don't want to allow it to become a riot.

As an equal energy/art opportunity board, we respect all practices... but we all do see that Mo Pai attracts a certain kind of unrest at the board.

It is good to read the comments, the passion against it and the compassion to figure out how to let it exist.

• Like 3