zxcvbs

Qi gong. Taoist, buddhist differences. yoga

Hi, i practice kung fu. And i am searching, for a more internal discipline to compliment.
Im currently looking between Taoist Chi kung, Buddhist Chi kung or yoga.

I know some differences between taoist, and buddhist breathing.
Taoist contracts abdomen on inhale and expands on exhale.
Buddhist expands abdomen on inhale, and contracts on exhale.
But i dont know how this affect Chi circulation, ying/yang principles. Microcosmic/Macrocosmic orbit circulation. I feel taoist breathing more yang than ying because it energizes me more than relaxes me (which i feel on buddhist breathing).

I mention yoga, because prior to feeling the circulations, im all over muscular tension, and i feel that before i need to work this energy blockages, this shield that is created by emotional tensions.
Example: shoulder, hip openers.

What i dont like about yoga, is that i dont perceive (maybe is just my ignorance), a fundamental principle that is comprehensive from a rational point of view, i feel it more god based, religious.

Is there some analogy between chi circulation orbits, and prana circulation?

Other possibility is doing zazen/kinhin, but i feel that im not ready mentally.

Chi kung works proggresively.
body, mind, spiritual centers. For Example Lohan Chi Kung:
Sap Bak Lohan (energy circulation, body).
Siu Lohan (mind circulation, energy from body to mind)
Dai Lohan (mind to spirit, meditation)

I feel yoga works more on
body, and spiritual centers.
and zen on
mind, spiritual centers.

I feel zen is not the answer yet, because i have a troublesome personality/physical-emotions manifestations to resolv first. Japanese are more propense to zen, because they have born/rised/act, in the zen way of life, or this prior western cultural invasion. I find zen, simple as perfection, but i dont feel im ready.

Is there a chi kung, that centers on body tension blockages like yoga?

Edited by zxcvbs

What kung fu do you practice? Have you asked your teacher what he or she thinks would complement this system? (Or whether there is an "internal" element to the system you simply don't know about yet?) That might be an appropriate starting point.

• Like 1

You might want to start with the 8 pieces of brocade. It is a good introductory practice. If I were you, I would take Brian's advice and ask your kung fu instructor what chi kung he/she would recommend. It is likely your instructor has learned some chi kung and can teach you.

From what you've stated as your interests, I think you might also want to investigate ashtanga yoga, if you haven't already.

• Like 1

What kung fu do you practice? Have you asked your teacher what he or she thinks would complement this system? (Or whether there is an "internal" element to the system you simply don't know about yet?) That might be an appropriate starting point.

I practice Choy lee fut (southern style). My Sifu, school has lohan qi gong (buddhist qi gong), but the main issue that i have is incompatible schedule. So im interested in some taoist point of view about chi kung, to know what are the differences,

The idea that Taoist = reverse abdominal/embryonic breathing is inaccurate. there are huge differences between Taoist and Buddhist methods and beliefs. The two have very little in common when broken down to their basic foundation. however, most practices for the past few centuries have incorporated aspects of both.

• Like 3

Hi, i practice kung fu. And i am searching, for a more internal discipline to compliment.

Im currently looking between Taoist Chi kung, Buddhist Chi kung or yoga.

I know some differences between taoist, and buddhist breathing.

Taoist contracts abdomen on inhale and expands on exhale.

Buddhist expands abdomen on inhale, and contracts on exhale.

But i dont know how this affect Chi circulation, ying/yang principles. Microcosmic/Macrocosmic orbit circulation. I feel taoist breathing more yang than ying because it energizes me more than relaxes me (which i feel on buddhist breathing).

I mention yoga, because prior to feeling the circulations, im all over muscular tension, and i feel that before i need to work this energy blockages, this shield that is created by emotional tensions.

Example: shoulder, hip openers.

What i dont like about yoga, is that i dont perceive (maybe is just my ignorance), a fundamental principle that is comprehensive from a rational point of view, i feel it more god based, religious.

Is there some analogy between chi circulation orbits, and prana circulation?

Other possibility is doing zazen/kinhin, but i feel that im not ready mentally.

Chi kung works proggresively.

body, mind, spiritual centers. For Example Lohan Chi Kung:

Sap Bak Lohan (energy circulation, body).

Siu Lohan (mind circulation, energy from body to mind)

Dai Lohan (mind to spirit, meditation)

I feel yoga works more on

body, and spiritual centers.

and zen on

mind, spiritual centers.

I feel zen is not the answer yet, because i have a troublesome personality/physical-emotions manifestations to resolv first. Japanese are more propense to zen, because they have born/rised/act, in the zen way of life, or this prior western cultural invasion. I find zen, simple as perfection, but i dont feel im ready.

If you are not going to stick with your current teacher and system, I'd recommend that you find a local teacher that has a good reputation and focus more on the quality and credibility of teaching and less on your (and our) guesses as to which system will compliment your Choy Lee Fut. Any credible system taught by a master will be valuable. Choosing a practice because of how they are labeled (Daoist, Buddhist, yoga) will be much less reliable, IMO. Worst of all is trying to DIY from a book or video when it comes to internal arts. Just one biased opinion to add to the mix.

Good luck!

PS the version of Shiba Luohan Qigong that I practice is one of the best Qigong forms I've ever encountered... If I were you, I'd try to change my schedule and study that within the same system as my Gongfu.

• Like 3

Strangely, I see all of these coming together in a basic, simple way. For me, each of these things are about loosening points of fixation and allowing the world to flow.

Dao, Taiji, Wuji, Wuxing, Jing, Shen, Qi, I Jing, Kan/Li, TCM, Meridians and acupoints, yongchuan, mingmen, baihui, etc etc etc... all pre-Buddhist, all Daoist.

What exactly is Buddhist anyway?

• Like 1

True yoga has a tremendous depth of internal practice but in the West it does not exist.

(When I think of yoga, the postures are a very small portion of the practice, but here in the West, it is what we associate yoga with)

The Tibetan Buddhist forms have very high internal practices and many of them have been revealed - from what I can see they have been translated very well.

Qi Gong has very high internal practices as well but you will again find much of the teaching hidden from view.

If you have not been practicing "seriously" for at least several years these teachings would be more of a danger than an aid. Nearly all of the internal practice has little value for quite some time with the exception of the basics of breathing into ones lower dan Tien. This of course will make some spontaneously combust - but it is so.

Nearly all forms of internal practice - outside of the basics - are quite high teachings but of comparably little value.

What I mean by this is that the basics ARE the high teaching - they are the earth movers - they are the wizard makers.

The good and steadfast doing of basic yoga will lead to all of yoga.

This is true of all of the real practices.

Much of the focus on "inner practice" is the mind finding yet another reason to become self important and deny progress until we once again achieve another "badge" in order to progress.

Obviously inner practice is fun and interesting and will allow us to create all sorts of havoc in record time - which can create years of diversion. And indeed it can also create great useful results.

The "basics" will achieve the exact same thing in due time - usually it is by far the fastest time.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

Dao, Taiji, Wuji, Wuxing, Jing, Shen, Qi, I Jing, Kan/Li, TCM, Meridians and acupoints, yongchuan, mingmen, baihui, etc etc etc... all pre-Buddhist, all Daoist.

What exactly is Buddhist anyway?

Well Ch'an is just Taoism without those silly hats and Zen came from Ch'an.

Better to say 'Buddhisms' than Buddhist maybe?

We've a western Pure Land sangha in the next village and a New Kadampa community not far away from it.

Both own the name 'Buddhist' but they are as different as chalk and cheese.

The New Kadampas run a spiffing veggie cafe.

I really really appreciate your answer.

There is no bad/good martial/inner arts. Only bad/good martial/inner artists.

Thanks.

True yoga has a tremendous depth of internal practice but in the West it does not exist.
(When I think of yoga, the postures are a very small portion of the practice, but here in the West, it is what we associate yogi with)

The Tibetan Buddhist forms have very high internal practices and many of them have been revealed - from what I can see they have been translated very well.

Qi Gong has very high internal practices as well but you will again find much of the teaching hidden from view.
If you have not been practicing "seriously" for at least several years these teachings would be more of a danger than an aid. Nearly all of the internal practice has little value for quite some time with the exception of the basics of breathing into ones lower dan Tien. This of course will make some spontaneously combust - but it is so.

Nearly all forms of internal practice - outside of the basics - are quite high teachings but of comparably little value.
What I mean by this is that the basics ARE the high teaching - they are the earth movers - they are the wizard makers.

The good and steadfast doing of basic yoga will lead to all of yoga.
This is true of all of the real practices.

Much of the focus on "inner practice" is the mind finding yet another reason to become self important and deny progress until we once again achieve another "badge" in order to progress.

Obviously inner practice is fun and interesting and will allow us to create all sorts of havoc in record time - which can create years of diversion. And indeed it can also create great useful results.

The "basics" will achieve the exact same thing in due time - usually it is by far the fastest time.

Edited by zxcvbs
  • Like 1

Shaolin hard-chi-gong also uses reverse breathing and is more about energizing.

Some things you might find in Buddhist based chi gong is more attention to mindfulness training. I mean, what better way to ensure you're focusing on the breath than using your entire body in the process of chi gong!? Naturally, Buddhism is focused especially on peacefulness, so the chi gong will sometimes be used as an aid to this endeavor. This can also aid in opening energy pathways by creating less resistance, more acceptance, and clearing and training the mind. Daoism and Buddhism partner very well in this way. When energy is flowing smoothly, this peaceful state is perpetuated, so there is a complimentary support between vibrant chi and a peaceful and pleasant demeanor.

Are there particular blockages that you want to dissolve? There are many many types of chi gong for just about every purpose, from building immunity, to longevity, healing, etc.

The style I play with is from Wu Dang and I would estimate 70% of the forms use RAB, the rest is standard and they alternate.

When engaging in RAB, I sense a noticeable increase in flow of Qi to the extremities, which absorbs during the relaxation phases.