dawei

Mo Pai Discussion, anyone?

idiot_stimpy said in the lobby:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/35040-hello-my-brothers-my-name-is-paul/?p=550766

Seriously are you people so silly to fall for this again? Its going to end the same way.

I am glad to see such expression.

We are talking about this issue among admin/tech/mod/steward... but I want to hear the members voice their opinion.

Would the members like to discuss the future of Mo Pai topics and discussions next weekend in a non-public area of the board?

In my view Mo Pai is not the problem.

I agree... and that is why we would welcome discussion on Mo Pai... if we could find a way to welcome all energy arts.

After Blue Bird was banned this appeared on the other site.

Reading between the lines, taking up the torch is to continue to be disruptive here, and seeing how long he fairs is double speak for see how long it takes for him to get banned.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the friend is MPG himself, hiding behind a proxy ip.

I think a possible solution is for members to collectively ignore and stop responding to Mo Pai threads.

Bluebird's IP was from India; he refused to answer questions as to his current location.

PMark was upfront and quickly said Nicaragua... so they are learning how to play the game better. His IP is from Nicaragua.

It is the games which need to stop.

I already said yesterday to Bluebird: If they want so bad to come back, just talk... but all we get are games. Talking can produce more. Games will produce less.

The problem is: People on both sides like to play games or get drawn to games. I want to find a better solution, if possible.

• Like 1

Again this is not about Mo Pai, but about a forum member that couldn't behave themselves.

I don't disagree... but when I look at the highest level, core ideas of this forum, I know we don't want to exclude certain energy arts and maybe it could of had a different sub-forum structure to contain some of it... and today, we might have a different outcome.

I still get people don't know how to control themselves... but step one is to talk about the idea of a Mo Pai Discussion.... but with the members.

I am willing to discuss this with the members here first.

Again this is not about Mo Pai, but about a forum member that couldn't behave themselves.

And a couple of folks who are using sock puppets to try to get $300 per level (and they just send the PDF that is floating around the net) out of folks....

I don't disagree... but when I look at the highest level, core ideas of this forum, I know we don't want to exclude certain energy arts and maybe it could of had a different sub-forum structure to contain some of it... and today, we might have a different outcome.

I still get people don't know how to control themselves... but step one is to talk about the idea of a Mo Pai Discussion.... but with the members.

I am willing to discuss this with the members here first.

There's a little empty room in the pit...

• Like 1

please.just.say.no.

no.pai.no.way.

I can't help but smile at your extreme seriousness...

I want the members to say it straight.... that was a serious sword swipe...

Dotanuki swords quickly gained great popularity among the warrior class due to their superior cutting ability. The Dotanuki smiths cared little for aesthetics, but instead focused on strength, sharpness, and durability in the field. They were renowned for producing blades which would endure the harshest conditions, the most difficult battle field situations and survive to return to battle day after day, year after year.

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me why anyone cares about Mo Pai in the first place?

1. If you are not living in and ethnically Indonesian there is 0 chance that you can receive any direct, credible training - ever.

2. If you are not Indonesian there is 0 chance that you will ever learn beyond the most rudimentary basics.

3. No Westerner has ever completed the beginning training, let alone intermediate or advanced.

4. Those who do claim to be practitioners in the West show absolutely no evidence that the training has done anything beneficial for them... certainly not by their interaction with others online. In fact, the highest level Mo Pai practitioner in the West died very young of cancer...

I don't get it at all...

As far as I'm concerned the forum would be better off if all Mo Pai discussion was either -

1. Banned

2. Put in a single thread or sub-forum, preferably in the pit

BKA (I believe) once posted a statistic regarding how many folks come here solely looking for info on Mo Pai. Based on what I see of the majority of folks primarily interested in Mo Pai, the forum would be better off without attracting them. For that reason, I think it would be good for the forum if the Mo Pai bullshit were not searchable.

I doubt this post will improve my popularity marks but the Mo Pai foolishness is ridiculous and is a stain on this forum, rather than the other way around.

• Like 8

I'd vote for adding a subforum. One spot for it and that's that. The other has been tried for years now and it has been consistently ending in the same energetic field. Full inclusion has been tolerated for years and has led to this spot now...

I'm for inclusion, but not at the expense of taking the level of intelligent discussions and adult conversations down because of a concerted, intentional effort to hijack reasonable discourse with a childish agenda.

Tolerance and inclusion are awesome, but not at the expense of health and longevity.

Few trees are so unwise as to grow out of balance.

• Like 5

Yes, yes, not searchable :).

Why... hmmm, it seems that many folks are trying to practice it anyways, in the west, from either the PDF floating around, Jim's students, Sifu Rel's old forum mehtods, SotG's methods, or the post here on TTBs. I guess they have some questions about it.

Unfortunately, accept for on SotG's forums, there aren't many discussions about it that don't start to go in the flame war direction though :(.

• Like 3

I think the trouble is that Mo Pai zealots think it invalidates every other cultivation method - thus they will always be at odds with everyone else they can't convince.

• Like 1

I think the trouble is that Mo Pai zealots think it invalidates every other cultivation method - thus they will always be at odds with everyone else they can't convince.

Yes... this is the tricky part... TTB is about inclusion... whatever energy art you follow... but don't claim the non-followers are damned. There should be room for discussion/debate/disagreement.

NEXT WEEKEND: WE WILL LET MEMBERS INTO A NON-PUBLIC AREA TO DISCUSS THIS.

Can someone explain to me why anyone cares about Mo Pai in the first place?

Honestly, this is a valid question...

but we only need to ask... about your system: "Why you care about your system?"

So we are left with the fact, as BKA has pointed out, that most search engine results of Mo Pai lead to ..... Rome (TTB)....

We are thinking to put it in a non-public area so NOT SEARCHES.... as a trial.

BUT WE NEED TO HEAR THE MEMBER'S OPINION...

Moving threads is up to the volunteers here (admin/tech/mod/Steward)... I don't expect that... someone may want to volunteer to do it.

Moving threads is up to the volunteers here (admin/tech/mod/Steward)... I don't expect that... someone may want to volunteer to do it.

RAISEYOURHAND-qo3xu9.jpg

If that's the direction you decide to go anyway, I'd be happy to help out. I don't have a strong opinion about how to handle the Mo Pai threads, but I agree that they seem to be flame-bait.

I've given a fair amount of thought to why Mo Pai, of all the systems out there, has earned this dubious reputation. My first inclination is to blame Magus of Java, and perhaps Ring of Fire, though neither of those works emphasized the sorts of things that Mo Pai seekers seem to desire.

I suspect the exclusivity and mystery surrounding John Chang have helped a bit. If he lived in the west and taught westerners I think people would be far less infatuated with him.

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 4

If that's the direction you decide to go anyway, I'd be happy to help out. I don't have a strong opinion about how to handle the Mo Pai threads, but I agree that they seem to be flame-bait.

I've given a fair amount of thought to why Mo Pai, of all the systems out there, has earned this dubious reputation. My first inclination is to blame Magus of Java, and perhaps Ring of Fire, though neither of those works emphasized the sorts of things that Mo Pai seekers seem to desire.

I suspect the exclusivity and mystery surrounding John Chang have helped a bit. If he lived in the west and taught westerners I think people would be far less infatuated with him.

We'll need help... and I suspect the same as you... but here we are :)

Honestly, this is a valid question...

but we only need to ask... about your system: "Why you care about your system?"

It's more a question of why attach oneself to a completely inaccessible and unknown system.

It's quite a commitment and comes with absolute knowledge that it can never be taken beyond the tease stage.

Remarkably similar to making the decision to marry Scarlett Johansson...

Oh well, different strokes I guess.

Er, you do realize, that this would mean moving hundreds of threads right? While I can do some, will need help ;).

If you decide to go that route I'd help out as well, though with not quite as much enthusiasm as the green tiger!

;)

I think the primary reason is the lust for magical powers and some imaginary idea of immortality. That said, I don't know much about the system. Never read the books. Just looked at some videos and read some of the internet mess.

• Like 2

It's more a question of why attach oneself to a completely inaccessible and unknown system.

It's quite a commitment and comes with absolute knowledge that it can never be taken beyond the tease stage.

Remarkably similar to making the decision to marry Scarlett Johansson...

Oh well, different strokes I guess.

Yes... I don't disagree with the points you make. This is the usual complaint. I like to hear it explained. Who knows what draws them to this.

If you decide to go that route I'd help out as well, though with not quite as much enthusiasm as the green tiger!

Thanks.

I think the primary reason is the lust for magical powers and some imaginary idea of immortality. That said, I don't know much about the system. Never read the books. Just looked at some videos and read some of the internet mess.

I think that is an allure of magical power but I think those who invest their time to it would say it takes so much time, steps, and dedicated practice. I would not down play the time needed (not that your doing that), but as respect to the Mo Pai system.