Sign in to follow this  
RookieIAm

Meditation and Standing Meditation

Alright, just for the record, i am not trying to troll or anything. To complete level one of most systems, i believe one must meditate in total concentration. How would i meditate in total concentration, what am i supposed to feel while meditating, what is it supposed to be like. Can i just visualize myself breathing while meditating, or must i have nothing in my head at all, not even visualizations? Can i look straight at my eyelids without thinking anything, will this work?

And my second part to my topic is, what is standing meditation, and how would one build chi with it?

Concentration is probably best seen as a long term project, so it's level 1 and level 50.

The best way to do it is to simply allow the mind to be as it is, and bring the awareness back to the meditation object when you notice it's no longer there. Think of concentration as "building speed", so you don't just sit down and CONCENTRATE. Instead you let the mind rest gently on the object. The mind will wander without you knowing and suddenly you'll realize "oh, I'm not on the object". What you do here is important. You want to get back to the object so you can build more speed, so don't be angry or frustrated with yourself, that just takes up time and you lose momentum (if you do get frustrated, though, don't worry about it, just go back to the object :3). Each time you notice the object, you are revving up the engines, and after 10 minutes or so it'll really start to catch. The best thing you can do is relax and allow the process to unfold. It may take a few months to get into the absorptions, but if you sit every day - even for 10 minutes - you'll get there eventually. :)

As for the meditation object, I always recommend body awareness. It's what I use, and it works! :D Just place your attention on different parts of your body for each breath. For example, breathe out into your feet, breathe in from your feet, breathe out into your lower legs, breathe in from your lower legs, breathe out into your upper legs, etc. Once you cover the whole body, just breathe in and out of the whole body for a few breaths, then cycle through again. This can feel very nice and relaxing, just go with it and try to enjoy the process.

Don't worry about thoughts and emotions, they clear themselves when you don't give them attention. Remember, don't use attention to battle thoughts, use attention to be aware of the meditation object. Let the thoughts babble on in the background and wear themselves out.

As for standing meditation, you can do the same thing as above, but I find it more enjoyable to stand at my window and try to stay in the senses. Just watch and listen carefully. You can walk a bit as you do this too. Wander around...be aimless...

Edited by Kajenx
  • Like 3

Aim for Theta brainwaves or the Hypnagogic state. You can get a feel for it pretty easily by using brainwave entrainment although what Kajenx said is best for gaining the skill to do it alone.

Aim for Theta brainwaves or the Hypnagogic state. You can get a feel for it pretty easily by using brainwave entrainment although what Kajenx said is best for gaining the skill to do it alone.

The hypnagogic state can be fun to play with, but I've read some studies on concentration meditation and they seem to say the mind is going the other direction. A study on Tibetan monks reported some of the highest frequency brainwaves ever recorded.

EDIT: I got some links: :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_wave

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43006-2005Jan2.html

Edited by Kajenx
  • Like 4

Alright, just for the record, i am not trying to troll or anything. To complete level one of most systems, i believe one must meditate in total concentration. How would i meditate in total concentration, what am i supposed to feel while meditating, what is it supposed to be like. Can i just visualize myself breathing while meditating, or must i have nothing in my head at all, not even visualizations? Can i look straight at my eyelids without thinking anything, will this work?

And my second part to my topic is, what is standing meditation, and how would one build chi with it?

the monkeymind can easily be occupied by putting the full focus of your awareness into the movements of breath. dont think, feeeeeel. work on the timing of the breath structures so that they harmoniously conclude inhale and exhale. pull down the inhale from the deep centerline for the entire duration of the inhale and dont use your air passageways to facilitate the movement of air, just use your gut.

once you get that down then move on to energetics.

It's Zhan zhuang practice.

.......To complete level one of most systems, i believe one must meditate in total concentration.

1. How would i meditate in total concentration, what am i supposed to feel while meditating, what is it supposed to be like.

2. Can i just visualize myself breathing while meditating, or must i have nothing in my head at all, not even visualizations?

3. Can i look straight at my eyelids without thinking anything, will this work?

4. And my second part to my topic is, what is standing meditation, and how would one build chi with it?

1. It should be like that your mind is empty which is thinking of nothing but breathing.

2. You should breathe with your abdomen but not just visualize.

3. Yes.

4. You are doing the same as you were sitting. The only way to build up your chi is by abdominal breathing. You do the UMB to sink chi to the lower dan tian.

Ref: UMB

Edited by ChiDragon

The hypnagogic state can be fun to play with, but I've read some studies on concentration meditation and they seem to say the mind is going the other direction. A study on Tibetan monks reported some of the highest frequency brainwaves ever recorded.

EDIT: I got some links: :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_wave

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43006-2005Jan2.html

Yea I think that's the product of mindfulness, which is what some consider an aspect of higher consciousness :)

I'd be careful with experimenting with Gamma though! For many reasons gamma is great but I believe it would be far too much for beginners to handle...heh.

Just chill.

Also, avoid 'levels'.

Standing meditation: Stand up. Don't move.

And when you have a chance, watch this series of videos:

and buy this book:

The Dynamics of Standing Still

It sounds expensive but it's a bargain.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this