Sign in to follow this  
Jox

Qi Gong & Yoga for people with special needs

I work as a social worker ...

On the end of the last year I got one boy (24 years old) with special needs ... Make long story short, he couldnt read, he couldnt write, math only to 30 ... They worked with him before, but no progres at all ...

On the other hand, he works as storekeeper at his relative company ... and he has outstandiing motivation to learn ... :)

I didnt know what to do first ... because conventional way of learning seems dosnt work for him.

I searched a little and came acros Brain Gym. Brain Gym along simple movements contains also simple Yoga postures or asanas (I am not sure, but I think they are).

We began with some Brain Gym exercises, I aded two simple standing postures from qi gong.

In Brain Gym there are exercises where the student have to do movement with his left or right hand - number eight, I added two simple movements from Stilness Movement nei gong which does this with two hands simultaneously ... We als do short fokusing on the dan tien ...

The progres he has done till now is that he began to read and understand short texts, his math get better, his body coordination improved ... and his self confidence and atitude raised ... :)

Seems that with bodywork something changed in him and the first results are seen.

I have just found

recently and thought him
yeserday too ... :)

I am really happy to see the progres he has done ... I will keep you informed ... ;)

Peace, Jox :)

Edited by Jox
  • Like 6

There are subtle refinement one can care for.

First is that one group the whole ear and not only a part of it.

Second is that one breath as well into lower abdomen, chest and shoulders.

Third one do breath in this manner and posture in and out squat a bit down,

with each breath cycle lower.

Fourth reverse the arm posture, left over right + right above left.

Fifth rub and massage the ears while holding this posture to activate the body

which is actually from another series for unswitching the body,

which include the posture but for the eyebrows and then one finger on below the lips

and one finger above the lips massaging this points.(De-Switch)

Sixth is something BaoLin Wu is teaching about the 9 Solar Qigong is to face the sun

The first exercise is simple massage the ears warm and one can take this advice to account

as the benifits are for having a good temperature regulation and also enhance of intuition,listening.

The explaination is as follow: Holding the whole ear is holding the whole body.

The exercise is similar to the Wayne Cook exercise which serves as balancing

of the respiratory hemispheres and it is useful to add it if one can perfom it correctly.

This exercise is to breath careful and not with force as it open up some significant space.

Because of this one can damage internal for a small amount for a great gain and small issues

are showing around in decades as stacked problem- so one has to be careful.

This why one breath in full erect posture and go slowly down ( which take quite some time)

but remember not to do it all at once as one reduce so unneccessary tension so it can overwhelm

the nervous system, so especially older people have to be observant and take small steps.

If each stage (height of the squat) the breath is free one can do a full squat at once.

Take this in mind to not worn out by this exercise so one can enjoy this also in thirty years

without causing "other problems"

The third one is : While it is to follow the instruction as said one has to keep in mind that

a posture that can be reversed has to keep balanced by doing both.

As for breathing if one only do with for example the left arm inside, then it cause

a shifting of having the right chest more open. If one keeps that for years the right side being

more open then left and this cause its own problems having 24/7 imbalanced breathing.

So third is for checking the breathing and both side has to be same.

Also it is for the hemispheres like folding hands, like left thumb over right and reverse.

• Like 2

Hi Friend

Thanks for your post ... informative as always ... :)

For

We did it too ... :) Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

When you massage the eyebrows, ears and the other places.

make the force come from the shoulders as the gently creates

a vibration in respiratory system which is like in Pangu Shen Sheng Moving Form

and decreasing sand like blockages.

• Like 2

I work as a social worker ...

On the end of the last year I got one boy (24 years old) with special needs ... Make long story short, he couldnt read, he couldnt write, math only to 30 ... They worked with him before, but no progres at all ...

On the other hand, he works as storekeeper at his relative company ... and he has outstandiing motivation to learn ... :)

I didnt know what to do first ... because conventional way of learning seems dosnt work for him.

I searched a little and came acros Brain Gym. Brain Gym along simple movements contains also simple Yoga postures or asanas (I am not sure, but I think they are).

We began with some Brain Gym exercises, I aded two simple standing postures from qi gong.

In Brain Gym there are exercises where the student have to do movement with his left or right hand - number eight, I added two simple movements from Stilness Movement nei gong which does this with two hands simultaneously ... We als do short fokusing on the dan tien ...

The progres he has done till now is that he began to read and understand short texts, his math get better, his body coordination improved ... and his self confidence and atitude raised ... :)

Seems that with bodywork something changed in him and the first results are seen.

I have just found

recently and thought him
yeserday too ... :)

I am really happy to see the progres he has done ... I will keep you informed ... ;)

Peace, Jox :)

One of my very dear friends of 20+ years is the founder of this organization http://www.upstreamarts.org/ based out of Mpls, but soon to grow nationally. They specialize in art based systems, geared toward developing learning and advancement programs for the severely disabled. My friend came upon the idea to found this process when he observed his son at a rehearsal. We were both stage actors at that time and were using a 'contact improvisation' technique founded by Jerzy Grotowski. There was no verbal communication, only gesture, contact, carrying, leaning etc. His son was sitting in the wings watching us.

After a few days of watching us as we went through our warmup progressions and process, my friend noticed his son, who has severe physical and mental disabilities, which precluded any verbal communication and heavy physical limitations, he noticed his son was mimicking our movements. My friend began to work with him daily and the response was astounding.

His son began to form a physical grammar that allowed greater communication of wants/needs. He also began to come out of his shell in ways that none of us expected, he usually took weeks of contact to become comfortable and relaxed around new people. When his son was born, he was given a prognosis of living to age 7. Last year he turned 22 and has moved out of his house and is in an assisted living home near his folks house.

Their program focuses heavily on the arts, qi gong, yoga as a means of exposing more avenues of expression and communication to increase confidence and quality of life.

• Like 4

One of my very dear friends of 20+ years is the founder of this organization http://www.upstreamarts.org/ based out of Mpls, but soon to grow nationally. They specialize in art based systems, geared toward developing learning and advancement programs for the severely disabled. My friend came upon the idea to found this process when he observed his son at a rehearsal. We were both stage actors at that time and were using a 'contact improvisation' technique founded by Jerzy Grotowski. There was no verbal communication, only gesture, contact, carrying, leaning etc. His son was sitting in the wings watching us.

After a few days of watching us as we went through our warmup progressions and process, my friend noticed his son, who has severe physical and mental disabilities, which precluded any verbal communication and heavy physical limitations, he noticed his son was mimicking our movements. My friend began to work with him daily and the response was astounding.

His son began to form a physical grammar that allowed greater communication of wants/needs. He also began to come out of his shell in ways that none of us expected, he usually took weeks of contact to become comfortable and relaxed around new people. When his son was born, he was given a prognosis of living to age 7. Last year he turned 22 and has moved out of his house and is in an assisted living home near his folks house.

Their program focuses heavily on the arts, qi gong, yoga as a means of exposing more avenues of expression and communication to increase confidence and quality of life.

Great ... :)

Thank you for the link ... I will check it out ... :)

• Like 1

Good for you!

One of my students was telling me just yesterday about teaching a class where an elderly woman in a wheel chair came in. She was performing the adjusted Gift of Tao movements very well and was exclaiming about feeling the energy and seeing the energy from the instructor. These arts are for everyone.

• Like 2

Good for you!

One of my students was telling me just yesterday about teaching a class where an elderly woman in a wheel chair came in. She was performing the adjusted Gift of Tao movements very well and was exclaiming about feeling the energy and seeing the energy from the instructor. These arts are for everyone.

Interesting ... :)

The Boy I "teach" couldnt do the eight movement with one hand first ... Now he can ... With both hands still can not do it in a fluid way ... but he tries to do so ... ;)

Edited by Jox
  • Like 2

So here we go ... it has been something like one and a half year since I have been working with that "boy" with special needs ...

Seems we suceeded to make quite a big steps ... ;)

He passed the theory and practical exam for a driving licence ... now he has been a driver for a two months already and have his own car ...   :)

I wish him a sefe drivning ... :) :) :)

• Like 6

That's great.  Huge success story.  Can you tell us more?  What you did and how often? 

• Like 1

We worked together twice per week, for 2 - 2,5 hours each time ...  ;)

Beginning ... We allways began with drinking some water and then superbrain yoga squats for 3 - 5 min.

First part, 45 min, were basic simple qiqong exercises like, tendons streching, standing postures and LDT breathing, we also did various brain gym exercises and exercises for concetration, memory, etc ...

Second part, 75 min.

The last 8 months or so, we worked mainly on the driving theory ... so, I was reading and explaining to him "million" of times ... and he repeated, repeated ... we worked with the book, diagrams, pc simulations, experimental tests, etc ... 

For home work, he had to practice qigong exercises daily ... and his parents helped him with theory ...

Because, he has dyslexia, he was allowed to have an interpreter on the theory exam ... he succeded on the forth attempt ... Practical driving test, he made trough on the first attemt ...   :)

Edited by Jox
  • Like 2

Fantastic.  It shows how much work it takes.  Maybe 20% miracle and 80% hard work on both your parts.  Having a student w/ disability or not work for 2 hours shows a master teacher.  

Last question, I like squats and often use kettlebells with them.  What is a superbrain yoga squat?

• Like 1

Fantastic.  It shows how much work it takes.  Maybe 20% miracle and 80% hard work on both your parts.  Having a student w/ disability or not work for 2 hours shows a master teacher. 

Thank you for compliment ...  :)

I have got a job as a social worker in a retirement home, for a one year, recently ...  Interesting and dynamic area of expertise ... Along all the other stuff in there ... I have two interest  groups (8 - 15 people) daily, each from 30 to 45 minutes ... I can do whatever I like ... and I choosed simple gymnastics and qi gong exercises ... I got very positive feedback of residents to this exercises. Seems it is something new to all of them and what is more important, they enjoy it very much ... and of course, I enjoy it too as well ... :)

Till now, I have thought them, simple streching, shaking, breathing with hands movements, simple postures, inner smile, self massage ... and response has gone further, so from each group, for those more interested, we will create one large group which will meet once per week ... 

Stay tuned ... update will be soon ...   ;) 

Peace, Jox   :)  

Edited by Jox

So ... "large" group formed ... it is 10 to 15 people ... we will learn inner smile, 6 healing sounds, some standing postures and we will do cosmic healing sessions too ... great opurtunty to learn ...  

• Like 1

I have also one patient, who suffered brain stroke - anevrizma ... he is tetraplegic, cant talk ... bu he can control his right side a little ...

For now, what I do with him is, that I do movements for him ... left, right, up, down, circling, shaking ... etc ... to try to stimulate his brains as much as possible ... so, that maybe the remaining parts of the brains, which is not damaged,  to take the work done ...

Any advice, how to work with ... sucess stories ... welcome ...

What about qi healing ..?

Peace, Jox ...   :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this