Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

getting too much sleep?

I've been reading about the benefits of "wake therapy" and one thing my reading came across was that wake therapy (reducing sleep) is very effective for people whose mood improves throughout the day, which is me.

Maybe I'll try it? Maybe I'll reduce my sleep and add a nap or two. Mbanu, one of the great wizards of taobums, says that it's important to get as much sleep as possible for the sake of longevity, however. Little babies sleep a lot and old folks don't.

Speaking of little babies, there was a short lived polyphasic revolt on taobums: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?act=po...;f=1&t=1501

Allegedly, polyphasic sleeping is a way to drastically reduce the number of zzzzs needed, but it's almost impossible to succeed for social reasons.

So little babies are polyphasic and sleep a lot... hmmm.

Well.

-Y

I've been reading about the benefits of "wake therapy" and one thing my reading came across was that wake therapy (reducing sleep) is very effective for people whose mood improves throughout the day, which is me.

Would be interested were you got that from? Wake therapy is a method utilized for people with depression... one can often see then that mood gets better... does not work in every case... While I personally know there is a "too long stayed in bed"-state I also know that one simply needs to sleep as much as one needs. Difficult is just sometimes to find out how much it actually is. My sleeping seems to have stabilized recently (for now) and is pretty much "fixed" at 8 hours. Below that I yawn all day, above that I get muscle pain from lying too long...

:)

Hi Yoda

Thanks for the link to the older posts, I'm searching through them now.

I remember something from a TV show many years ago saying the someone was getting all their sleep by sleeping for 3 hrs 2x a day. But I could never find a reference to anything written about it.

Seem like it would work as it's basically 2x 90 min sleep cycles, a lot easier to work than trying to change to a shorter than 90min sleep cycle.

Mal,

I've heard that whatever one's approach, it's best to honor the natural sleep cycles.

My guru says that early sunshine is more healing than sunshine later in the day, so waking up to catch the sunrise is best. Yet I like to stay up late too so what's a girl to do? I think some form of napping may be the answer.

Yours,

Yoda

Yoda, i've been told by 3 qigong masters that early mornig sunshine is the best as well.

The yang rising energy representing growth, renewal, light, awakening etc.

(is the joyous chorous from the birds about 1 hour before sunrise is telling us something or what ?)

A five or 3 hour practice at that time is best, i'm told.

Begining 1 or 2 hour before sunrise, you would be participating with, and absorbing the climax of yin energy, then during sunrise = the transformation into yang energy, then 1 or 2 hours after sunrise would be the rising yang energy.

I think it's because of these dynamics that this period is the time of optimal potential and therefore conducive to effective practice.

Major tranformations can occur from doing the 5 hour stint, it I'm told.

Maybe this could be the start of another thread - "the most auspicious times to practice"?

(not that 'practice' ends as such. I like to carry the state experienced during practice throughout the day, then, hopefully it can become your very way of being)

Edited by mat black

Sign in to follow this