MooNiNite

enlightenment

Accept being normal until becoming enlightened.

or

live a spiritual life while searching for enlightenment

or

Searching for and becoming is an illusion. A mind created story that is just a fiction. When you drop all the story, what is left.

• Like 4

You have to cultivate, or the same habitual patterns and delusions just keep spinning round.

But...

Is there really a difference between 'spiritual' and 'mundane'? What is there to find?

• Like 1

or

Probably somewhere between the two

or

Get to know your fears, resentments, jealousies

Make amends to those you have wronged.

No enlightenment without the inner journey.

This is the most spiritual life I can imagine.

• Like 3

Live a normal life plus cultivate, every flippin' day.

Cultivation is what it is.

There's nothing much else besides but anything beyond or as a spin off from cultivation is an unsought- for bonus.

Not to generalise, but anyone claiming to be enlightened quite possibly isn't.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

or

It is not possible to not live a spiritual life.

In searching you will come to know and you will transcend that knowing and again you will know, and yet once again you will transcend that knowing and finally you will against all odds - know - and then.................you will again transcend that knowing and so on and so for through all the bong water until you come to the release that you know nothing.

• Like 4

when your mind stop making distinguish between normal and spiritualyou are enlightened

Or 'lost'.

For example driving to some new place.

Maybe best be all 'here' and follow that road map.

"As for enlightenment, that's just for people who can't face reality.

(Brad Warner: Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate: A Trip Through Death, Sex, Divorce, and Spiritual Celebrity in Search of the True Dharma).

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

It is not possible to not live a spiritual life. In searching you will come to know and you will transcend that knowing and again you will know, and yet once again you will transcend that knowing and finally you will against all odds - know - and then.................you will again transcend that knowing and so on and so for through all the bong water until you come to the release that you know nothing.

Love this one. I guess in the end, I will look at everyone and everything with a stupid grin on my face. :P

• Like 1

when your mind stop making distinguish between normal and spiritual

you are enlightened

I would say that is only falls into the concept of emptiness rather than enlightenment.

Enlightenment is beyond normal and spiritual. In the philosophy of Chinese Buddhism, enlightenment is attained only by religious cultivation through 禪定(Zen and stillness). Of course, the western philosophy about enlightenment is different.

and in zen also the spiritual is the normal.

there is a zen story of a zen monk who burned a wooden Buddha to heat up in winter time.

wooden Buddha is wood.

• Like 1

It is not possible to not live a spiritual life. In searching you will come to know and you will transcend that knowing and again you will know, and yet once again you will transcend that knowing and finally you will against all odds - know - and then.................you will again transcend that knowing and so on and so for through all the bong water until you come to the release that you know nothing.

This is just perfectly wonderful.

and in zen also the spiritual is the normal.

there is a zen story of a zen monk who burned a wooden Buddha to heat up in winter time.

wooden Buddha is wood.

Yes, that was the story; but what is the philosophy behind it.....???

• Like 1

No tummo in Zen?

No idea.

When our driveway is icy in the depths of winter I put salt down.

That shifts the ice.

Indoors, if it turns chilly we crank up the furnace.

Seems sensible, as does burning a lump of wood to keep the fire going.

Sitting outside in a snowfield meditating whilst surrounded by a gently steaming circle of snow free if somewhat soggy earth ...

For those who enjoy that form of cultivation then that is the form cultivation that they enjoy.

It takes all sorts.

Yes, that was the story; but what is the philosophy behind it.....???

That was another story about a boy monk peeing at the foot of a Buddha statute because he was told he should be peeing at the Buddha. The boy said that it didn't matter where he pees because the Buddha is everywhere. For the other story, it is about unclinging, not even clinging onto a Buddha statue itself. The significance of the other story is that it was about a monk. For lay persons like ourselves, it may not mean much since we may not grow attached to a Buddha statue to begin with.

The Zen monk told his master that he would burn the statue of Buddha to keep warm. All others might think that would be disrespect to Buddha. However, the Zen monk didn't think so. It is because that the statue of Buddha is only a wooden idol but not Buddha himself. Spiritually, he knew Buddha is within his heart. Hence, his thoughts are beyond normal and spiritual; and that is enlightenment.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

What is "spiritual" though beyond just another word, definition, and a belief? Isn't it not possible to not simply be? (Even as nothing) The reason I say this is because too often anything, thoughts/ideas/beliefs, considered to be spiritual, religious, or metaphysical are then just grouped in another division of things and become another attachment which then conflicts with thoughts/beliefs/ideas that are considered to be "opposite". Many scientists seem to completely ignore anything that anyone considers to be spiritual/religious/metaphysical outright, and without any investigation or contemplation simply because of that definition, no matter how correct, "observable", or "real" it may actually be. The same can be said of those who consider themselves to be spiritual and their views towards science even though some of the "conclusions" or "observations" may actually be the same. By becoming attached to any word, term, or definition negatively or positively we can sometimes focus exclusively on it, or dismiss it's "opposite", whereas if we were simply open without choosing a "view" (word/definition/belief) we'd have all of everything available to us.

Enlightenment -

In my own current perception I would personally say it's when you come to the realization that you are infinitely everything. Knowing/not-knowing, being/not-being, all light/all dark, etc, everything. You are always infinitely alone in your perspective, and infinitely surrounded by yourself in infinite "other" perspectives that are also you. You are me, I am you, right now with unique (because there is only one everything) perspectives and "experiences". The one infinite everything, dreaming infinite dreams of "itself"/"yourself"/"myself" that "Is" individually and inseparably us.

• Like 1

I am he as you are he as you are me

And we are all together

• Like 3