LAOLONG

the lieh tzu

Yep. That one worked. Thanks. And Thank you Cobi for starting the thread and possible discussion.

• Like 1

<snip>

...he followed Guan Yin for the Tao...

</snip>

A fella could do worse.

• Like 3

A fella could do worse.

Who was Guan Yin?

D. C. Lau defined Laozi as an anthology of the teachings of the Many Masters such as Guan Yin, Liezi, Shen Dao, and Gu Jiegang...
Livia Kohn in Doaist Mystical Philosophy said, "the assocation of Laozi with Yin Xi, The guardian of the pass... Yin Xi first appears in zhuangzi, once in discussion with Liezi and once with Laozi. Named Guan Yin, a title interpreted as "Pass Guardian Yin", he is represented as a Daoist Philosopher --One who explains the mysteries of Dao to his fellow seekers. ...
Rather unknown and secondary as ancient philosopher, Yin Xi plays a central role in the Daoist Religion as the first recipient of the Daode jing.
Ames wrote in Wandering at ease in the Zhuangzi: Liezi asked Guan Yin how one attains such extradinary feats. Guan Yin replies, it is "not any kind of knowledge, skill, resolution, or daring", rather it has to do with "hold fast to pure Qi". ... One must attain the perspective of Heaven...
Ellen Chen, In Praise of Nothing: "In the Zhuangzi, Guan Yin and Lao Dan are said to be "self-emptying, always generous and inclusive of all, and were never cruel to others". The Lushichuqiu attributes the teaching of emptiness from Guan Yin, a disciple of Lao zi.
  • Like 2

It's about time Liezi received some attention on these forums. Here's a collection of published essays under the title of "Riding the Wind With Liezi: New Perspectives on the Daoist Classic": http://www.google.com/url?q=http://books.google.com/books/about/Riding_the_Wind_with_Liezi.html%3Fid%3D_l6akYls-cMC&sa=U&ei=us-bU6D4NeWxsATbiYDoBw&ved=0CA8QFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFJtzq8HmIHzKbb0igi89uo6_117w.

• Like 2

Good job Dawei.

Yes, I am aware of the differences in opinion as to when Lieh Tzu lived.

I accept Graham's opinion.

Giles, in his "Taoist Teachings", gives Lieh Tzu's birth as 604 BC. That would make him even pre-Lao Tzu. And he spoke of Confucius who wasn't born yet.

But regardless. for those interested in the Alchemic side of Taoism I would think that Lieh Tzu would be the Father of Taoist Alchemy regardless of when he lived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved reading lieh tzu.

It really redefined the Tao for me. So simplistic but such depth. I love when he compares the Tao to a fleck of ant dung to illustrate that the Tao is also the small, seemingly insignificant things in the world.

Thanks for starting this string.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who was Guan Yin?

Female bodhisattva? Or am I getting muddled...

• Like 2

The Three Teachings are One.

Or better... the Vinegar Tasters

I like this idea.

I would be lying if I were to say Taoist philosophy is 100% absolute for me...

• Like 2

Quan Yin's venerated in most Taoist temples and there's generally a Taoist shrine somewhere on the precincts of most Buddhist temples east of Suez.

Quan Yin nembutsu ( chanting the name of) cultivation is really taking off in Thai Buddhism too.

Anybody can cultivate nembutsu, it's very democratic.

No 'clergy' required.

I've posted some Pure Land resource links over on the Buddhism thread if anyone's interested.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

The PDF is a fascinating read. Thank you.

Saved it on my phone. It's next in queue haha

Ok, over half way through.

Freakin' excellent. Can we get some discussion threads going like we with TTC/zhuangzi?

Edited by Rara