Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Latest Movie Seen

I have 2 teenage sons, so I definitely see all the superhero movies.

We saw Amazing Spiderman 2. Watchable, but not likeable. Plot seemed sluggish, actions scenes used a dark, cutaway style that is hard to follow. Even watching him swing through the air seemed more raggedy. Amazing Spiderman 1, was okay to good, not as good as the first 2 Spiderman'szz.

Also saw Godzilla at an Imax 3d. Not a hit with any of us. Modern 3d comes off darkening the whole film and often used gratuitously and they confused loud sounds with drama. Worse Godzilla didn't have a lot of personality. For goodness sake he spend days swimming in the ocean with 2 navy ships seemingly 25 feet away on both sides. What kind of self respecting monster allows himself to be followed that closely for so long? Its like he's a trained seal. Especially since the ships plan to nuke him when he's done swimming across the ocean.

The monster villains seemed generic and uninspired. I enjoyed the Snicker candy bar commercials showing Godzilla more then the movie.

A movie I wanted to see, but has left the area is Only Lovers Left Alive. A philosophical vampire flick. oh well. Any reviews?

I saw Godzilla and Neighbors over the weekend.

Godzilla was not a let down, as I had no expectations. I gave it a C-

Neighbors was a let down as I worked on it and thought it would be better. It got a C as I chuckled a couple times.

I'm stoked for Xmen, that one will not disappoint.

Since you mentioned a vampire film, I'll add that the only vampire movie I've ever really liked was Cronos. 1993, mexican film. Good twist on the vampire genre.

Just saw Ant-Man.  Pretty good, quite a bit more lighthearted then most of the superhero movies lately, except Guardians of the Galaxy, which had its share of good guys being blown to bits.  Though this had a few questionably guys being turned to goo.   My son thought it was the best of the Marvel flicks.  I give it 4 Ants.

• Like 1

Oh dear ... what is coming out in movie world  ....    I like a good movie, its just that not many are being made anymore 

The last good one I saw was this    ... it had a real quality to it  ... I like that. 

Oh dear ... what is coming out in movie world  ....    I like a good movie, its just that not many are being made anymore 

The last good one I saw was this    ... it had a real quality to it  ... I like that. 

then you'll love Ant-Man, its just like Charlie's World.. only more ants. 

More ants than the Australian outback eh ? 

Ever been camping here ? 

481080100_8dd324a534_m.jpg

Bulldog_ant_1.jpg

Firstly, on an almost-movie note, the Netflix series Sense8 is a stunning piece of work.

Written & directed by the Wachowskis (The Matrix team)

Intriguing plot, varied and interesting characters, excellent acting, a beautiful vision, and some incredible action scenes. A near-perfect mix of drama, thriller, action, romance, tragedy, and sci-fi).

Season 1 is basically an amazing 12-hour movie. Cannot recommend enough.

So much better than The Matrix, by the way, and not nearly as silly.

Anyway, as far as real movies..well, I don't go to the cinema much, so most of this was released in or since 2014, but I've recently been entertained / impressed by:

Action:

John Wick (Keanu doing some serious violence)

The Equalizer (Denzel doing some serious violence)

Kingsman: The Secret Service (very silly and very fun; a cross between 007 and MiB)

Guardians of the Galaxy (I'm a sucker for superhero stuff, even though most of the movies are garbage. This was fun.)

Drama/thriller:

Leviathan (I had no idea what this was going to be... it's pretty brilliant. Russian. Slow but gut-wrenching)

Foxcatcher (slow and fairly intriguing psychological study based on true story)

The Imitation Game

Sorry if I'm a bit behind the times..

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this