GrandmasterP

Are you a Left Brain or Right Brain Bum?

I said both in my mind... then took the test...

Result: 50/50

I already knew the result... I've done these tests before to know I swing both ways :D

And in sports it shows up ;)

• Like 1

I am 78% right brained, 22% left brained, I already knew the result, cause I am INFP as personality which is mostly a right brained person.

• Like 1

'“It’s absolutely true that some brain functions occur in one or the other side of the brain. Language tends to be on the left, attention more on the right. But people don’t tend to have a stronger left- or right-sided brain network. It seems to be determined more connection by connection," explained the study's lead author Dr. Jeff Anderson.

...While over-generalized and overstated by popular psychology and self-help texts, understanding your strengths and weaknesses in certain areas can help you develop better ways to learn and study. For example, students who have a difficult time following verbal instructions (often cited as a right-brain characteristic) might benefit from writing down directions and developing better organizational skills. The important thing to remember if you take one of the many left brain/right brain quizzes that you will likely encounter online is that they are entirely for fun and you shouldn't place much stock in your results.'

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

"Congratulations
You use your brain equally."

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 1

70 Right 30 Left I am according to that test.

I suspect that I'm slightly more Right than 70% though.

A few years ago I ran Right Left brain tests with students.

Not a big enough number to draw any meaningful conclusions from but there was a tendency towards right brain predominance.

I looked at QiGong attendees at our centre ( not senior citizens) and our faculty first year undergrads at work.

It's a humanities based programme ( Philosophies of Education).

Had I tested the engineering faculty intake I reckon I'd have found lots of Left brain people there.

Edited by GrandmasterP

No man, it's real, science has no clue what is happening inside your body. Right and left hemispheres are energetically supplied by Ida and Pingala channels, which in turn are supplied by organs energy from dantian and so on. And organs are influenced by elements and so on. Science goes only by double blinded studies that have no meaning,

They discovered patterns in brain imaging for why a brain connection might be strongly left- or right-lateralized, said Jared Nielsen, a graduate student in neuroscience who carried out the study as part of his coursework.

"If you have a connection that is strongly left- lateralized, it relates to other strongly lateralized connection only if both sets of connections have a brain region in common," said Nielsen.

And this please... "a graduate student". I am a graduate student, do you belive me?

Search Todd Murphy with his "God and the brain" lecture on youtube. That is science especially when you invent a "God helmet" with electromagnets that are inducing magnetic fields in brain regions and trigger mystical experiences.

Like that lady neuroscientist from TED that had a right brained seizure and describes a whole bunch of mystical experiences.

• Like 3

44/56.

But, people should note that:

"The second misconception, the 10% myth, is prevalent worldwide and has cultural consequences. It's used to motivate us to work harder and to explain paranormal phenomena. The pioneering psychologist and pre-neuroscientist William James gave public lectures in the early 20th century in which he told audiences that we reach only a small fraction of our brain's full potential. The mutation to 10% came from a nonscientist, self-help guru Dale Carnegie, as a way to boost book sales.

We know that we need all of our brain to function and that a lot of brain activity is occurring even when we are focused on one task. Monitoring brain activity with fMRI or PET scanners and studying damaged brains to observe what functions are lost or affected show that every part of the brain is essential. It's possible to localize different brain regions to be necessary for various kinds of functions based on lesion and brain injury data, but in general, we require 100% of our brains."

-Sam Wang, Neuroscience of Everyday Life, guidebook 1, page 10.

• Like 3

No man, it's real, science has no clue what is happening inside your body. Right and left hemispheres are energetically supplied by Ida and Pingala channels, which in turn are supplied by organs energy from dantian and so on. And organs are influenced by elements and so on. Science goes only by double blinded studies that have no meaning,

And this please... "a graduate student". I am a graduate student, do you belive me?

Search Todd Murphy with his "God and the brain" lecture on youtube. That is science especially when you invent a "God helmet" with electromagnets that are inducing magnetic fields in brain regions and trigger mystical experiences.

Like that lady neuroscientist from TED that had a right brained seizure and describes a whole bunch of mystical experiences.

Here in the UK and generally across Europe in the academy a 'graduate student' is a graduate currently pursuing Masters studies and a 'graduate assistant' is someone who has completed Masters and is currently and actively being supervised towards attaining a PhD ( or EdD) . The theory being that the 'graduate assistant' is assistant to their Doctoral supervisor whose name, by tradition ; appears before the candidate's name on the eventual published thesis.

Round these parts after the first ( Bachelor's) degree one has to be in possession of the 'qualification' above the one you supervise.

The only reason my former employers totally subsidised and kicked my lazy erse towards completing an EdD ( an "Eddie") was so that I could supervise lucrative Masters candidates.

Edited by GrandmasterP

I've done a number of these, including this one, numerous times, and always come up with 85-90% right.

However, there's a pretty convincing article out there (was linked from someone at Facebook, I don't have it handy atm) that basically says the whole theory vis a vis brain activity is bullshit. Creative v logical well and good, but it comes from a lot more than brain compartmentalization.

Oh, haha, I should have read the thread more carefully; I would have seen that my "contribution" had already been covered.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

L&R Brain theory is interesting but it is 'theory'.

Nothing we need to set much store by beyond mere curiosity.

Shake head from side to side vigorously.

Anything rattling?

If answer 'No' then all is probably as it should be to the north of one's neck.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

This is not about compartmentalization. The article above said something about lateralization. Which means that when you scan the brain you can see regions activated on both sides of the brain. The idea of right vs left is that the regions are ampler with that ratio 80:20, or 70:30, or 49:51 on one side versus the other. The brain functions like a hologram, actually the whole brain is activated more or less to create memories and abstract thoughts. Because when you create a thought you call a lot of ideas from all over the place. The more links you do between different ideas, the more intelligent you are. In his lecture Todd Murphy say that the more you do connections between left and right the better, which means you have links that connects both sides of your brain through the centre, the corpus callosum.

• Like 2

Here in the UK and generally across Europe in the academy a 'graduate student' is a graduate currently pursuing Masters studies and a 'graduate assistant' is someone who has completed Masters and is currently and actively being supervised towards attaining a PhD ( or EdD) . The theory being that the 'graduate assistant' is assistant to their Doctoral supervisor whose name, by tradition ; appears before the candidate's name on the eventual published thesis.

Round these parts after the first ( Bachelor's) degree one has to be in possession of the 'qualification' above the one you supervise.

The only reason my former employers totally subsidised and kicked my lazy erse towards completing an EdD ( an "Eddie") was so that I could supervise lucrative Masters candidates.

Same holds true in the States.

• Like 1

Because when you create a thought you call a lot of ideas from all over the place. The more links you do between different ideas, the more intelligent you are. In his lecture Todd Murphy say that the more you do connections between left and right the better, which means you have links that connects both sides of your brain through the centre, the corpus callosum.

I tend to also think one can physically do stuff to make the connections. We are truly creatures of habit but stop and list out 10 habits (or handedness) things you do... then start to work towards changing that. Whether to change it completely or just to balance it (ie: both sides can do it without favoritism). In sports this is more easily taught the younger they are.

• Like 1

I gave up, after the first question , when I looked at her upper half I saw her turing one direction , and when I looked at the lower half she appeared to be turning the other ,,,, ( so wouldnt the question be asking if one was an 'ass man' or 'boob man'? I thought to myself )

and again when I looked at the choice indicators at the bottom, wondering which meant turning to her left :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

I gave up, after the first question , when I looked at her upper half I saw her turing one direction , and when I looked at the lower half she appeared to be turning the other ,,,, ( so wouldnt the question be asking if one was an 'ass man' or 'boob man'? I thought to myself )

and again when I looked at the choice indicators at the bottom, wondering which meant turning to her left :)

Maybe you were thinking with your other brain.

• Like 3