MooNiNite

Taking naps in the day-time

it can be pretty sketchy to do this from my experiences, but i still keep doing it..

The native americans would strongly advise against it

I do so regularly and find it to be an awesome practice which leaves me relaxed throughout the day, and not tired :). There have been some studies recently about this and saying it is recommended (though it was from a scientific aspect, not spiritual).

• Like 3

I like sleeping during the day if I'm tired, sure - it's healthier than forcing yourself to stay awake.

Live dangerously, take naps during the day...

B)

Unseen_Abilities

• Like 2

"As much as possible the Sioux elders tried to discourage people from taking naps during the daytime. They felt people became vulnerable to the Heyokas and other spirits that might require them to do shameful things. "

In my experience day dreaming leaves one open to very intense nightmares and experiences.

My most recent one for example, i woke up in the morning then decided to go back to bed shortly after. Suddenly I found myself in a white room. I was very aware that I was dreaming, but i couldnt wake myself up. then i realized there was a person standing very close infront of me. I looked at them and the person was wearing a black robe covering their face entirely. Suddenly something starting biting my ear, like tearing it off. I couldn't move at all my body was paralyzed so i starting yelling hoping my roommates would hear and wake me up. anyways, a little while later...i woke up. but yeah no1 heard me.

this wasn't even that bad of experience.

i asked a master and he told me it is common on this path and that it happens during "activation phases"

I wouldnt be suprised if a lot more poeple had similar experiences.

the scientific community would associate such experiences with sleep paralysis, but i think it could be more esoteric.

Everyone needs eight hours sleep a night, anything more during the day is a bonus.

That said, as much as I'd like to do so; I can't nap in the day as a rule because I'm working.

Now and again of a weekend after tea I'll doze off for up to an hour I do sometimes feel a bit muzzy headed when I wake up from a nap but that soon passes.

Your body is your best teacher when it comes to taking rest.

Do what it tells you to do.

Edited by GrandmasterP

"As much as possible the Sioux elders tried to discourage people from taking naps during the daytime. They felt people became vulnerable to the Heyokas and other spirits that might require them to do shameful things. "

And that is why some Native Americans use "Dream Catchers".

• Like 1

Ah! Nooners. When I was young it wasn't about naps though.

Now that I am older the nooners are about naps. If I have been physically active during the morning hours I will almost always take a nap. On non-physical days I generally don't take a nap as it interfers with my night-time sleeping.

• Like 2

I spent thirty two years as a shift worker. During that time I could not sit down after midday without dozing off. Now I am no longer working shifts I never snooze during the day as I simply do not feel the need. Just for the record I find that I only need about six hours sleep at night.

Julie Henderson, zapchen pioneer, singles out napping as an important practice in its own right. She encourages napping after other zapchen techniques (sighing, yawning, rocking, etc) to help integrate the effects.

Liminal

• Like 3

ok no1 has day terrors. nevermind thennn

You're referring not to sleep paralysis, but lucid dreaming. Dream initiated lucid dreaming to be precise, since you became aware of the fact that you were dreaming when the dream had already began. This can be terrorizing, but also euphoric in many cases. I have no idea why, but these emotions simply have been added to our repetoire of emotional experiecables.

Sleep paralysis might occur prior to the dream, and after the dream. During the dream however, you don't say your body is paralyzed, because you're too busy moving your dream body or sometimes even "non-body."

Trying to wake yourself up? Some people try to become lucid in a dream for years without succes. It's very weird when you say "I was trying to wake myself up." From that perspective it's like saying "I got a kiss on my cheeks from a beautiful woman, and I was trying to take it off." Whaaaaaaaaaat?

I've experienced that terrors are infact nothing more then initiation into full lucidity. There's a certain amount of awareness one can built up in the dream, which brings many things to your awareness. To reach that, you have to "pass" certain fears. If you succesfully pass these fears, being creative, you will enter full lucidity, and you can basicly do whatever you wish. A free universe, eternity to choose from.

To pass these fears you have to clean up your vibrational bagage. All of your habbitual thoughts, meaning learned believes, etc. You have to become as pure in mind as you are in soul. And the way to do that is to HAVE FUN. Nothing is more pure then joy itself.

Don't fight the terror, because it is you. You cannot win from You. Believe me, I've tried to win from myself in my dreams, I fought my own dream, but I cannot win from myself. You are your own greatest fear, so face yourself! Recognize the YOU in YOUR DREAM! ALL OF IT IS YOU. You are the dreamer, you are the dream. You are biting your own ear off. Why would you be in terror with yourself? It makes no sense. Simply stop biting your own ear off.

Whatever you do, don't deny you are biting your own ear off. You can't change what you don't own. We hardly own anything in our lives anymore. Atleast own your dreams, and work you way up from there.

Edited by Everything
  • Like 2

Yes, people who begin to have lucid dreams, sometimes they see that dark silhouette which is actually their own shadow. You have the impression that is a demon or a malefic spirit but in fact is your own psychic or mental shadow. There are some OBE books that mention this, although I don't remember the titles so I cannot recommend. Anyway there is a guy who posted on google video a 7 hour lecture about neuroscience and spiritual experiences, and he too mention this shadow. I have to search for that lecture, but you have to listen the whole set of 7 hours to find that part.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 1

I found it: Todd Murphy about God and the brain:

I highly recommend the whole series, he is talking about chakras, kundalini, psychic powers, enlighteneing and reincarnation among others.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 2

I found it: Todd Murphy about God and the brain:

Seminar Video

I highly recommend the whole series, he is talking about chakras and reincarnation among others.

Cool thanks, I felt like channeling youtube.

Edited by Everything

I think that if you do not believe napping during the day is bad for you then it is a very good thing if your body tells you to and you can.

In Europe in the old castles the old beds are very short. They are not short because the people were short, they are short because people sat upright ( legs out and torso inclined) when they slept because they were told if you sleep lying down would leave yourself open to possession and other undesirable possibilities.

I'm part Iroquois and have no intention of knocking the elders but sometimes one seer can start a long term dogma and also it may have started in a particular area where certain spirits were a daytime pest. The air is thick with many dimensions and many beings and what I know would fit on a pin because nothing fits on just about anything.

I have used napping whenever and wherever because I have never in general adhered to a schedule other than those few times I have worked for someone else. And now I have a young son - believe me - you will take a nap if the opportunity presents itself!

I am glad you brought up this topic - I did not know anyone anywhere had a spiritual taboo on napping.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 4

ok iv been having lucid dreams for a long time, like years now. i remember watching the movie Waking Life when it first came out.

this is something on a different level.

Edited by MooNiNite

lucid dreaming was fun, flying through the skys and maybe doing strange things without a care in the world..idk this isnt lucid dreaming though, lucid dreaming is dream like and not so real feeling. these experiences are real feeling.

If you travel somewhere meet people you know and they never saw you there.

That was lucid dreaming.

If, on the other hand; your sensitive chums report that they did see you there.

That was astral travel.

Edited by GrandmasterP

It's still better to physically go there. At least we still hold to the memory of the experience because we can see the scars.