Sign in to follow this  
Green Tiger

Please delete

Two threads with the same enigmatic title, (in the way that all forms of insanity are enigmatic).

Is this just a shot in the dark in your struggles to be 'different' ?

Best to not shoot in the dark. Better still to not have to shoot at all.

An unlikely comment to come from an ex-soldier. If you'd voiced an opinion like that while you were still fighting for Uncle Sam,... methinks you never would have got promoted beyond potato peeling duties.

I think they had flares they would shoot over the enemy so they could see them when it was dark. I could be mistaken, everything I know about military operations, I learned from Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now.

An unlikely comment to come from an ex-soldier. If you'd voiced an opinion like that while you were still fighting for Uncle Sam,... methinks you never would have got promoted beyond potato peeling duties.

Hehehe. Not really. It's more about how one says things more than the things one says.

And afterall, our goal was and still is to protect, not kill. (Yes, sometimes one must kill in order to protect.)

I peeled potatos in basic training but after that I was too valuable for duties like that. And I normally had security assigned to me so I rarely even did guard duty.

I think they had flares they would shoot over the enemy so they could see them when it was dark. I could be mistaken, everything I know about military operations, I learned from Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now.

You are not mistaken. And trip flares are an essential.

Man you Americans had great kit.

We used to tie empty cans with stones in them onto a string stretched between two sticks.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

We used to tie empty cans with stones in them onto a string stretched between two sticks.

Hehehe. Our Boy and Girl Scouts use those.

• Like 1

Luxury ! You try to tell that to the young people of today and they won't believe you.

• Like 2

We thought ourselves lucky to have empty tin cans and stones to put in 'em.

Luxury!

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this