Sign in to follow this  
skydog

To look at, understand, create, reject value systems

Edited by skydog
  • Like 1

Yes, I know, sometimes my confidence comes off as arrogance but I never mean it to be that way. I am an old man so y'all need give me a little slack, Okay?

• Like 5

All im saying is its often perception sometimes confidence is wrongly seen as arragance

Sometimes arragance is seen as confidence

• Like 1

All im saying is its often perception sometimes confidence is wrongly seen as arragance

Sometimes arragance is seen as confidence

Yeah, I understood what you were saying but I also understand that I am sometimes misunderstood in this regard. I know you weren't pointing your finger at me but what you said felt so true in my life.

That is why it is important to try to understand others before we start making assumptions. A Taoist Sage would at times appear to be arrogant, or many other people as well.

The amount of wealth a person has doesn't apply too much here (although it does somewhat) because it is the individual's character traits that will show the person for what they are; either supremely confident or just arrogant.

Edit because I had to fix the misspelled "Toist".

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

The definition of arrogant is having an exaggerated sense of one’s own importance or abilities.

The definition of confident is feeling or showing confidence in oneself or one's abilities or qualities.

Confidence means the feeling or belief that one can have faith in or rely on someone or something.

So by definition a useless and hopeless person may possess a high degree of arrogance or indeed confidence. We have heard mention of the very rich and celebrities but what of politicians. Most people have very little confidence in their rulers but those rulers are probably possessed of a Cromwellian sense of their own prowess. It is all very worrying.

But also beware of the humble. "I am well aware that Iam the umblest person going My mother is likewise a very umble person.We live in an umble abode." Uriah Heep.

• Like 1

Good manners cost nothing.

Arrogance might be a sign that the person feels insecure.

Thing is if someone is perceived to be arrogant by others then ultimately that is to their own detriment because people will tend to avoid an arrogant person.

An arrogant manager is only ever told or shown what it is that staff chooses to show or tell her or him hence they are not an effective manager.

A pleasant manager will find out more and more work will be done.

People deliver better for managers who they can relate positively to and with.

On the other hand some people can objectify confidence as arrogance.

" Reverse snobbery" we used to call that.

These days it goes by 'passive aggression'.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

normal

Edited by skydog
  • Like 1

Arrogance cuts across social class and station in life. It might seem particularly loathesome when displayed by rich and famous people of a certain age, but is equally prevalent among broke, no-name teens.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 4

Arrogance cuts across social class and station in life. It might seem particularly loathesome when displayed by rich and famous people of a certain age, but is equally prevalent among broke, no-name teens.

Liminal

I need to edit some words

Words are for one person, though they were not rude

Edited by skydog

Skydog,

Just to let you know, I really haven´t given any thought to whether you´re arrogant or not. I just saw something in your post that struck me and I wanted to riff on it.

In general, I think we human beings have a tendency to attribute bad qualities to people who we imagine have advantages we don´t. So it can feel good, if I´m not rich and famous, to imagine that people who are that way are arrogant or what have you. A person might say, for instance, "hey I may not be Brad Pitt but at least I´m not an asshole." Not that you, in particular, are saying any such thing. Just that people in general tend that way.

As a middle-aged gay introvert, I think straight party-loving twentysomething muscle boys are arrogant. Really though, it´s just sour grapes.

Liminal

• Like 1

Actually that is a good point to bear in mind.

• Like 2

normality

Edited by skydog

Edited by skydog

Mrs GMP's chum went for dinner at The Ritz in London on Monday night.

Bottle of house wine £94.

Cleaners at The Ritz get minimum wage.

There's flippin' arrogance.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Sign in to follow this