Sign in to follow this  
Green Tiger

Tai Chi more effective than walking

A recent study compared Tai Chi to walking, so far as their antioxidant effects are concerned.

"Our findings suggest that the practice of Tai Chi produces a more effective antioxidant effect than walking."

I personally don't put much stock in these kinds of studies, but I thought the community might be interested.

• Like 3

Oral health.

"Our findings suggest that the practice of Tai Chi has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects that are linked to the improvement of periodontal disease in older adults."

• Like 1

Well, just from a physical point of view, I would think that Tai Chi has a much more positive "all body" exercise benefit than does walking because much more of the body is involved in Tai Chi than is with walking.

And from that I would suggest that Tai Chi would provide many secondary benefits that are beyond what walking provides.

• Like 3

Well, just from a physical point of view, I would think that Tai Chi has a much more positive "all body" exercise benefit than does walking because much more of the body is involved in Tai Chi than is with walking.

And from that I would suggest that Tai Chi would provide many secondary benefits that are beyond what walking provides.

Good point. It makes me wonder which is more beneficial: Tai Chi or Yoga? Yoga involves putting the body in a wider variety of positions and almost certainly works more muscle groups.

Really though, what I would like to see are studies comparing two different styles of Tai Chi instruction. They never really even discuss what the students in these 6-month tai chi programs learn, only that they took a 6-month course. Even the time period isn't all that indicative of how intense their training was. Did they practice once a week for 6 months or every day?

I suspect that, if someone were to compare the health benefits of my instructor's style of training and another instructor in my city, they would find a significant difference.

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 1

Learning Tai Ji styles or instructions are secondary. How long has one practiced is primary.

There is no comparison between Tai Ji and walking if someone really understand Tai Ji.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Good point. It makes me wonder which is more beneficial: Tai Chi or Yoga? Yoga involves putting the body in a wider variety of positions and almost certainly works more muscle groups.

I wouldn't be able to speak to Yoga as I don't know enough about it. But sure, flexibility and coordination are important in both.

Sign in to follow this