Sign in to follow this  
DreamBliss

Could we start a list of retreats and workshops?

I was just wondering if we could start a list of retreats and workshops. Maybe provide the name, description, duration, location and price for each event. Focus on meditation, yoga, spiritual practice and other types of events related to this forum.

Maybe we could even get a pool going of everyone interested in going to a retreat, carpooling in groups to get there and chipping in some money based on what they can afford.

Googling is next to useless I have discovered tonight. In case the list is not a feasible idea, or nobody wants to do it, I am looking or something, preferably free, but no more than $200.00, for the whole event. Some sort of relaxing getaway, maybe with a day or two of silence, meditation and yoga. Hot springs or a hot tub is a bonus, as well as a natural swimming area.

I am not interested in what appears to the Buddhist idea of retreat, that is where you actually work during the whole thing, and you pay good money to do so! Every retreat I have found with any kind of Buddhist foundation has some sort of, "mindful work" or "cleaning up the grounds" involved. As I already clean up the grounds where I live, and absolutely despise, loathe and hate such work, I really don't think I would find that relaxing in a retreat!

I don't mind something where helping out would be nice, but is not required, which would allow me to make a choice. Do I feel willing to serve in this area or not? Better I am willingly doing the work without feeling like I am forced into it, than unwillingly doing it and being forced into it.

This whole thing, my experience so far, people just don't understand. They don't get it. They tell me I should be thankful. I should be grateful. But I have bucked haybales, chopped wood, mowed lawns and washed dishes my whole stinking life! I don't get paid for the work I do around here, and the person I am doing it for, instead of paying (or even thanking) me, often expects me to do more or cook her supper or something.

No, for a minimum of 5 days, preferably 7 or more, I want to reward someone else the opportunity to serve me. To allow me to just relax, meditate, socialize with people who I might have more in common with than the Christians all around me here. I need to get away from all of this, just fore a few days. Have a real vacation. I have not had any time away in years! There's some pain in my new signature, a reason I wrote that, in case nobody noticed.

What I really, really want is a retreat that is also a workshop covering as many of my areas of interest as possible. Building/Construction. Art/Drawing/Painting. Music/Singing. Dreams/Lucid Dreaming. Astral Projection/OBE. Heck even Barefoot Running!

So if you know of anything in the Washington/Oregon USA area do you think you could post here and let me know about it? Please keep in mind, it needs to be in Oregon or Washington, and it needs to be no more than $200.00, unless they have some sort of bursar as they do for Findhorn.

I really appreciate your help! And if we could get a list of events up and running, or some sort of calendar, that would save a lot of hours Googling my eyes bloody, and it would be a benefit to everyone else as well.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you're looking to be pampered. Nothing wrong with that, but generally speaking, spiritual retreats are not designed with that as the primary objective.

Perhaps you might want to save a bit more and reward yourself with an annual treat at a spa resort or beach club somewhere. As per your request for service rather than to serve, this would be more in tune with that expectation, dont you think? Imagine all the indulgences you could avail of on such a getaway... perfect fit to your agenda.

Not sure where you plucked the idea that buddhist retreats have lots of demands placed on participants. Seems like you have been somewhat misinformed.

Edited by C T

Good idea.

How about an...

" Upcoming Events" thread title?

Maybe sub threads for Europe/ USA/ Elsewhere.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Oh, I know what you mean about the work. Not my idea of a retreat either. That said, I suspect whoever coined the phrase "there´s no free lunch" was probably pricing spiritual getaways in the Oregon/ Washington area. Five days minimum for a maximum of $200 is gonna be hard to pull off.

If you just want to be left alone to do your own thing, rather than receiving instruction, I´d check out religious centers. I forgot the name of the place, but I spent some time once at an, I think Catholic, place out in the country in a beautiful setting where silient contemplation was encouraged. No obligation to profess any particular faith or participate in services, etc.

The primo retreat center in Oregon to my mind is Breitenbush Hot Springs. Beautiful place (but only so-so food) and lots of interesting offerings. Most of the workshops last only three days or so and cost more than you want to pay. You could cut down your cost and up your length of stay by not taking a formal workshop and just hanging out on your own. It´s rustic to be sure, but beautiful and the natural hot springs are super relaxing.

Liminal

Dreambliss,

you may just go the seminar that sound good to you

and ask them what they do before your participate

then you can decide before you join.

Also BaguaKickAss is organize a meeting of

Taobums and you may see if you find out if it fits you.

Even to get a cabin for that many days would cost $200, especially in WA state. There is a really nice hostel (and yurts and camping spots too) over on Orcas Island at Doe Bay Resort. These would definitely fit within your budget for a self retreat, and it is a really lovely place with a spiritual vibe (though they don't lead retreats or teach anything, unless you count kayaking). In town though there are often low cost learning opportunities as there is a large spiritual community over there. They are a bit newage, but not in a bad way :). I used to vacation there once per month, always met awesome people too. You just take the ferry from Anacortis. (to stay within your budget bike or hitchike on the other side, it's safe, and pretty standard).

• Like 1

That is good value.

Our seaside cabin near Skegness at the end of this month for 7 nights is costing us not far short of £700

• Like 1

Friend:

Could you provide a link or something to what you are referring to? I will search for BaguaKickAss here in the forums, but I am not sure what specifically you are referring to.

All Else:

Thank you for the link. I am browsing through it now, but it appears to be a very old thread. We really need something pinned with a listing of current events, in the way GrandmasterP suggested. I was too angry and frustrated to search last night. I figured someone would have done something like that. but I did not find it just browsing around, which is all I had the patience for.

A few more things... I am not looking to be pampered something like a famous actor going to some luxurious resort, assuming this is what famous actors do. I just want to go somewhere, and not have to do any work. Is that being pampered? If the place happens to allow people to do work around the place to help cover the costs of being there, as long as it is obligational and I can do the work after I spend a week or so relaxing, I don't mind that at all. I just want a week or so, but I will be content with 3-5 days, where I simply have no work I need to do. Is that too much too ask?

Furthermore in this place I would like to go for no less that 3 days to as many days past 7 as possible, I would like to be spiritually nourished in some way. Through talks, some sort of workshop, training in meditation or yoga, or both, etc. I guess I must be naive, but I would think a truly spiritual guru, master or teacher would not expect money, especially large amounts of it, from this they instruct. I understand that facilities must be paid for, and everyone needs to make a living, but do you really have to charge $500.00 - $5000.00 for teaching someone how to barefoot run, or lucid dream, or astral project, or meditate, or do yoga? Really?

I mean if they are truly spiritual, and the place hosting them is run by truly spiritual people, shouldn't money be coming to them easily, so that they don't need to charge so much? How spiritual can you be if you are struggling with your finances? Something seems off here. I know that if I had anything to teach that anyone wanted to learn I would do it freely, simply accepting donations, and not expecting any payments. I would be trusting that the things I need are provided. And as far as I know I am not super spiritual or enlightened. So what's the deal with these other people?

All I am looking for is to get away from a few things that I am stuck with here in my current living situation. 1. Work. 2. Having to figure out everything on my own, not having anyone of more experience to talk to. 3. A Christian religious environment where I am left feeling spiritually malnourished. I just want to get away from these 3 things, have a vacation from these 3 things, for 3-7+ days. I'll figure out how to get there, but the most money I could ever hope to raise is $200.00. So where does a financially limited, overworked and spiritually malnourished person go to get away for a few days in Oregon or Washington? Is there any place?

Edited by DreamBliss

I mean if they are truly spiritual, and the place hosting them is run by truly spiritual people, shouldn't money be coming to them easily, so that they don't need to charge so much? How spiritual can you be if you are struggling with your finances? Something seems off here. I know that if I had anything to teach that anyone wanted to learn I would do it freely, simply accepting donations, and not expecting any payments. I would be trusting that the things I need are provided. And as far as I know I am not super spiritual or enlightened. So what's the deal with these other people?

Spiritual people also need food, shelter, security and a few of the nicer things in life. Contrary to 'The Wish' I don't think money comes to the cultivated any easier or magically then anyone else. Those who are too giving may collect leeches who take and do not give back. There are wonderful Ashrams out there (I love Sivananda on Paradise Island), with very spiritual and saintly people, but they expect to be paid before you walk in.

On a positive note, I take you're near Oregon or Washington already, and you want a 3 to 7 day break from life for $200. I'd suggest finding an exception spiritual book/CD/Podcast or series, and take it with you on a journey. Find a beautiful area with a cheap $30 to $40 a night hotel, stay there, hike, read, consider. Dig deep into the book and consider it a detox time from civilizations.

Then your next questions should be- Which book/source, finding a cheap hotel near some beauty and getting there.

• Like 2

It is a current thread, look at the very last page, someone just posted an event a few days ago. People use it quite regularly to post events :).

$30-$40 per night? You don't live in WA or OR do you? :D The least expensive 2 star I can ever find is $60 per night these days, plus tax. (more in the summer)

The folks who teach for free, don't tend to have large retreat centers, because well, they are broke and have no income ;). Well either that or have a day job to pay the bills, and hence no time for retreat centers.

I seriously looked into running a retreat center, and I was trying to do it at the lowest cost possible because tbh most magicians are broke lol. Even with camping, I couldn't do a 5-7 day one for $200 per person.

I don't feel like going into details, but for fun write up a business plan that involves running a retreat center, including insurance, food prep requirements met, food storage, staff, and the place for people to sleep... where it won't go into the red.

There's a retreat center for $35 per night on one of the gulf islands her in BC, and it doesn't look like any chores (accept your own food cooking of course), need doing :). It is all about a spiritual connection, though they don't teach you, but are open for advice and such.

Hmmm teach for free, but have no work trade? I'm glad some people do that, because I sure don't ;). Now if my dentist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, the grocery store clerks, the postal workers, the farmers and people at the local restaurant, and so forth would all provide me with stuff for free and work for free, then I'll give it some more thought. I don't feel that what I do is any less valuable than what they do. This is especially true for full time teachers, 60 hour workweek for free, would be difficult, even if you love it. Oh wait, my acupuncturist and I do trade! :) I have another person who I swap teaching for chores. Then another person I swap money for teaching.

• Like 2

How spiritual can you be if you are struggling with your finances?

Good point. I´d venture that for many the spiritual journey passes through a voluntary-poverty-teach-for-nothing cul de sac before hitting the I-charge-cause-I´m-bloody-well-worth-it highway. Teachers who have worked through their money issues don´t struggle with finances precisely because they charge what they need to for their time and people pay it.

Liminal

(I feel the need to soften this a little. For the record, I wish things were cheaper too. And if someone wants to offer something for free or at low cost I think that´s as valid a choice as any other. So I´ll leave my original post as it stands but imagine it taken down a notch or two. Basically I just want to say that I don´t buy the oft-expressed sentiment that spiritual teachings shouldn´t cost money.)

Edited by liminal_luke

I'll figure out how to get there, but the most money I could ever hope to raise is $200.00.

I'm curious about this. Does someone steal your money if you save more than $200? This seems to be rather self-limiting. If you can save $200, why can't you save $400? It may take twice as long, and I understand you may feel an urgent need to get away...but I don't understand the nature of that limit.

• Like 1

Another idea, the rainbow gathering :). They have one in WA state. Last I knew it was free, just have to get there (and there are many carpool options). MANY spiritual folks go to these things, and the event is all about sharing.

• Like 1

if you can score a round trip plane ticket to india, you can stay for 2 months easy on $200 at a fairly nice spiritual facility

• Like 2

The folks who teach for free, don't tend to have large retreat centers, because well, they are broke and have no income ;). Well either that or have a day job to pay the bills, and hence no time for retreat centers.

I seriously looked into running a retreat center, and I was trying to do it at the lowest cost possible because tbh most magicians are broke lol. Even with camping, I couldn't do a 5-7 day one for $200 per person.

Hmmm teach for free, but have no work trade? I'm glad some people do that, because I sure don't ;). Now if my dentist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, the grocery store clerks, the postal workers, the farmers and people at the local restaurant, and so forth would all provide me with stuff for free and work for free, then I'll give it some more thought. I don't feel that what I do is any less valuable than what they do. This is especially true for full time teachers, 60 hour workweek for free, would be difficult, even if you love it. Oh wait, my acupuncturist and I do trade! :) I have another person who I swap teaching for chores. Then another person I swap money for teaching.

Lol, you reminded of this blogpost: http://www.inominandum.com/blog/my-poor-magician-post/

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

Oh now that whole saying someone is bad at magic because they aren't rich, oh that is a pet peeve of mine! Some of the most kick ass magicians I know are seriously broke! We actually had this discussion at meetup this week, if they are so good at magic why aren't they rich. (I was asked why I don't live in a mansion with a dozen concubines lol). Well for one each person has different areas they are really good at and some they aren't. Being a magician doesn't change this. It works on our already natural talents. Also it is about priorities, you manifest what you put the most effort into. To many magicians exploring the universe and perfecting the works just ranks higher than buttloads of money.

Btw, on a side note, I forgot to add to my mini rant above.... not like I haven't also taught half the population for free over the years (or so it feels like it), it is just that I'm not going to teach some random stranger for free, I would have no free time (or supplies left). Hell I have even spent about $500 to go teach a fellow Taobum who ended up homeless, because I felt he needed it. (no this is not an open offer ROFL) But most people, yeah they gotta pay ;). I get requests for free stuff every single day actually.

Camping in Washington State is one of the more awesome things that a person can do. Camp by a running stream and get free massage by wading in the stream. Let the night air pamper you as you bring in the negative ions from the stream. Let the glory of Tao pamper you as you sit in the morning, listening to the water flow, and gaze at nature's beauty. BEST RETREAT EVER!!!

And you can most probably do a week for less than $200. Come back home refreshed and fully charged.

I would LOVE to be able to do this again. Such an amazingly beautiful expression of nature exists in Washington!

• Like 5

Oh now that whole saying someone is bad at magic because they aren't rich, oh that is a pet peeve of mine! Some of the most kick ass magicians I know are seriously broke! We actually had this discussion at meetup this week, if they are so good at magic why aren't they rich. (I was asked why I don't live in a mansion with a dozen concubines lol). Well for one each person has different areas they are really good at and some they aren't. Being a magician doesn't change this. It works on our already natural talents. Also it is about priorities, you manifest what you put the most effort into. To many magicians exploring the universe and perfecting the works just ranks higher than buttloads of money.

Btw, on a side note, I forgot to add to my mini rant above.... not like I haven't also taught half the population for free over the years (or so it feels like it), it is just that I'm not going to teach some random stranger for free, I would have no free time (or supplies left). Hell I have even spent about $500 to go teach a fellow Taobum who ended up homeless, because I felt he needed it. (no this is not an open offer ROFL) But most people, yeah they gotta pay ;). I get requests for free stuff every single day actually.

Some part talent but the big part is psychological. Most don't understand themselves eventhough they have great skills in many arts.

Edited by tendou
  • Like 1

Here's a fun one in WA state for $260, if you are into such things :). Tons of workshops, tons of spiritual people, camping, lots of food... Nothing required aside from showing up and setting up your tent (unless you do work trade option for a half price entrance fee)

http://fairycongress.com/

Sign in to follow this