Sign in to follow this  
dogson

NLP/Hypnosis and energy work?

Hey guys,

I've been researching NLP and hypnosis lately, and the visualizations and emphasis on "mastering your state" have been very useful for me. Does anyone have experience with this kind of "mind hacking" as it relates to your energy work / martial arts practice?

NLP's whole claim to fame is modeling successful people. I'm really curious if it's possible, for example, to model exactly what a chi gong master does in terms of how they access the feeling and kinesthetics of doing chi gong for decades, in order to accelerate growth and cultivation of bioenergy.

• Like 1

I'm a NLP 'Master' for no other reason that some years ago when money flowed like water my workplace put all the Principal Lecturers through a programme one day a week for an academic year as 'staff development'.

Less than convinced and grumpy about being made to attend the sessions I sat through the first part of session one with my arms crossed radiating hostility and firing the occasional barbed question at the trainer.

I regarded NLP as BS and the trainer as a snake oil salesman wasting my 'valuable' time.

We broke for coffee after a couple of hours and the trainer guy came and sat with me chatting politely and nothing at all about NLP.

I found myself thinking ' This guy is OK, I've been a bit of a boor.'

Then the penny dropped that he was 'doing' NLP to me and I told him so.

He replied...

" Yes I was. Good isn't it?"

From that time on I buckled down and quite enjoyed the course.

NLP is a useful tool to have for anyone dealing with others.

It is an externally directed practise, one needs a 'subject' to apply the techniques towards.

The external 'subject' is the practise 'object'.

The objective being to 'programme' the subject neuro-linguistically towards a certain end.

Usually that objective is getting the subject from " No" to " Yes".

Not so sure NLP's especially effective for 'self directed change' insofar as to do it well one has to somewhat step outside of one's regular mindset and into 'NLP mode'.

I do know that some NLP techniques are marketed for 'self change' and maybe those do work but if they do then the person they work upon is not practising NLP for them-self rather they are allowing an NLP master to work on them via a book or DVD.

I have reservations as to how well that could work.

NLP practice is a kinaesthetic activity as much as it is auditory or cognitive.

A book or DVD cannot 'mirror' one hence the 'force' of the NLP is, of necessity; very dilute.

If it works for you then by all means use NLP.

You do want to do that don't you, Yes?

( That last sentence is a NLP riff BTW. But it works best if you're 'there' to hear and see it enacted.)

Edited by GrandmasterP

Hey guys,

I've been researching NLP and hypnosis lately, and the visualizations and emphasis on "mastering your state" have been very useful for me. Does anyone have experience with this kind of "mind hacking" as it relates to your energy work / martial arts practice?

NLP's whole claim to fame is modeling successful people. I'm really curious if it's possible, for example, to model exactly what a chi gong master does in terms of how they access the feeling and kinesthetics of doing chi gong for decades, in order to accelerate growth and cultivation of bioenergy.

There is a graduate of my 500 hr clinical qigong program who also teaches hypnosis and NLP. As a therapeutics tool these are very helpful.

"I'm really curious if it's possible, for example, to model exactly what a chi gong master does in terms of how they access the feeling and kinesthetics of doing chi gong for decades, in order to accelerate growth and cultivation of bioenergy."

The only way to do this is to practice chi gong for decades - no substitute or shortcut.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

Helps a tiny bit, along with a buttload of practice. People do this naturally, even thought who don't train NLP at all. Also if you are experienced in energetics, you can "model" them on many levels to help your training a lot; I feel this is how it is supposed to be done at first when one is new, and not some trick or shortcut at all.

• Like 1

I was a speaker at one of Richard Bandler's seminars - as a psychic. Apparently later he was surprised to find out I was not a "professional psychic". Additionally I met with him at his house and we played some music - he had quite a few instruments and we had a good time.

I assembled several other friends with various psychic abilities to also speak at this event. It went very well in the climate of receptivity that was present.

I do not know much about NLP but any work in which you might expose your habituations to an openness for creative change can act upon ones daily sleeping walking state. At times my exposure to NLP brought a hint of manipulation to my awareness but it was never of a bothersome type and nothing more than relatively naked experimentation.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

If you are a really subtle observer of the movements and state of mind of the teacher and really just get your ego out of the way and do the technique exactly as he does it, you will be doing better than anyone i have ever seen attending qigong seminars and classes.

However that level of observation, and patience may take decades of practice to develop.

Ive seen gong fu "masters" who cant do it, and 20 year old girls that can.

A few years ago I bought a yang jwing-ming taichi dvd and wasnt too impressed. I looked at it recently and it blew my mind. His movements just seemed to flow out of the grainy picture.

Edited by phore
  • Like 1

Dabbled with NLP books for a while and looking to go back some time soon.

I'm not sure about how NLP could model the physiology, but using Dilt's model of logical levels, we have a set of categories by which we can extract information from a high-level master.

*spiritual purpose

*identity

*beliefs/values

*capability

*behavior

*environment

I think these are useful considerations.

Modeling the physiological aspect, perhaps, can be done using the approach of a somatic/bodywork education system. e.g. Feldenkrais Method (there may be others). I'm not sure if it was Bandler who said it, but I got it from the NLP crowd that Feldenkrais is the NLP of movement.

Edited by Tsunami_MAPUA
  • Like 1

Good post.

Thing is though there's a limited choice for most folks looking for a cultivation and a teacher who they can see regularly.

Most of us tend to end up at a local dojo that is 'best fit' and take it from there.

It is nice to schlep off on retreat now and again and learn from some big hitter but for weekly contact and training a local teacher is as good as it gets.

A humble local teacher who knows her or his stuff is far better than the very best teacher via a book or DVD.

Being physically present with a teacher and amongst other cultivating colleagues as a normal part of our weekly life beats any and all remote media hands down.

No book or DVD can effectively differentiate delivery to meet individual learning needs.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this