Sign in to follow this  
freeone

freedom

Hi everyone and let me start with a question.

First, you master the world.

Then, you master the body.

Finally you master the mind.

What do you think?

There will be those who disagree with the order. The body is the most easily mastered and the world could only be mastered when you have the other two under your hat. An interesting concept so lets see what others think.

You will be able to post freely on the forum now but we ask that you take the time to read the two posts at the top of the Lobby and take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/. This covers all that you need to know about the smooth running of the Tao Bums.

Good luck with the mastery,

Chang.

Edited by Chang

Could you elaborate what you mean by "mastering the world"? Also, I'm inclined to agree with Chang, commenting on the order of it. I would say that you must work on mastering the mind and body simultaneously. Fixating on one and ignoring the other until you have the first "mastered" doesn't sound balanced to me. Like Yin and Yang. Cultivation of the body and cultivation of the mind work together.

Also, welcome! I'm new here too, haha. :D

Welcome to TTB freeone and student.

Who is 'mastering' what?

How?

Why?

Edited by GrandmasterP

Haha.Thanks all.

Obviously, you develop your mind and body in those 3 step.

You don't have a choice. You have to do the mastering the world step first because you are convinced the world is master over you.

By seeing that you are the one who determine it, you become the master over the world. If you shows to yourself that you can't win then you're giving outer circumstance power and that you're demonstrating that you are powerless in everything and every way.

If you want a good thing. You should get it.

The next step, master the body. If you're sick, you heal the sickness.

The last step is to become master over your mind. Now you are a Master.

At this stage, if there are sickness or pain you can choose not to feel it. You can heal it, but you can choose not to heal it. If it's hot, you choose to feel cool. Vice versa.

Whatever happens, if the whole world hates you, you don't feel at all disturbed. You have a very strong and capable feeling of peace no matter what happens.

This is the chronology that is practical or feasible for most. If you go in any other way, there is danger of delusion.

You can say I already master my mind, I am beneath the suffering, but deep down you know you're not if you haven't master the previous step. Deep in you, you know you are lying to yourself. In actuality, the level of those unspiritual active go getter people are higher than yours spiritually.

Again. You use mind in all step. Or something akin to the mind. You are tempering your mind in the first, second and last step. But in the last the level of mind mastery is higher. Way higher.

Edited by freeone

Welcome to TTB freeone and student.

Who is 'mastering' what?

How?

Why?

Who?

In practical term. You. The everyday mundane you who goes to the store and do everyday things.

How.

I already wrote about that.

Why?

Only if you want to be realized.

• Like 1

Your explanation of mastering the world seems to be contrary to Classical Taoist teachings. The Tao Te Ching repeatedly reminds us that we all have limitations, and we are restricted by them. We are only human and if we don't recognize our own limitations, we will be discontent when our expectations don't line up with reality. I'm limited by my birth, by my body, by money, by influence, and many other things. If I recognize my limitations and live within them, I'll live a more peaceful life.

Thad is one way. But there is a danger of falling into fake peace. A very disguised helplessness feeling and a veiled frustration making as peace.

You can go directly to peace. But for most people it's like going directly to learn rocket science without first learning school level calculus.

He who would master the world will destroy it.

But I will agree that Taoism has to do with freedom. From what? Mostly from unnatural behavior and thinking. This is the only way to gain freedom. To be true to one's true nature.

Oh, sure, we interact with the world. We can't live without it. Even the air we breathe is of the world, not from our mastering anything.

In agreement with you though is that we should maintain as much control as possible of our body and mind. Note that I said "as much as possible" becuase there are some aspects of both that we simply cannot control.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. (Kris Kristofferson)

" Liberty is not a license to do whatever you want to do. It is the freedom to do what you ought to do."

( Sign on the wall in the Jimtown store in the Alexander Valley California)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Thad is one way. But there is a danger of falling into fake peace. A very disguised helplessness feeling and a veiled frustration making as peace. You can go directly to peace. But for most people it's like going directly to learn rocket science without first learning school level calculus.

freeone, I'm not saying you submit to limitations, you just recognize them. I'm limited in my ability to keep myself safe, so I better study the martial arts so I am better able to defend myself. I am limited in my need for food and shelter, so I earn enough money to live comfortably. I'm limited by the country I live in, so I keep a low profile and obey their laws so I'm not pursued by authorities that would interfere with my life. Those decisions are things I'm controlling. I understand the way the world works, and I know how to live within it successfully, how is that me being helpless or frustrated? I've prepared myself better for possible difficulties in my life than people who see the world less clearly, giving me confidence.

He who would master the world will destroy it.

But I will agree that Taoism has to do with freedom. From what? Mostly from unnatural behavior and thinking. This is the only way to gain freedom. To be true to one's true nature.

Oh, sure, we interact with the world. We can't live without it. Even the air we breathe is of the world, not from our mastering anything.

In agreement with you though is that we should maintain as much control as possible of our body and mind. Note that I said "as much as possible" becuase there are some aspects of both that we simply cannot control.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. (Kris Kristofferson)

Total agreement, especially with the part about being free from unnatural behavior and thinking, but furthermore, freedom from the illusions society attempts to impose on us. A lot of the authority in the world goes to a lot of effort indoctrinating us to think in ways and believe in things that allow them to stay in positions of power above you. Taoism is the vaccine that inoculates you from the illusion; it allows you to see reality clearly.

• Like 2

after mastering the mind, you want one to think :unsure:

Hehehe. Yes, we should think. Perhaps that is why we have a brain. Else we would have but a nervous system.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

You guys set a high bar. If I can just master the 3 remote controls it takes to turn on, adjust volume and change the channel of my TV I'm pretty happy. :)

I've met some masters, sometimes its not worth the extreme sacrifice. My road is just to get a little better, now and then.

• Like 2

We need two remotes for our TV.

Seems excessive but it won't work otherwise.

Modern life can be complicated.

Computers now.

They told us at work that when those came in we'd have a "paperless office" .

That sure did not happen.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this