Owledge

Ever had reality transition right into the dream state?

I wanted to tell about an experience that IIRC I had once or twice before, and maybe some dream/sleep/consciousness experts can give some insightful input.

I woke up, after relatively little sleep. Wasn't sure whether to get up (tired) or continue sleep (didn't feel like falling asleep either). So I turned the lights on and after a while happened to fall asleep anyway.
Then I was (apparently/probably) dreaming that I was trying to move / get up. I grabbed the alarm clock, wanting to read the time, but couldn't read what it showed because (I thought) my eyes weren't really open. I saw enough to grab the clock, but I felt so incredibly tired that trying to open my eyes was a futile struggle. Then I woke up and I was in exactly the same position as when the 'dream' started, before I grabbed the clock. The room, the lighting, it was all identical in dream and reality. The supposedly last thing I saw before falling asleep transitioned right into the dream state. But naturally I don't exactly remember the moment of falling asleep, so I'm not sure whether I moved at all during sleep. My position suggested that none of the arm movements transitioned into the physical.

It was interesting, and as I said, I had this phenomenon of reality bleeding into the dream state before, apparently triggered by falling asleep again with the lights on.

• Like 2

Right before I came to taobums just now I was thinking to myself how reality could just be a dream lol. of course I have had this thought before but just found it funny I thought that and then came here and this thread was up. Anyways yeah this has happened to me too as well in fact quite a few times.

false awakenings.

i get that all the time. sometimes ill dream that i go to work and do stuff. and then ask my boss stuff that i was dreaming about as if it was reality...she thinks im nuts.

energy work makes dreams really vivid and intense..

So which is dream, and which is "reality" in our day to day "waking" state?

I could give many answers and neither would be satisfyingly accurate, so I'll just choose some:

1) What we call "dreaming" is a sample of the true waking state packaged in a way that our so-called "waking mind" can handle.

2) If waking means less illusion/delusion, then full enlightenment is more awake than "reality" and reality is more awake than dreaming.

But due to 1) a circle is formed. In higher truth, distinctions fall away.

Ayahuasca once put me in a state where I was both awake and asleep. (Saying I was neither is just as good though.) A state where there was no escape for the stressed mind. Ironically, except acceptance maybe, because that removed conscious awareness. At least in retrospect, haha. I'm quite sure I saw everything and chose to forget. (And when I say "everything"... I mean absolutely everything.)

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

"Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.

( Zhuangzi, Butterfly as Companion: Meditations on the First Three Chapters of the Chuang-Tzu).

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

When asleep, we often dream we can fly.

When awake, we dream we can't.

• Like 2

I've had 99% realistic dreams. You sort of walk around the house for a bit, make note that everything looks realistic and perhaps that a few things are out of place, then that's about it. Not too exciting. I do remember though, that my eyes looked hyper-realistic when I looked in the mirror. This was the only difference apart from a bit of a mess in the bathroom that would never have been there, and that there was fog outside where by brain was too lazy to render. I had this happen twice. A 3rd time was a realistic dream where my mind created the scenery. This was more interesting, but very empty like the other times. The scenery was very beautiful and peaceful but not enough to motivate me to do it any more.

I had to put in a fair amount of effort to get my internal energetics set up for this, so I just left it at that. Been there, done that.

I'm wondering whether incidents like this might have anything to do with energy body separation, and/or whether there might even be sleeping with open eyes involved.

I'm wondering whether incidents like this might have anything to do with energy body separation, and/or whether there might even be sleeping with open eyes involved.

In my case there was enough out of place to presume that it was all a mental construction. That's still quite amazing when you think about it.

it sounds like you are describing lucid dreaming - which are truly a separate reality, In fact, Carlos Castaneda wrote a book called A Separate Reality which goes into this in great detail. Dreaming 'masters' can get to the point where they control the dream - Castaneda's nagual, don Juan Mateus, was capable of lucid dreaming and pulling Carlos into the dream so they would share the experience. shamans-in-training will spend years trying to master this, as Castaneda did. For some, it happens on the natch.

My personal experience with them is that highly structured people (real left brainers) have a harder time getting into a lucid dream. Too fixed in their opinions. Sometimes people who are a little 'flakier' or easier-going have the required lack of mental 'clutching' that the left brainers possess.

There's nothing quite like them, is there? And when they turn a bit erotic, omigod.