JohnC

SM - Importance of Tree gong

The world moved so fast it seemed like slow motion, small details a mere flicker in a peaceful landscape. Not a visual landscape, a landscape of sensation if that makes any sense. Like a parallel existance, something going on somewhere else but with me inside it.

It fits my experience 100% too.

This landscape is the Earth of alam al-mithal, a bridge connecting the corporeal world, that you experiment with sensation and the the spiritual world, that you sense with intuition. That's why you can, with your sensation, feel, give a form to, the intuition of Heaven, because it shares the properties of both levels.

• Like 1

and...Of course you guys are not speaking about Stillness-Movement Tree Qigong as it is a totally different thing to what you are discussing. It has to do with the specific vibrational frequency from which one interacts with Tree.

We don't give Tree human characteristics but they do have Tree characteristics.

• Like 1

You're right. This thread is moving to a general "tree-stuff" chat.  As a matter of fact what we are discussing, IMO, is more about the Earth, the Landscape, plants being a part of it, than with a specific tree practice, or specifically Tree Qigong.

I enjoyed sharing experiences though ;)

• Like 1

Don't apologize, I think I'm the one who started the diversion.

There's actually no such thing as "off topic" in the open forums at the TDB. So, whatever the OP inspires in us, we're free to share it, as long as we do it respectfully :-)

My approach to tree (and, yes, the natural world as a whole) meditation has more to do with nurturing a kind of symbiosis. This is how I first learned to go about it, many, many years ago, and I've benefitted immensely from it. I like to think that my tree friends get something out of it, too :-)

• Like 2

Yes, but I allways think of people who will read the thread latter.

I'm new to this forum, I do not write a lot, but I spend a lot of time each days learning things by reading old threads. When you are in that position you enjoy quite a bit that the content of the thread fits its title. That's all ^^

• Like 4

Yes, but I allways think of people who will read the thread latter.

I'm new to this forum, I do not write a lot, but I spend a lot of time each days learning things by reading old threads. When you are in that position you enjoy quite a bit that the content of the thread fits its title. That's all ^^

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head. 

Trees and people's interaction with them is a broad subject, indeed. However, Stillness-Movement Tree Qigong is its own thing, a specialized area of study with longevity roots that bears little resemblance to things that people say about trees occurring on the mental realm. Tree study or even doing qigong around trees is not what we refer to as tree qigong. There are actually very few real tree qigong systems out of China, and they do differ. Other than that, what we read is mostly stuff from the mental world. One way our system differs is that we totally make the grand attempt to remove the mind from the equation so what remains is Spirit interaction and no mental. In the case of our Tree Qigong, all interaction occurs on a vibratory level unrelated to mental that has to be obtained prior to the true interaction of what we call Stillness-Movement Tree Qigong.

• Like 5

Little trick i have been having a lot of fun with in my Tree-Gong. Horse-stance Tree-Gong. Something about doing those low postures seems to stimulate centers in the feet and shoot chi up the leg channels (atleast that's my observation so far), so things can get nice and hot. Sitting in horse stance, awareness and hands on LDT, while connecting with the tree. Lot of fun, lots of water and great if your also into IMA training like myself. :)    

Hope this is of value to some, will keep playing with it myself. 

Little trick i have been having a lot of fun with in my Tree-Gong. Horse-stance Tree-Gong. Something about doing those low postures seems to stimulate centers in the feet and shoot chi up the leg channels (atleast that's my observation so far), so things can get nice and hot. Sitting in horse stance, awareness and hands on LDT, while connecting with the tree. Lot of fun, lots of water and great if your also into IMA training like myself. :)    

Hope this is of value to some, will keep playing with it myself. 

Uh, this isn't Stillness-Movement tree qigong either.

Try it like it was taught and instead of the static posture utilize the Sequential method, going deep (SInking) with each return to Earth (deeper than your horse stance) before Jumping (Shifting) - it should rocket right off the chart. Statically holding the muscles will of course generate qi but that is not the reason we are doing it. Shifting is more important as we can generate qi in any posture when Shifted. The dynamic adds dimensionality versus the static. Ask Brion about the Martial Art aspect of this as this is something I will not attempt to discuss here. You will find Tree is not static either. Don't get caught in the static trap as all is dynamic.

• Like 3

Uh, this isn't Stillness-Movement tree qigong either.

Try it like it was taught and instead of the static posture utilize the Sequential method, going deep (SInking) with each return to Earth (deeper than your horse stance) before Jumping (Shifting) - it should rocket right off the chart. Statically holding the muscles will of course generate qi but that is not the reason we are doing it. Shifting is more important as we can generate qi in any posture when Shifted. The dynamic adds dimensionality versus the static. Ask Brion about the Martial Art aspect of this as this is something I will not attempt to discuss here. You will find Tree is not static either. Don't get caught in the static trap as all is dynamic.

Hey Michael, thanks for the insights. I still let my body move with the chi in the way it wants to while doing this and it does tend to follow the pattern you mentioned. There is something very cool about the upward motion, like sudden spirals of chi ascending, it's quite invigorating. :) Will keep playing. Many thanks again for the insights.

Another cool trick I've used for awhile is to practice S-M with house plants. This is great if you don't live in an area with lots of greenery or near a park(concrete jungle)...you just stand in your living room and practice Plant-Gong. :)

Also plants are good for clearing the space (Feng Shu) in your house and recycling air pollutants. It's a win-win and while practicing outside is better I definitely feel that I get a very similar benefit from practicing with plants that I do with trees. Enjoy.

Edited by OldChi

Are there forms and meditations that are specific to tree gong, or is it practicing Qi Gong amongst 🌳🌲🌴🌳🌲?

On 2/24/2018 at 0:48 PM, 9-9-9 said:

Are there forms and meditations that are specific to tree gong, or is it practicing Qi Gong amongst 🌳🌲🌴🌳🌲?

The form we are talking about in this thread is Stillness Movement (gong/work). And it specifically interacts with trees as a tree gong.

John

I see👀. “Stillness movement” is a particular lineage of Qi Gong. Hence the SM in the post title. I interpreted stillness moment and tree gong as broad terms relevant to all or most Qi Gong practice. Please excuse my ignorance “stillness-movement”. It has perked my interest and I will be reviewing a lot of the S-M posts here. Thanks 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 9-9-9 said:

I see👀. “Stillness movement” is a particular lineage of Qi Gong. Hence the SM in the post title. I interpreted stillness moment and tree gong as broad terms relevant to all or most Qi Gong practice. Please excuse my ignorance “stillness-movement”. It has perked my interest and I will be reviewing a lot of the S-M posts here. Thanks 

To add a bit more detail, it is a lineage of practice, of which includes Nei gong, qigong, sitting, standing, sleeping and tree practices.

John

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

To add a bit more detail, it is a lineage of practice, of which includes Nei gong, qigong, sitting, standing, sleeping and tree practices.

So it’s not a Qi Gong practice? It just include some Qi Gong?  I thought Qi Gong encompasses all you mentioned as well as stillness motion. Not trying to play semantics but trying to figure it out. Thanks

On 2/27/2018 at 5:01 PM, 9-9-9 said:

So it’s not a Qi Gong practice? It just include some Qi Gong?  I thought Qi Gong encompasses all you mentioned as well as stillness motion. Not trying to play semantics but trying to figure it out. Thanks

Loosely defined yes that is true.

QIgong, as a term, was created in the 1950s to define and catch all energy work. In general it is considered now as the external practices and movements that support people in working with qi. I point it out because not all lineages have these different aspects. Generally the good and legitimate ones do.... and more.

Nei gong - internal qigong (no movements or only spontaneous movements externally).

Qigong - external energy work

Sitting - meditative practices

Standing - standing postures

Sleeping - qigong/nei gong done while asleep

Tree - qigong/nei gong done with a tree.

John

• Like 1

I’m in the California Bay Area for a couple of weeks. And I found myself drawn to a particular large redwood tree. Standing about 10-15 feet from it, as I connected with it, I could feel it’s field. Was very yang and very palpable. As I did my forms, I felt the yang Qi expanding inside me. My feet got very hot, so I took my shoes off and did the rest of my workout on the grass, and it felt real good. I’ve worked with it a couple days so far, and it’s been a very amazing experience so far. 

I’ve not really done tree qigong before, so wondering if we can categorize trees into yin or yang characteristics, and if so, which type of tree should we approach if we want to balance yin and yang energies within us?

On 5/5/2014 at 10:15 AM, JohnC said:

This is a question to Michael Lomax(Ya mu) or Brion(Kempomaster), and I thought it would be interesting to hear from others that have experience with this and different opinions.

I'm wondering about the importance of Tree gong, what it does and why we should practice? Mainly to satisfy my curiosity, but also as I continue to practice this system, I'm feeling very drawn to do this lately.

I've read in other systems (longmen pai) that tree gong helps you release past life karma and increases your energy, which I take to mean it heals your biology/nature/genetic structure, and other spiritual stuff. Is that relevant or valid for us at all in the SM lineage? Or are there other cool things about tree gong?

I was practicing with a tree yesterday and after about 20 minutes had to stop, but afterwards I felt really cranky and had a lot of emotions coming up... which I take to mean I was releasing and moving it out. Today though, I'm feeling pretty good, despite not much sleep, and a hell of an exhausting weekend.

Thanks for your replies.

John

I like to meditate in the forest, does that count?

On 5/6/2014 at 6:48 AM, Ya Mu said:

Our system utilizes this relationship to help with many things, not the least of which is a better personal and intimate understanding of root Taoism. Tree knows things due to root connection with Earth and other Tree. Sharing these things with you only occurs with the deep friendship Friend is referring to. The Qi interaction is very powerful but it must always be a respectful interaction - never the taking of qi.

I find this an interesting topic ... One that I am not able to countribute beyond some basic observations.

I once attempted a tree qigong based on an ill advised teaching that was based on the taking of qi. My experience immediately was that this was an incorrect understanding and I ceased the practice. In its place, I substituted a brief practice ... almost as an apology for the misuse ... of simply standing with the tree with a focus on rootedness. I have sense given up the practice but not the memory of the experience. It was fairly profound.

So, I will watch the conversation develop and hopefully learn something.

Thanks.

btw ... There was an interesting post today regarding research that has demonstrated an observsble connection between trees via their root systems. So, it appears trees do not "stand alone".

Edited by OldDog
  • Like 2

On 25/07/2019 at 6:48 PM, dwai said:

I’ve not really done tree qigong before, so wondering if we can categorize trees into yin or yang characteristics, and if so, which type of tree should we approach if we want to balance yin and yang energies within us?

Working with trees is a big part of the Longmen tradition as well as other northern Daoist sects.

Trees are considered yin in nature. So when you feel yang stimulated, it is your own yang Qi, not the tree’s.

Don't practice (or get into a Qigong state) with bare feet on the ground (unless it’s for a very particular reason). This basically drains your yang Qi into the ground. It might feel nice and relaxing - but that’s because you’re being drained. Always practice either with shoes or a mat between you and the ground.  Yin Qi passes through these insulators with no problem, but it keeps your yang Qi in - which is what you need for your cultivation.

Generally trees either help to purge pathogens from your body (xie Qi) or they help to nourish you. Generally during the day time the trees will purge you and when the sun is down they will nourish you.

There are various correlations of what trees work on what parts of your energy system - but in reality, I personally never found this to be the case. It seems a lot less ordered like that... individual trees of the same species will work with you very differently for example.

When picking a tree, size and impressiveness is not particularly important. You want the tree bigger than you. You want the trunk to be straight... I find pine trees particularly good in general... if you know how to find ‘dragon lines’, pick trees on a dragon line or even where two dragon lines cross. You’ll notice a substantial difference :)

There are various postures used to connect to the tree. If you have an active energy system it doesn’t matter too much how you connect though.

Ideally stand 3 feet from the trunk, sink into your school’s wuji pose and get into the ‘Qigong state’... then extend and your fingers out and towards the centre of the trunk... stretch inside and ‘touch’ the Qi of the tree.

Once you’re connected just let the tree lead. Some trees will pull you in, some will push you away. If you get pushed away, take the hint and find another tree :)

If you get pulled in, just relax, let go and let the tree do it’s thing... don’t be surprised if weird shit happens. Stay in a secluded, private spot for this reason 😬

enjoy!

• Like 4