Sign in to follow this  
BaguaKicksAss

How they do it in China

I think this would work much better than how they do it in the Western world! I hope we switch over one day.

When a patient enters a Qigong hospital in China, he or she is diagnosed by a doctor and then assigned a specific Medical Qigong class for a twenty-four day treatment period. The patient spends eight hours a day practicing Qigong without television, newspaper, or telephone. This is required to help the patient avoid regression into a previously established belief structure or s~bconscious pattern. Those who are able, practIce
Qigong from a standing posture. Other patients with limited mobility practice Qigong sitting or while lying in bed. After the twenty-four day treatment program is over, the patient is again diagnosed by a Qigong doctor.

Jerry Alan Johnson CMQT Volume 3; page 218

• Like 9

QiGong Health provision is very effective with particular ailments.

With others not so much but the fact that the Chinese have a mixed provision does keep their health care costs down.

There's also a greater awareness amongst patients who tend to know them self, or to know someone who will recommend whether they should go to a QiGong practitioner or seek some other form of treatment or not.

We still are very limited here in the UK as to state health provision.

The allopathic approach holds sway.

That said some patients can be 'prescribed' Mindfulness now so that's a start.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I recall reading some outrageous statistic regarding how amazingly effective their medical system is compared to the U.S model….with senior citizens especially. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

For sure.

So many more active seniors in China than here in the UK.

Almost every public park in China of a morning is full of cultivating seniors.

Qigong is absolute tops for senior suppleness and maintaining an active and interested mind.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

It was nice to visit the Chinatown in San Francisco and see a couple groups of early morning Chi gungers. Too bad its not wide spread. A culture of follow the leader in the parks each morning.

• Like 1

I hope we switch over one day.

Not me, the forced abortions and sterilization are too big a price to pay for forced qigong...

:(

There are a few parks around here with people doing qigong each morning, as we have a very large Asian population. Many of them practice indoors in the community centers though.

For sure.

So many more active seniors in China than here in the UK.

Almost every public park in China of a morning is full of cultivating seniors.

Qigong is absolute tops for senior suppleness and maintaining an active and interested mind.

yes.. it is not just preventative medicines and treatments; IT is a continual, perpetual state of preventative living. Physical, mental, emotional, psychological.

I can't even count on my hands several times over how many times I heard "this is medicine", for something they eat or drink, down to the basic sweet potato :)

This kind of mental disposition may border on positive thinking but it is but one part of the preventative cog.

• Like 7

The actual Qigong Hospitals were the real jewels. Not only were the patients taught qigong but medical qigong treatments were performed on everyone. These hospitals differed from the TCM hospitals that had a minor qigong department.

From A Light Warrior's Guide to High Level Energy Healing page 77: "The Baoding Qigong Healing Hospital was a small hospital with one hundred beds and a staff of 12 Qigong Doctors. The hospital did no western medicine, only medical qigong. They had an amazing rate of cure with everything from car wreck victims to post surgery recovery patients. ...I witnessed and later participated in some of the most amazing methods of healing to exist on this Earth."

It is such a shame that the political environment caused these amazing hospitals to be mostly a thing of the past and the current policy of "scientific breathing methods" and calisthenics exercise has caused qigong to be the shadow of qigong as it once was. The majority of the qigong healing methods are preserved by the people who studied medical qigong at the hospitals in the 70's through the 90's.

At one period of time in my career in running a medical qigong clinic I did refuse to take on a client unless they learned and practiced qigong. This eventually proved to be an act of frustration and simply doesn't work in the west as the majority of people are too lazy to assume responsibility for their own health. Even though the numbers are increasing yearly, the learning of and the practice of qigong remains intensely small compared to people concentrating on the traditional western physical exercises. Just go out in the morning in any city in the USA and see how many runners there are compared to people in the parks doing qigong.

• Like 8

Friend of mine took TCM and acupuncture school here (in Canada). They referred to anything energetic at all as "old men's superstitions". Of course my friend was smart enough to take special note of these and do more research into them ;). Also any talk of energetic stuff was not allowed in the school. If something came up that needed an energetic solution, the student was taken aside out of the room and only the bare minimum was given in hushed whispers. They had one teacher who actually went into great detail about qigong and the energetic practices, but was fired due to student's complaints :(. (my friend of course stayed in contact with this guy lol). Also many important acupuncture techniques which make a world of difference were glossed over and no detail given. It is unfortunate.

Though he did mention that there is still decent information in Japan and Taiwan.

• Like 3

Friend of mine took TCM and acupuncture school here (in Canada). They referred to anything energetic at all as "old men's superstitions". Of course my friend was smart enough to take special note of these and do more research into them ;). Also any talk of energetic stuff was not allowed in the school. If something came up that needed an energetic solution, the student was taken aside out of the room and only the bare minimum was given in hushed whispers. They had one teacher who actually went into great detail about qigong and the energetic practices, but was fired due to student's complaints :(. (my friend of course stayed in contact with this guy lol). Also many important acupuncture techniques which make a world of difference were glossed over and no detail given. It is unfortunate.

Though he did mention that there is still decent information in Japan and Taiwan.

What paradigm do they teach as the basis for acupuncture if not energetic?

• Like 1

My martial arts teacher said something similar occurred in regard to many of the martial arts systems in China. The government wanted to water down the techniques......as a result many of the masters said "fuck that" and left the country to continue to pass on knowledge in places like Malaysia.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

What paradigm do they teach as the basis for acupuncture if not energetic?

The physical location of the points, it's all about the physical. Beyond that I'm not so sure. They do talk about channels...

• Like 2

The physical location of the points, it's all about the physical. Beyond that I'm not so sure. They do talk about channels...

They probably talk about it from the perspective of "fluids" in the body and the nervous system. Tied in with some muscular theory.

That seems to be, from what little i have heard, the way they do it when they "west wash" it all.

Take away the subtle, the sacred, the traditions.....You know, cus we know better now.

Not like those Ancients of ours! Primitives.

• Like 1

I find that Andrew Nugent-Head discusses acupuncture quite well, and he most definitely doesn't go into woo woo (as most mundanes call it) discussion, but he does most definitely cover past the purely physical approach :).

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this