mike 134

Why are there NO reputable writings or research on kundalini ?

So I went on the NCBI Pubmed database and typed in "kundalini" as my search word.

I got only 24 results.

Of these, 22 are about using yoga/meditation as an alternative therapy for a variety of established illnesses. Only two actually discuss "kundalini syndrome"; one is the classic Greyson paper "Near-death experiences and the physio-kundalini syndrome"; the other is a case report written in Danish, published in 1995, describing two patients diagnosed with schizophrenia whom the authors suspect were actually having kundalini experiences.

That's it. In the entire sphere of human medical knowledge there are only two measly papers describing this condition. And of course nobody is doing any kind of clinical research on it. Meanwhile, searching for "paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria", a very very rare disease having an incidence of 1 per million per year, gives 3,270 results.

I can think of only 3 reasons why there is practically no reputable literature on kundalini. 1. It must be incredibly rare, probably 1 in several hundred thousand to a million. 2. The majority of cases are probably caused by drug use, and thus given a diagnosis of drug induced psychosis. 3. The remainder are given a diagnosis of either bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, like the two patients in Denmark.

Any thoughts ???

Edited by mike 134
  • Like 5

medical research cost money and is sponsored by the big drug companies

what is their interest to research kundalini

• Like 6

or because you're searching in only one language?

The Crane's got a good point. I wonder if there are collections of scientific papers in India?

We must have some Indian members on the site. Any sources you can point to?

Because most of it is nonsense

Most of the people displaying it are loopy

Now it is a new age religion

And the very minute amount of people actually displaying Authentic Kundalini aren't worth the time i.e., MONEY to be bothered with it

However, the true $$$ backers- those who are interested in Eugenics, Longevity, Cryogenics, etc, know kundalini is a real phenomenon.

• Like 1

No, there's no money involved. But there's also no money in rare diseases. As I pointed out above, paroxysmal nocturnal hematuria is very rare, but there is nevertheless a large body of literature on it. So money is not the only reason.

• Like 2

Allopathic medicine doesn't believe in energy.

They believe in ATP, neurotransmitters, hormones, etc...

• Like 1

Oh, and regarding the language thing, pretty much everything of note in medicine is published in English, even though a very large portion of papers published are not from anglophone countries. At the very minimum there is an English abstract.

• Like 1

They believe in ATP, neurotransmitters, hormones, etc...

I don't think they are just beliefs but scientific studies with more reasonable concepts.

• Like 1

Allopathic medicine doesn't believe in energy.

It does to an extent when energy costs less than allopathic treatments.

Our National Health Service has spent quite a lot on Mindfulness and that's offered as a cost effective treatment for pain management and also - as MBCT - for some forms of depression.

Kundalini though, I suspect you'd need to look for research in the Indian universities.

They tend to teach and publish in English so there'd be few language issues.

The Yogi Bajan Kundalini Research Institute looks to have funded some peer reviewed work.

Might be worth looking at.

Possibly Punjab Universities as that's a Sikh led organization.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Found this....

"Just recently, a five-year, four-million dollar grant for a multi-site randomized controlled research trial of Kundalini Yoga for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) was funded by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) of the National Institutes of Health. The research design involves comparison of three 12-week interventions: Kundalini yoga, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and a stress education intervention. The main prediction of this study is that patients who receive the Kundalini Yoga treatment will show equivalent GAD response and symptom reduction compared to participants who receive CBT, which is well-established as a standard-of-care treatment for GAD. The effects of these treatments will also be examined 6-months after treatment as a measure of long-term efficacy. An additional aim of this study is to identify the underlying psychological and physiological mechanisms by which yoga and CBT affect change in people with GAD. The lead researchers of this study are Stefan G. Hofmann, Ph.D. (director of the Psychotherapy and Emotion Research Laboratory at Boston University as well as the Director of the Social Anxiety Program at Boston University’s Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders), Naomi Simon, M.D. (an associate professor at Harvard Medical School and the Director of the Center for Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders and Complicated Grief at Massachusetts General Hospital) and myself (SBSK)."

• Like 1

When my kundalini popped I was a mess for months.

ER/DR. Follow up took:

heart/EKG, blood/CBC, muscle/EMG, urine/full drug panel lol, brain/EEG tests

Nothing conclusive

They wanted to give me anti-anxiety medicine lol

Just glad I had good insurance lol

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 1

Bob Boyd used to run a forum: kundalini-support.com. Not sure why that expired. He had plenty of information related to Kundalini on it; but I don't think it fulfilled your requirements Mike. All the best on your search.

Lol I'm talking about reputable sources. That site is pure BS. 100% speculation from somebody who read a biology textbook. No sources cited.

I said it might be of use and lead one to further consideration/thinking. What you are looking for is most likely not available. Can't you do your own research?

• Like 2

Peer reviewed papers in reputable journals would be the best sources.

Sadly most of what we see is thinly disguised advertising or believers boosting their own beliefs.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Peer reviewed papers in reputable journals would be the best sources.

Sadly most of what we see is thinly disguised advertising or believers boosting their own beliefs.

To my knowledge, there are no peer reviewed papers on this subject. Stanislav Grof, Gopi Krishna and Ken Wilbur would be the best resources.

To my knowledge, there are no peer reviewed papers on this subject. Stanislav Grof, Gopi Krishna and Ken Wilbur would be the best resources.

There's that study I cited earlier.

That could be worth looking into.