Aaron

I found out I'm Jewish

So this is interesting and a bit surprising to me. Up until recently I knew I had Jewish ancestry, but always assumed it was through my mother's father's side, but I found out that in actuality it was through my mother's, mother's, mother... well you get the picture. So previously I thought I had Jewish ancestry, but now I found out that I am actually Jewish according to most rabbinical laws.

I'm wondering if anyone who knows a bit about these things might point me in the right direction to learning more about Judiasm? I'm particularly interested in learning about the history of my ancestors, the Isler's.

Aaron

• Like 2

Hi Aaron,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you're doing well.

Here are a few good books -

To Pray as a Jew by Hayim Donin

Jewish Literacey by Joseph Telushkin

Jewish Meditation by Aryeh Kaplan

Inner Space by Aryeh Kaplan

Lots of online references and resources.

Most synagogues are open to visitors if you simply show up for a Friday evening or Saturday morning service.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Zol zayn mit mazl.

:-)

( 'Good luck' in Yiddish).

Check out your local schuls.

You'll feel welcomed in the right place for you.

It's a sweet deal being Jewish cos, if you want to; you can ' make aliyah' and go live in Israel.

The weather there is glorious all year round.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, I have a job that requires a great deal of my attention. I'm checking out more of my lineage now. I'm also saving up for a vacation, so maybe I'll make it Israel, who knows? In the meantime I'm just trying to be me in the moment, keeping things as simple as I can.

Aaron

In the meantime I'm just trying to be me in the moment, keeping things as simple as I can.

No matter where your new-found Jewish heritage takes you, trying to be you is probably your best bet either way.

Enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

No matter where your new-found Jewish heritage takes you, trying to be you is probably your best bet either way.

Enjoy the ride!

Who else you gonna be :)

In my previous life I was Hindu. In the one before that I was an Irish Farmer. Before that I was a Norwegian lumberjack. I was also an Egyptian water/irrigation engineer, and in another life I have no idea because the world was like after a massive war had occurred and there was not much left of civilization. I didn't live very long in that one.

Ornaments of rigpa, nothing more.

• Like 1

this is no small thing,discovering a Jewish identity. My guess is that it will cause a paradigm shift in your spiritual vision for some time to come, until it all merges back together. To merge a communal perspective that's as specific as those of the Jewish culture would be an overwhelming discovery, at least for a time. Particularly if you are a thoughtful person, a deep person, such as you are, Aaron. Lots of love and best wishes to you as you merge this into your journey.

• Like 3

There´s great richness in the Jewish tradition--spiritually, culturally, culinarily. I spent several years exploring it as my main spiritual path. In an odd way, this exploration led me to chi gung.

In the late 1980´s I enrolled in a Jewish meditation class taught by an orthodox hasidically-leaning anthropologist in Jerusalem. He taught me to feel an energy ball between my hands, and also the inner smile meditation (as a variant of Rabbi Nachman of Breslov´s inner scream).

Best wishes as you explore.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1