Sign in to follow this  
ThisLife

Think Fondly of Socrates

One of Socrates' friends once asked the oracle at Delphi: Who is the wisest man in Greece? The alleged answer was: Socrates. When Socrates was told about this he was puzzled. Thinking the matter over, he still insisted that he was as ignorant as everybody else. The only way in which he thought he may be wiser than other people was by knowing that he was ignorant, while most people thought they were not. "I know that I do not know" is a centre piece of Socrates’ wisdom.

One may wonder about the point of Socrates' philosophical inquiries if they do not result in any final answers. It has, in fact, become common to dismiss philosophy altogether on the ground that philosophers seem to squabble endlessly about ideas that forever evade confirmation or refutation.

Even if it were true, however, that no answers are ever possible to Socrates' philosophical questions, the activity of questioning assumptions and critically analyzing possible answers is by no means a waste of time. Seeing that certain answers to questions are invalid, for example, can be an important insight, even if valid answers should not be available. And besides, becoming adept in critical inquiry cannot but help a person to refine his or her general understanding of things.

What was ultimately most important about Socrates' inquiries was, indeed, the unceasing practice and habit of being critical and thoughtful--of not being blind to one's own unfounded convictions and presuppositions. Thoughtfulness and critical self-awareness as a way of life is what Socrates stands for. That is why he adopted “Know thyself” as the main maxim for his life, and why his best known pronouncement is, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Life, according to him, is not something that is just to be lived--lived by following blindly and headlong primal instincts, popular convictions, or time-honoured customs. The good life is a life that questions and thinks about things; it is a life of contemplation, self-examination, and open-minded wondering.

The good life is thus an inner life—the life of an inquiring and ever expanding mind.

• Like 4

Since I began shoulder shrugging, I no longer have to waffle a load of BS and appear pretentious.

People respect me more too. Wu wei lol.

• Like 3

Since I began shoulder shrugging, I no longer have to waffle a load of BS and appear pretentious.

People respect me more too. Wu wei lol.

Shoulder shrugging, waffles, respect, and Wu Wei lol. Wow! That is one hefty challenge to fit together into one coherent thought.

Would you care to re-phrase what you were wanting to say into a bit more commonly used English for us dinosaurs ?

• Like 3

Paul Johnson recently wrote a great biography of Socrates. In a city that worshiped culture and beauty he was an ugly hairy laid back rock star philosopher of his time. Stating elegant questions that echo over 2300 years later.

• Like 4

Socrates was sitting outside the gates of the ancient city of Athens, a traveller approached him and expressed an interest in moving to the city.

As part of the conversation the traveller asked, What are the people like here?

In response Socrates asked, How do the find the people in your own town? The man responded, I'll be glad to get away from them they're all backstabbers and thieves!

With a look of sympathy and regret Socrates told the man that Athens would be a poor choice for a relocation because he'd find that everyone was exactly the same there.

Later the same day, another man approached Socrates and similarly asked about the virtues of moving to Athens.

Again, Socrates asked the man, What's it like where you live now? The man responded,

If I move away I'll be leaving many friends.

Everyone in my town goes out of their way to help one another cooperation, kindness and respect are part of the culture there.

Socrates smiled and said,

'Welcome to Athens you'll find that everyone's just the same here.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 5

Paul Johnson recently wrote a great biography of Socrates. In a city that worshiped culture and beauty he was an ugly hairy laid back rock star philosopher of his time. Stating elegant questions that echo over 2300 years later.

There also is a great translation of Xenophons dialogues concerning Socrates called "Conversations of Socrates," published by Penguin Classics. If one wants to know about the historical Socrates, that's the text to read.

• Like 1

Shoulder shrugging, waffles, respect, and Wu Wei lol. Wow! That is one hefty challenge to fit together into one coherent thought.Would you care to re-phrase what you were wanting to say into a bit more commonly used English for us dinosaurs ?

Ok haha...it probably gets more boring if I put it another way though!

I used to be "philosophical". By that, I mean I was the stereotype...sat around, wrapped in thoughts, coming to conclusions and having an answer for everything.

It was pretty exhausting though, and came across very pretentious. Probably for the sake of it...elitism if you will.

Taoist practice and perhaps getting older changed my ways. What a way to save energy and cultivate true wisdom - to just shrug shoulders at things I don't know the answer to.

My girlfriend and various others have always done this to me. Asking me questions because I always appeared to "know". These days I shrug all of it off. It's a bit more honest right? They have their own perceptions...so I can't tell them what is what. All I can do is cultivate myself and suggest they do so to!

Eg, I could "know" that the government is responsible for this and that blah blah....but if I state it in a philosophy, I am only pushing an idea on someone. Therefore it isn't true...not for them.

So my wisdom is that no one can "know" unless they really do!

So I shrug my shoulders.

No waffles. That's just another term for rambling.

Wu wei - yes it's all very easy. No thinking and thinking. Just absorbing what is around me.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 4

"I know that I do not know."

I always do.

Tink fondly.

Of Socrates.

Socrates was sitting outside the gates of the ancient city of Athens. A traveller approached him and expressed an interest in moving to the city. As part of the conversation the traveller asked, "What are the people like here? "

In response, Socrates asked, "How do you find the people in your own town?" The man responded, "I'll be glad to get away from them! They're all backstabbers and thieves!" With a look of sympathy and regret Socrates told the man that Athens would be a poor choice for a relocation because he'd find that everyone was exactly the same there.

;)

Later the same day, another man approached Socrates and similarly asked about the virtues of moving to Athens. Again, Socrates asked the man, "What's it like where you Live NOW?" The man responded, "If I move away I'll be leaving many friends. Everyone in my town goes out of their way to help one another. Cooperation, kindness and respect are part of the culture there."

Socrates smiled and said, 'Welcome to Athens you'll find that everyone's just the same here."

Exactly so.

XXX

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this