deci belle

Reality Perpetually on the Brink

When you begin to stop following your thoughts

And cannot seem to comprehend traces of grasping or rejection

You still adapt to circumstances

While awaiting the cues of potential.

By sticking to the inevitable timing impersonally

Without abandoning the characteristics of phenomena,

You discover the strange forces of hidden periods.

East Mountain walks on water.

Even before seeing essential nature

The accomplishment is a model for the work:

Enlightenment isn't one's entry into innocence.

This innocence is beyond life itself.

In the midst of the killing energy

You smile from inside out

Completely free of knowledge.

The work after the accomplishment is realization.

Complete reality is where people become buddhas

And buddhas become people.

Now the alchemical furnace and cauldron

Are set up again for advanced practice.

In surpassing this you eliminate inner vision entirely.

Sublimating oneself physically and spiritually,

You knock over the polar mountain

And shatter cosmic space

Becoming the same as reality.

Suddenly the gradual arrives complete;

The result is your natural independence

Reality perpetually on the brink.

Who knew it has never moved?

ed note: change to "walks" in 8th line; "This + is beyond" in 3rd stanza

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 5

I just await my cue.

That's wu wei.

Innit.

XXX

ps the band's gonna take control...

/me chuckles

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Yes mr P! I dug this up from the Contributed articles section but altered the 2nd line of the 1st stanza and the first line about innocence.

In this version, I changed the 2nd line's reference to traces of enlightenment (which are to be gotten rid of) to a reference to one's former relationships with social conditioning.

The second change was about innocence, which is said not to be dependent on sudden realization, because the application of its function is selfless activity which is only dependent on one's degree of self-refinement.

In its earlier application, I was referring to innocence as experiencing non-being in terms of sudden illumination.

In general, what I write about here on this forum is relative to one's natural development of enlightening activity in terms of entering the mystery itself naturally inherent in oneself. I want people to know that it is not dependent on sudden realization. Sudden illumination is the cessation of self and reversion to the nonorigination of one's inherent essential nature, Mind as is; one's own awareness right now.

This is why nothing is gained by suddenly awakening to complete perfect enlightenment.

The gradual path and the all-at-once are one, in terms of entering the inconceivable mystery of the nature of awareness.

Even so, the experience of sudden illumination is just the entry-level experience; as an unmistakeable signpost in terms of entry on the authentic path of prior illuminates, it should be viewed as a beginning of the gradual path of self-refinement in the aftermath of the sudden.

It is oneself becoming an expression of nonbeing within being that is the actualization of the virtue of the Way.

The fact that reality is on the brink in perpetuity, is the reason why one is already innocent. This is because once one begins to see potential, and therefore realizes that essence has never moved, therefore one has no reason to go along with conditioned compulsions perpetuated by karmic awareness. Enlightening action is only real in terms of spontaneous response. The pivot of awareness is the Center of the being that is going to die. As this Center is activated by openness, its function is called the Virtue of the Receptive. The term is found in the Classic on the Yin Convergence.

If one can abide in this center of potential and equipoise, and not go along with creation, then one essentially does nothing to adapt to conditions selflessly. It is not a matter of invulnerability. On the contrary, one is ultimately vulnerable. Though no one knows the reality, in spite of appearances, one, in fact, has transcended the world. In non-action that responds to conditions, one has nothing to do with karmic evolution.

Though many talk endlessly on the idea conveyed by the words wu-wei, hardly anyone knows the reason for there being words to that effect in the first place. There is its potential and its attributes, but it is mentioned in the ancient classics by virtue of its function that people themselves have come to partake of in terms of transcending creation.

The Tao Te Ching is simply the record of talismanic function relative to immortal activity in the world. If one can begin to see the classics in this way outside of philosophical or spiritual theoretics and wonder intensely on the source of this perspective without entertaining self-reifying compulsive arbitrary action to the point of forgetting to eat and sleep, one will eventually stumble onto the celestial mechanism without meaning to and actually find respite in the strange forces of hidden periods, thereby to become a partner of creation, not subject to it.

Sudden illumination is the result of such application of wonder and open intent.

ed note: add last line in 5th paragraph

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 4

Thank you, Brian!

Though no one knows the reality, in spite of appearances, one, in fact, has transcended the world.

What I mean by this is that people have no way of knowing by appearances that one's own spontaneous adaption to situations is transcendent activity.

It isn't a big deal that one doesn't go along with creation— it's just a fact. Immortalists steal potential and take over creation unbeknownst to anyone. The classics aren't really about philosophically interpretive discussion. They are codebooks for one's own entry into the inconceivable.

I only mention these things on this forum— in terms of direct experience. This subject isn't really Buddhism or Taoism at all. This mystery is something that people have discovered about their inherent aware nature and these well-known traditions are a venue for keeping the knowledge alive. It is paradoxical that there are really very few people penetrating the source of these teachings who also are not attached to the traditions themselves.

One's own mind not being buddhism or taoism is a wonderous affair. Though the writings of the classics by enlightened teachers should be an aid to one's own discovery of inherent transcendent Unity, usually people arrive at an adherence to scriptural associations that become inapplicable in the context of ordinary everyday situations outside of rote practice.

Subtle observation of mind, one's own mind, in the context of actual situations in light of powerful penetration and absorption of intense, far-reaching profound study of the classics keyed to the nature of awareness itself beyond any codifications is the way to not only see through to the source of the purpose of the authentic traditions, but to see through creation itself and become its equal.

• Like 3

What a wonderful discussion. Thank you, Deci!

The powerful words from a book I read a few years ago still ring with me to this day. Once Enlightenment or Total Awareness or the I Am Consciousness has been achieved, it then becomes a question of living the further ramifications of this, understanding what this really means. I'm with you, Deci - it's a starting point. Once the starting point has been crossed, it becomes a question of merging our daily lives in with what we know to be true - that We Are. Regardless of who We Are. No One is more important than another - we are all just One entity, acting out this play. Once we wear the I-Am-ness, if we can stay in consciousness of this, life moves like clockwork. When ego raises its cute little head as it does from time to time, we are knocked out of the I-Am-ness and brought back to earth to learn the lesson one more time...that we are not separate from one another.

And once the starting line has been crossed,, there's no going back and fitting into any sort of a box.

• Like 7

Oh manitou❤❤ Suuuch a lovely note to see that you have left for me and the bums who will also read it!!

manitou wrote:

Once Enlightenment or Total Awareness or the I Am Consciousness has been achieved, it then becomes a question of living the further ramifications of this, understanding what this really means. I'm with you, Deci - it's a starting point. Once the starting point has been crossed, it becomes a question of merging our daily lives in with what we know to be true - that We Are.

ed note: add a bit of what manitou wrote!

Edited by deci belle

I just await my cue.

That's wu wei.

Actually, this is pretty wonderful IMO. And the clues / cues can be seen if the inner work has been done. The mystical eyes will have developed the ability to see the cues. And then the action must be a loving one to stay within the wu wei field.

Edited by manitou

Yep.

Beyond a certain point labels are just labels.

Dogmatic sectarianism becomes a sort of lifebelt.

Made of lead.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Yep.

Beyond a certain point labels are just labels.

Dogmatic sectarianism becomes a sort of lifebelt.

Made of lead.

To say "it is" is to grasp for permanence. To say "it is not" is to adopt the view of nihilism. Therefore a wise person does not say "exists" or "does not exist."

(Mūlamadhyamakakārikā 15.10)

To say "it is" is to grasp for permanence. To say "it is not" is to adopt the view of nihilism. Therefore a wise person does not say "exists" or "does not exist." (Mūlamadhyamakakārikā 15.10)

Aah, the middle way.

Now the alchemical furnace and cauldron

Are set up again for advanced practice.

In surpassing this you eliminate inner vision entirely.

In the end, this practice is just about removing the stream of thoughts, isn't it? All the techniques and methods I've tried and left little notes about all over my table, they pale in comparison to simply stopping the thoughts and watching the senses.

Have you passed a tipping point with this?

Suddenly the gradual arrives complete;

The result is your natural independence

Reality perpetually on the brink.

Sounds like it here. ;)

You smile from inside out

Completely free of knowledge.

I think I can relate to this. Seems to happen more each day. :)

Edited by Kajenx
  • Like 2

In the end, this practice is just about removing the stream of thoughts, isn't it? All the techniques and methods I've tried and left little notes about all over my table, they pale in comparison to simply stopping the thoughts and watching the senses.

I can only speak to my own practice and my understanding of others' practices but, no, it is not "just about removing the stream of thoughts."

I do think that in the beginning its necessary to recognize that there is a way of being that does not involve being constantly buffeted and dragged through life by the stream of thoughts. Then there is an opportunity to see what lies beneath and behind that. In addition, it is equally necessary at some point to let go of "watching the senses" as well.

In my view and practice, it is primarily about recognizing one's basic nature, finding refuge there, and stabilizing in that. Then integrating this new way of being into every aspect of life. Then the stream of thoughts naturally lessens but is never removed. The difference is that the thoughts are no longer in control, no longer a distraction or a disturbance. One may indulge them, recognizing their emptiness, and in the same way one may watch the senses without attachment or aversion for the watcher and the watched collapse into the basic nature.

• Like 4