Sign in to follow this  
GrandmasterP

Farewell Remington Travel Alarm Clock

1986 I bought that Remington Travel Alarm Clock.

Been all round the world with me it has and spent five tours in India.

Always by my bedside, even here at home.

Been dropped in the sea.

Bashed about, nibbled by a puppy.

Never once let me down and always kept good time.

Used every single night and never once stopped apart from changing its little battery.

It has finally given up the ghost.

Decided to set itself off, I go upstairs and push down the off button which promptly collapses in through the case.

Totally and utterly knackered.

I shall miss it's cheerful tick.

28-years aint bad service from a cheapo, plastic clock.

OK no biggie but I thought that it deserved an obituary on here after all that faithful service.

• Like 5

You are at that age where you don't need a clock anymore anyhow.

(I stopped wearing a watch when I retired.)

• Like 1

I wish!

Still working full time.

For sure the alarm clock and watch will be retired when I retire.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

its nice having a piece that's built to last! I think the only really old piece of consumer electronics I have that's still chugging along is my bose wave radio, I picked one up when they came out in the mid 90s. that junky little remote died, though :lol:

but of course that's not speaking of other timeless vintage pieces...but hey even those need upgrading. one day I'll get around to doing the caps on that ol Harmon Kardon Chorale from the 60s. neve comes first by a hundred miles though :lol:

• Like 2

One day I'll get around to doing the caps on that ol Harmon Kardon Chorale from the 60s. neve comes first by a hundred miles though :lol:

Slow an' Steady wins Da Race.

Mad March Hair jus' a Looney Toon!

;)

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

I got a pink clamshell alarm clock in Gibraltar about ten years ago. It looked awesome. Lasted until my bags were jacked in Bombay. That's an impressive amount of time to hang on to any object, let alone something plastic. Respect.

• Like 2

My SONY dream machine is around 22 yrs old now -still going strong,

but I prefer the phone to beat it to the punch with the sound of seagulls and swashing waves

which is less abrupt.

Next best plastic appliance was the original Mr Coffee machine, (and I only tossed that having decided it was an eyesore).

Its nice when an item lasts , does its thing faithfully etc.

• Like 3

Well, all this talk I had to go look. Yes, I still have my small (fold up in its own case) traveller's alarm clock I bought in Germany in the early 1960s (can't remember the exact year). It is a Seth Thomas made in Germany. The face cover broke many years ago and I had to put a couple screws in it to hold it together. It has only one spring that operates the time and the alarm. And it still works! I just tested it. First time the spring has been wound in over thirty years.

• Like 3

I feel like I got skipped for a like :) Well ,maybe my post wasnt of sufficient sentimentality , at the time I thought it was, but reconsidering now ..maybe I am actually the hard arse I get accused of being.. OR.. its an accurate read of an inaccurate presentation. Geesh , if thats the case Im not acting as I should , and now I've gotta consider making a big phony show all the time !

Ironic.

• Like 1

I feel like I got skipped for a like :)

Yeah, you got skipped. Hehehe. But now things have changed.

I like Sony equipment and buy it whenever I can. My espresso machine is a Mr Coffee.

My first reel-to-reel tape recorded was a Grundig (German) I bought in the early 1960s. My tour in Germany ended in 1964 and at that time there was still a prohibition against importing them into the US trying to protect the US industry that was just getting started with making reel-to-reels. I brought it with me anyhow.

• Like 2

I love Mr Marblehead more than just about anyone.

;)

xxx

I can deal with that statement as you have already said that you are straight so no one should be having a misunderstanding with the form of love you are talking about.

:)

• Like 1

I got a pink clamshell alarm clock in Gibraltar about ten years ago. It looked awesome. Lasted until my bags were jacked in Bombay. That's an impressive amount of time to hang on to any object, let alone something plastic. Respect.

That reminded me of an anecdote I once heard:

A man was in Thailand on business and decided to go for a Thai massage. 'First, she told me to take off all my clothes. Then she took off all her clothes. Then I missed my flight to Singapore'.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

I see from the box that Seth Thomas was a division of International Time the Scotland based Timex watch people.

I had one of their watches for years.

It stopped working so I sent it up to the Scottish factory for repair.

They sent me a brand new watch plus a cheque for my postage costs.

That old watch had to be fifteen years or more old.

The new one they sent me lasted a good long time too.

Last I heard they had gone out of business.

I wasn't surprised but a was a bit sad.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

the clock on my wall that's a seth thomas starts and stops, that piece of junk! although it was a little strange when I got home last sunday from dinner late in the evening, the clock had stopped at 4:22:22 (yeah even the second hand stopped there.)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this