Sign in to follow this  
mantis

hip-hop/violence

currently where i live violence is not something i can ignore. i am a deep fan of hip-hop and was curious as to what effect it'd have on my practice. i enjoy spirituality and have changed drastically for the better (over 4 years of drug use). i think i am succeeding on the spiritual path but hip-hop is the only type of music i like. what do you guys think?

as for the violence bit - down here in miami it's just the way it is. look at someone the wrong way and prepared to get snuffed or fight.

I'm just an aging rocker. When my hip hops its usually means a trip to the hospital.

Music is art and art is about expressing emotion. If you like hip hop and it hits you in the heart or gut its not a bad thing. Good hip hop is spontaneous and alive.

Maybe thats how to survive violence. Spontaneity-moving w/ the flow, without preconceptions, open to all the possibilities of the moment. Very taoish.

Michael

Hip Hop resonates in the lower tan tien pretty strong. Using woman? Violence? Power? Drugs?

LOL, this is a funny post and was not expected on Taobums.

I would say DONT listen to it before bed and even avoid it in place of Reggae or music with less lyrics to help your cultivation.

Or, just check out these (more) conscious rappers:

IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE

mos def

talib kweli

common

nas

public enemy

beasty boys

two skinny j's

vast air

the movie ghost dog!

thievery coperation!!! (more like instrumental but amazing)

I am sure there are others Im forgetting...

the album "black star" is serious!

Peace out Mantis, I'll have to let you know if Im ever down in Miami! Word to yo moms! hahaha :lol:

There is hip hop and there is hip hop.

I used to love it when I was younger. Then it all got way too much - far too commercial and very fake.

Listening back to the old-school hip hop that I used to love - it was more about your story and making your mark. now it's about just one story - getting very rich and trying to seem grounded, which is a joke.

If you look hard enough you can still find hip hop with soul - whether full of anger or with a mellow, happy outlook.

I remember listening to these guys rapping about all this esoteric stuff - Ill try find the name for you.

At the moment british hip hop is more real imo - check out Dizee Rascal

There is no good or bad music - just notice how it affects your body, your emotions and your mind... then let the body decide ;)

Or you could check out...

Aesop Rock

Buck 65

Doseone

Sage Francis

Saul Willams

Soul

or most anyone off the Anticon label.

I never was much into hip hop until I heard some of these guys.

Or you could check out...

Aesop Rock

Buck 65

Doseone

Sage Francis

Saul Willams

Soul

or most anyone off the Anticon label.

I never was much into hip hop until I heard some of these guys.

Oh yeah - Saul Williams - forgot about that guy, I saw him at a festival doing poetry to some great breakbeat - his lyrics are all alchemical. great stuff

Live again. Break it. Break it down live. Find the people who JAM. Music is a universal language.

I laughed when I heard this but really it's brilliant not only making some rap sound as ridiculous as it is and injecting some more soothing sounds. Nina Gordan:

I grew up on Public Enemy and KRS-ONE but the only original stuff I've heard recently is cLOUDDEAD. Maybe rap really is dead?

Oh well, there is always bhangra which I always find more uplifting anyway.

Sign in to follow this