Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

Teachers

OP spun-off from a thread titled, Spiritual Adepts.

This post is adapted from The Master of the Hidden Storehouse.

There is a bum who insists that spiritual adepts are an especially gifted breed with knowledge of everything.

I told this bum that the conceit of an ignorance so disposed to considering others in such a high regard is a clever device that fills one's mind with a very selfish (albeit bereft) view in order to keep one separated from the truth of no such knowledge whatsoever.

Adepts only know how to empty their minds. Since the Way contains no such knowledge, adepts empty their knowledge to imitate the Way, in order to penetrate its Virtue by subtly harmonizing with its basis, which is none other than one's own essential, impersonal nature.

Heaven creates the timing and produces potential without making promises to humankind. In plentitude, honor the Center, which has no location in the heart of the heaven and earth of the immaterial body of awareness. In destitution, honor this Center, which contains the impulse of life, unborn and undying.

Do not miss human timing, which is made possible by correct observation, according to situations, when potential is ripe. When the time has passed, withdraw. Then one can preserve the Way intact, with no loss to old and new.

Those who do not practice correct observation, violate the junctures of subtle process before they have even arrived, and long for them after they have gone, even as they regard them only in terms relative to selfish gratification in their ignorance of living potential's primordial gift of transcendence of endless rounds of birth and death.

Therefore, right at the precise timing of chance, they slight it.

Those who are so concerned with what they perceive themselves to be missing, constantly miss out on what is right in front of them …teachers, for example.

ed note: add link to "Spiritual Adepts" thread

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 9

In fairness to teachers , having been one for a while now; good teachers tend to facilitate individual floursihing.

The 'guide on the side' rather than the 'sage on the stage'.

Of the two definite 'adepts' I've sat with both those guys transmitted as much, if not more; in the silence between words than via any direct 'teaching'.

Of course it was my subjective 'reception' of said 'transmission' that did the trick.

In that sense the 'adept' was a catalyst to and for whatever was occurring north of my own neck.

I take adept simply to inidcate someone who is adept ( especially good) at whetever they do.

Regular teachers can correct your cultivation there and then and coach one from wherever it is you are hence IMO those are more useful than books or DVDs.

Each student is different and everyone learns at different speeds and in different ways.

An experienced teacher knows how to dirrerentiate delivery to meet individual learning needs.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 5

This is adapted from The Master of the Hidden Storehouse.

There is a bum who insists that spiritual adepts are an especially gifted breed with knowledge of everything.

I told this bum that the conceit of an ignorance so disposed to considering others in such a high regard is a clever device that fills one's mind with a very selfish (albeit bereft) view in order to keep one separated from the truth of no such knowledge whatsoever.

Adepts only know how to empty their minds. Since the Way contains no such knowledge, adepts empty their knowledge to imitate the Way, in order to penetrate its Virtue by subtly harmonizing with its basis, which is none other than one's own essential, impersonal nature.

Heaven creates the timing and produces potential without making promises to humankind. In plentitude, honor the Center, which has no location in the heart of the heaven and earth of the immaterial body of awareness. In destitution, honor this Center, which contains the impulse of life, unborn and undying.

Do not miss human timing, which is made possible by correct observation, according to situations, when potential is ripe. When the time has passed, withdraw. Then one can preserve the Way intact, with no loss to old and new.

Those who do not practice correct observation, violate the junctures of subtle process before they have even arrived, and long for them after they have gone, even as they regard them only in terms relative to selfish gratification in their ignorance of living potential's primordial gift of transcendence of endless rounds of birth and death.

Therefore, right at the precise timing of chance, they slight it.

Those who are so concerned with what they perceive themselves to be missing, constantly miss out on what is right in front of them …teachers, for example.

Great post AND there are good great teachers.

Edited by steve

Merciii, Steve— and also to the rest of you…❤

It just occurred to me that it might have mistakenly been surmised that teachers were being singled out as those who were missing out on what was right in front of them!!

Not at all~ it is teachers, or rather the the potential for guidance, which is not being recognized by those who are filled with a conceit of ignorance.

okaaaay!

ed note: add clarification of the point of my title and OP

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

Furthermore, it is adepts, as this term is to be correctly used in discussion on this forum, who have the qualification (if otherwise exercising the predilection to do so), to effectively bring out the necessary attributes in those who are so disposed to continue the process of virtuous enlightening function in the aftermath of sudden illumination.

The working phrase of the ancients is "See essence on your own, then seek a teacher".

ed note: add "function"

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

A corollary - if you run into the right teacher while seeking the essence, that's cool too.

_/\_

• Like 1

If one were so lucky, indeed… the point, I believe, is not to wait, much less rely, on the thought of anything beyond one's present state (without so much as seeking at all) as being necessary to the discovery one's own essential nature by virtue of having a body.

Then it is driven home that the aperture of the Mysterious Female is found in the region below the heart and above the genitals, in the Center of the immaterial body of awareness, which has no location.

The reason for then seeking a teacher in the aftermath of the sudden is that one's perception of achievement is a very delicate affair and must not only be ascertained by an adept of certain qualification to discern, but also because, in the aftermath of the sudden, the emphasis of the subtle function is to be re-oriented by the guidance of an experienced teacher.

The alchemical phrase is "then the furnace and cauldron are again set up for advanced practice".

Also, in the aftermath of seeing essence, one must then learn to get rid of lead.

The alchemical phrase is "having once used lead, it is then necessary to get rid of it, until only the essence remains".

ed note: add "(without so much as seeking at all)"; add 2nd paragraph; deleted one too many "once"s in the last line

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 2

The working phrase of the ancients is "See essence on your own, then seek a teacher".

Deci... tell me to stay away as needed on this...

But to me, this is a part of the 'destiny' discussion.

One only finds the teachers within their destiny.

We can claim, "this is my teacher... I found him/her..."

I can't quite accept that. Destiny finds them and brings us together.

If one follows the innermost responses and actions and feelings and follows the universe's unspoken word... why do we need to even talk about destiny and adepts and teachers?

As one in transition, I can only say that it is a cognizance of destiny unfolding.

… the point of the traditions' insisting on this, I believe, is that one is not to wait, much less rely, on the thought of anything beyond one's present state (without so much as seeking at all) as being necessary to the discovery one's own essential nature by virtue of having a body.

No one ever said don't avail yourself of a teacher~ just don't depend on the good fortune of finding a real one ever.

Chang Po-tuan didn't find his final teacher until he was 80! Even so, the essential point of seeing essence doesn't need or is it even possible to teach. Its application, on the other hand, is a matter of the science of Life, which usually requires a teacher. Circumstances themselves have always guided my actions (which doesn't sound that special at all).

Most all adepts of the asian traditions are such by having accrued relationships with profound teachers which only accounts for the existence of their lineages in the first place, is all. There are so many instances of enlightened disciples of famous teachers never teaching themselves, let alone producing subsequent illuminates.

How many thousands of self-illuminated adepts have had the good fortune to come and go in relative obscurity! It is not seemingly common for people to arrive at sudden illumination and progress through the pitfalls of individual liberation without a teacher, yet how could it be considered a bad thing?

I haven't met a teacher-in-the-flesh yet, not that I didn't have an especially fortunate course of practical teachings to study and the need to do so in order to adapt (survive) the circumstances I was finding myself in during a very critical and amazing period of my life (…meant to happen, no doubt, but I exercised the freedom to respond as needed, and when, in terms of the timing, according to circumstances— which was very much dependent on myself alone).

I remember one such instance (among many) where I kept the world waiting for an entire calendar year, before responding to creation on my terms. Then I walked, smelling as fresh as a daisy~ as the world was left with its jaws hanging in the breeze (yet again). I tell you, destiny, such as it is, is up to oneself, alone.

I wasn't thrown to a single lion, just a few tigers is all~ ohh I ran into one such tiger-eyer, today …just a reminder. I do remember when they were bulls, though— and not in past lives!!

I didn't see a teacher in any sense until after I'd stepped over eternity and thus after I had actually already entered the well-trod path of prior illuminates. But I did, after all… and he was awaiting me, on a subtle rise.

Ultimately, destiny is one from beginning to end, which has neither~ heehee!!❤

ed note: add last part of 4th paragraph

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 4

In my experience, we tend to find what we need when we are ready.

I know that sounds trite but it seems to be the way of karma.

I recently had the good fortune to be in the presence of a great master as he presented a perfect teaching.

It was, quite literally, awe inspiring.

It simultaneously demonstrated the master's transcendence and utter vulnerability.

It touched my mind and heart very deeply and inspired enormous devotion and gratitude.

I do understand the point you are making, deci.

It is quite a good point and important.

With or without teachers, karma seems to be what determines whether one experiences an enlightening or awakening event.

Up until that point, teachers may or may not be of any value in moving us closer to that.

Similarly, it is difficult to know what, if anything, we do ourselves that moves us closer to that...

Once recognition occurs, a teacher can be enormously helpful in terms of finding ways to stabilize that recognition and provide a framework for integrating it into our lives, the context. Some folks may not need help there.

I did,.... do.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this