thelerner

Purify your Intention

Purify your Intention

Balance wrote this: I edited out the link because it might be a distraction. What I'm interested in is the concept: 'Purify your Intention'.

It strikes me there is much food for thought and maybe a secret or two in those 3 words.

• Like 1

I would have something to say to that, but then that'd mean commenting on the thread it came from and I don't really feel like being a part of that (nor putting my thoughts about it here). So what does leave me to say?

Point taken, I guess. :)

Not to be flippant here but, in light of a recent thread featuring necrotic malas etc, perhaps we could as well say " Putrify your intention".

Not my bag but some meditators meditate on some pretty macabre topics in some less than salubrious places.

Nary a burning ghat in India without one or more resident Sannyasin.

One doubts that the Mr Jesus boosters would choose to have their guy associated with the wilder shores of our cultivations.

There's a zen sangha in the UK led by serving Roman Catholic priests.

' Wild Goose Sangha UK' here...

http://www.wildgoosesangha.org.uk/

Room for all.

:-)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Did someone say wild goose chase?

I da black swan!

Cygnus X-1!

A course!

And much luv to you Mr GrandmasterP Sir.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Open sincerity is purity of intent.

Intent is purified as soon as "your" is eliminated.

This is the meaning of openness.

• Like 8

Do you have a thread on this?

This implies the purity of intent is minus "your" [ownness]

IF intent is not "your" [ownness], is it an otherness?

I mean "Be One with God/Buddha/Tao" and nothing else. Consider your many and varied intention----- let go of all of it until that's the only thing that remains. This has proven invaluable for me. Too easy to fritter away energy chasing attainments and the myriad other shallow-profundities that manifest on a/your/the path.

Within that singular intention, ALL is contained.

Simple. Direct. :)

all the best.

balance.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 5

Too easy to fritter away energy chasing attainments and the myriad other shallow-profundities that manifest on a/your/the path.

I never chased attainment.

I didn't believe in siddhis.

And I had never even heard the word before my head exploded.

When my head exploded, I realised.

Dat da Cat Man Do experience alright!

Special K!

The Kicking K!

But I don't know.

Mebbe my life was better before 11.11.

The mantle weighs heavy.

It is a curse.

You know.

4 noble truths and 8 fold paths... Intention to what and to who and for what and for who.....You can have a good intention but being exercised to the wrong person and ending up causing harms.

• Like 1

A Buddhist path teacher told me...

"If there is a path leading to ill being there is also a path leading to well- being and there is a learned art of handling suffering to create happiness."

If we could all be on that 8-fold path all of the time then we'd be the cause of less suffering to ourselves and to,others than ever we are or have been.

Setting an intention towards walking that positive path is beneficial and all steps towards and onto the path are good steps.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

A Buddhist path teacher told me...

"If there is a path leading to ill being there is also a path leading to well- being and there is a learned art of handling suffering to create happiness."

If we could all be on that 8-fold path all of the time then we'd be the cause of less suffering to ourselves and to,others than ever we are or have been.

Setting an intention towards walking that positive path is beneficial and all steps towards and onto the path are good steps.

I recognize this, but I'm just trying to say that it can be simplified.

Don't all of these schools/tradition share the same aim? Perfect Dissolution into God/Void etc? I'd say, why get hung up on precepts? If you're aim is to become a Bodhisattva/Buddha, all of the divine momentum's that need to enter your life to bring this about will come in regardless of whether or not you are following each precept verbatim.

.... So why not just make it easy on yourself instead of complicating things? Hold a single intention throughout all practices, throughout all your waking hours... Spirit will ensure all goes according to this. It cannot be any other way.

Of course, if it pleases you to acknowledge each and every precept--- then more power to you. But all the myriad fingers of the 8-fold path all point to the exact same goal and so they can be condensed.

Expressing the sincere heart-felt intention to Be (not becoming!) One With All will draw so much beautiful energy into your life and into your work.

all the best.

balance.

**Health? Power? Skillz in the sack? Third-Eye? Knowledge? What is the point of putting in so many hours day after day and year after year if your attainments can't bring about an end to perception and freedom from rebirth? So much time spent chasing baubles and trying to become something instead of recognizing that you lack for nothing.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 4

+1

Sometimes all the outward labelling and learning dogma, sutras, spells, scriptures or whatever is just a distracting means to an end.

The end being to keep the mind occupied, busy thinking it knows lots of stuff and thence the ego is constantly 'fed'.

Simple is best.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I recognize this, but I'm just trying to say that it can be simplified.

Don't all of these schools/tradition share the same aim? Perfect Dissolution into God/Void etc? I'd say, why get hung up on precepts? If you're aim is to become a Bodhisattva/Buddha, all of the divine momentum's that need to enter your life to bring this about will come in regardless of whether or not you are following each precept verbatim.

.... So why not just make it easy on yourself instead of complicating things? Hold a single intention throughout all practices, throughout all your waking hours... Spirit will ensure all goes according to this. It cannot be any other way.

Of course, if it pleases you to acknowledge each and every precept--- then more power to you. But all the myriad fingers of the 8-fold path all point to the exact same goal and so they can be condensed.

Expressing the sincere heart-felt intention to Be (not becoming!) One With All will draw so much beautiful energy into your life and into your work.

all the best.

balance.

**Health? Power? Skillz in the sack? Third-Eye? Knowledge? What is the point of putting in so many hours day after day and year after year if your attainments can't bring about an end to perception and freedom from rebirth? So much time spent chasing baubles and trying to become something instead of recognizing that you lack for nothing.

Yeah, with this intention, you become a preacher using one point of view to cure all and to free all. Look, I have been guided by spirit beings as well as a self manifested Buddha...:) They all use different point of views to get their points across and depending on my stage of my cultivation. Most people are not looking for preachers. They are looking for guides that could penetrate the cause of their suffering. Do you trust a doctor that only uses one way or one medicine to treat all of their patients regardless if they have cancers or depressions?

• Like 1

Yeah, with this intention, you become a preacher using one point of view to cure all and to free all. Look, I have been guided by spirit beings as well as a self manifested Buddha... :) They all use different point of views to get their points across and depending on my stage of my cultivation. Most people are not looking for preachers. They are looking for guides that could penetrate the cause of their suffering. Do you trust a doctor that only uses one way or one medicine to treat all of their patients regardless if they have cancers or depressions?

Preacher?

I'm inclined to disagree with you, homie.

The Lerner invited me to clarify what I'd meant when I said ".. purify your intention" ... So I did. Apologies if it didn't jibe with your understanding and experience.

Change the syntax if you want---- do you aim for Buddha/God? How do you work towards the cessation of suffering and the end of perception?

We might say it differently--- and you're welcome to criticize my approach--- but my sense is we're doing the same thing.

Of course folk require different medicine.

Guides? That's rad, bro. They can make life so much easier (provided they aren't just astral forms effing with you)

Soo... if you want to keep coming at me, you're welcome to. But I'm not really sure what there is to disagree with here. I offered an example of how I simplified my intention. I intend to serve on a path that leads to complete dissolution with God/Buddha. If you don't like this--- then pursue what works for you.

all the best.

balance.

• Like 3

Let's hear it for simplicity.

Following precepts and relying on dogmatic adherence is fine for those whose lack in terms of development of enlightening virtue needs a formative morality. The 8-fold path is a wonderful device known as a provisional teaching.

Those who are able to dispense with provisional teachings are able to work with reality directly and simply.

Ultimately, one's identity is Thusness. The essence of one's nature is selflessly aware, sincerely, sensitively, effectively aware, with an inherent intent that is utterly open. Nondifferentiation is the highest path with no traces of even enlightenment.

balance is obviously acquainted with this inherent natural basis. His expression is integral with its light.

ChiForce ought to take a seat and thereby recognize the proper way to do so is to find rest with those who are already seated in its Virtue.

ed note: fluff and buff last line

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 3

Non Differentiation is the Highest Path with no traces of even enlightenment.

You are so very, very wize.

I always learn from you.

/me bows

dEZI

xxx

"... making self-surrender (one's) object of thought, (one) lays hold of concentration, lays hold of one-pointedness of mind."

(SN V 2 , Pali Text Society volume 5 pg 175-176)

So here is an intent described by Gautama (long before anyone called him the Buddha) connected with concentration. To my mind, the phrase "self-surrender" concerns the doer of action, hence: "by making the surrender of voition in action the object of thought, one lays hold of concentration, one lays hold of one-pointedness of mind."

Evidence that action can take place in the absence of volition is clear in the action of persons under hypnosis. That such action without volition takes place in a state between waking and sleeping in normal everyday life has been the nature of my experience.

Concerning the eight-fold path, Gautama said this:

"(Anyone)…knowing and seeing eye as it really is, knowing and seeing material shapes… visual consciousness… impact on the eye as it really is, and knowing, seeing as it really is the experience, whether pleasant, painful, or neither painful nor pleasant, that arises conditioned by impact on the eye, is not attached to the eye nor to material shapes nor to visual consciousness nor to impact on the eye; and that experience, whether pleasant, painful, or neither painful nor pleasant, that arises conditioned by impact on the eye—neither to that is (such a one) attached. …(Such a one’s) physical anxieties decrease, and mental anxieties decrease, and bodily torments… and mental torments… and bodily fevers decrease, and mental fevers decrease. (Such a one) experiences happiness of body and happiness of mind. (repeated for ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind).

Whatever is the view of what really is, that for (such a one) is right view; whatever is aspiration for what really is, that for (such a one) is right aspiration; whatever is endeavour for what really is, that is for (such a one) right endeavour; whatever is mindfulness of what really is, that is for (such a one) right mindfulness; whatever is concentration on what really is, that is for (such a one) right concentration. And (such a one’s) past acts of body, acts of speech, and mode of livelihood have been well purified.

(Majjhima-Nikaya, Pali Text Society volume 3 pg 337-338, ©Pali Text Society)

In my own writing, I put it this way:

'The abandonment of activity in the body that is occasioned by “making self-surrender the object of thought” will at some point touch on the habitual activity connected with the movement of breath, and at the moment the breath is “cut off” in the surrender of activity, relaxation brings a return to the senses without the application of thought applied and sustained.'

I would say that heart-felt belief and intuition suggest the action when habitual activity connected with the movement of breath ceases, but it's really just the movement of breath in a return to the senses.

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 2

I believe an attorney was employed in that re-write of Gautama's original quote, Mark!!

And so,

"by making the surrender of voition in action the object of thought…"

…one might then begin to actively respond selflessly to situations with single-minded concentration.

• Like 1

The start of this/the title just reminded me of some Nisargadatta:

"Your sincerity will guide you. Devotion to the goal of freedom and perfection will make you

abandon all theories and systems and live by wisdom, intelligence and active love. Theories may be

good as starting points, but must be abandoned, the sooner -- the better."

"Whatever name you give it: will, or steady purpose, or one-pointedness of the mind, you come

back to earnestness, sincerity, honesty. When you are in dead earnest, you bend every incident,

every second of your life to your purpose. You do not waste time and energy on other things. You

are totally dedicated, call it will, or love, or plain honesty. We are complex beings, at war within and

without. We contradict ourselves all the time, undoing today the work of yesterday. No wonder we

are stuck. A little of integrity would make a lot of difference."

"You need not chase the 'I am' to kill it. You cannot. All you need is a sincere longing for reality.

We call it atma-bhakti, the love of the Supreme: or moksha-sankalpa, the determination to be free

from the false. Without love, and will inspired by love, nothing can be done. Merely talking about

Reality without doing anything about it is self-defeating. There must be love in the relation between

the person who says 'I am' and the observer of that 'I am'. As long as the observer, the inner self,

the 'higher' self, considers himself apart from the observed, the 'lower' self, despises it and

condemns it, the situation is hopeless. It is only when the observer (vyakta) accepts the person

(vyakti) as a projection or manifestation of himself, and, so to say, takes the self into the Self, the

duality of 'I' and 'this' goes and in the identity of the outer and the inner the Supreme Reality

manifests itself.

This union of the seer and the seen happens when the seer becomes conscious of himself as the

seer, he is not merely interested in the seen, which he is anyhow, but also interested in being

interested, giving attention to attention, aware of being aware. Affectionate awareness is the crucial

factor that brings Reality into focus."

"...what is needed is sincere interest. Earnestness does it."

All excerpts from I Am That

• Like 4

"Your sincerity will guide you. Devotion to the goal of freedom and perfection will make you

abandon all theories and systems and live by wisdom, intelligence and active love. Theories may be

good as starting points, but must be abandoned, the sooner -- the better."

Sheer Brilliance once again!

Eye godda applaud!

xxx.

• Like 2

I really like this idea, purifying the intention, its a bit like making a force clear in push hands or tao lu in kung fu.

As a general guideline i think its doable, but a guy like me - who tends to become stupid and literal about every two months and following six to eight weeks - might end up in "if all you have is a hammer, all problems will look like nails to you"-land somewhere along the path.

Just butting in two cents here :)

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 1