Dragon X

Tao and Creation

I am wondering studing different concepts on creation and the tree of life and am curious as to how the Dao views Creation & it's creation stories and if there is any concept of the Tree Of Life in Daoist Thought

• Like 2

It would appear to me that Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu didn't care much for the concept.

They weren't there, after all.

• Like 3

Wasn't there something like that as the opening clip to each episode of that excellent TV series 'Monkey'?

Will have a look.

Yay... Found it...

Man that is a blast from the past and no mistake.

I loved that TV show, used to watch it with our two lads when they were small.

They are in their 40s now.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Wasn't there something like that as the opening clip to each episode of that excellent TV series 'Monkey'?

Will have a look.

Yay... Found it...

Man that is a blast from the past and no mistake.

I loved that TV show, used to watch it with our two lads when they were small.

They are in their 40s now.

Will watch that in a bit when I get on the train :)

• Like 1

Wow...pretty close! Talk of Buddha too...there again is that influence in China.

Pre-Buddhism, I'm not sure if the Taoist would have a creation theroy. Maybe someone else here will know more...

• Like 1

A Tree of Life exists symbolically in many ancient cultures as a kind of immortality. What is interesting is that it represents a divide between the divine and human. In the biblical account, knowledge (or a taste) of this means death; yet, this is simply an exchange of the immortal physical for the spiritual on some level.

While chinese history is mostly familiar with the money tree, a kind of Tree of Life was uncovered in SanXingDui with a Phoenix and Dragon. The remarkable find is only understood once one realizes that ancient chinese were unaware of the land area of SanXingDui. Anciently, the unknown area was called Shu and separated from the main Yellow River civilization by a mountain range. I have visited the museum in Sichuan.

So the question may be: Is there an equivalent [metaphorical] tree whereby 'knowledge and taste as a lose of physical immortality for spiritual immortality' in chinese history?

I think the short answer is NO... but the metaphor may be simply different.

Ancient chinese have been noted as not really having as complete a creation myth as all other cultures have. The egg story is but one and there is maybe not even another. Their creation stories are more detached from any kind of source or creator. Creation Happens.

What I would say is that a tree represents a physical representation; rooted in earth; dependent on heaven. Its life line exists in both places.

But if we are to bring in Dao and the TTC in any way possible (to keep this applicable to the subforum topic), one has to start with the fact that Dao is without form or mass. So a Tree (or even Laozi) would only be a physical manifestation.

While we often refer to Laozi as a person (and some may question if he is even a real person), Flowing Hands has pointed out that as an immortal (LZ) is prior to his physical representation. This raises a curious question as to how was LZ really represented prior to the more deified version we see in later periods.

The short answer is: As an empty seat. It was a matter of 'position'.

• Like 2

Wow...pretty close! Talk of Buddha too...there again is that influence in China.

Pre-Buddhism, I'm not sure if the Taoist would have a creation theroy. Maybe someone else here will know more...

Creation myths are possibly as old as people one myth informs another and stories are embroidered down the aeons of time.

For example Bon is pre- Buddhist but kinda mixed in with Buddhism now.

They have all sorts of creation myths generally involving an angry giant throwing things about who calms down and eventually becomes a proto- Buddhist.

In Tibet Bon swastikas are anti clockwise whereas Buddhist swastikas are clockwise.

Also Bon devotees circumambulate shrines anti clockwise.

Peter Matthieson ( RIP) in his ' The Snow Leopard' is good on pre- Buddhist creation myths.

Cracking book.

I re- read it last week after hearing of his passing.

He was a good age.

• Like 3

Thanx everyone, the jow does stuff works link, was what i had already cum across and what lead me to ask the question in the 1st place. Anmd now that i have had time 2 both reflect and read these answers i have cum to realize dat DAO wouldn't be concerned about creation except maybe the chapter that says in part " One became Two, two became three, and three is the mother of ten thousand things" Thanx also 4 the mindfulness link i will futher investigate that when i get off of work 2nite. i look forward to hearin whwt others have to say on this subject. :)

You guys are so awesum i learn so much when i cum here it is hard 2 find a space to hold all this knowledge ;)

• Like 1

Thanx everyone, the jow does stuff works link, was what i had already cum across and what lead me to ask the question in the 1st place. Anmd now that i have had time 2 both reflect and read these answers i have cum to realize dat DAO wouldn't be concerned about creation except maybe the chapter that says in part " One became Two, two became three, and three is the mother of ten thousand things" Thanx also 4 the mindfulness link i will futher investigate that when i get off of work 2nite. i look forward to hearin whwt others have to say on this subject. :)

You guys are so awesum i learn so much when i cum here it is hard 2 find a space to hold all this knowledge ;)

Yes One gives birth to two etc...but that is only an observation. Tao, like maths, just happens :)

Haha, go easy on yourself. Don't read into much else for a day or two!

• Like 2

In Tibet Bon swastikas are anti clockwise whereas Buddhist swastikas are clockwise

Curious...do you know their actual names? Swastika is the Nazi word, right?

I have no idea! I was assuming that was the hijack name. I will look into it.