BaguaKicksAss

Gathering questions for an interview with Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson

Dr. Johnson said he would be happy to go for it, and that he would be willing to answer 20 questions :).

For more information about him, Dr. Johnson's website is at: http://daoistmagic.com/

Most of the books he has written are listed here: http://daoistmagic.com/guide-to-buying-books/ as well as the links from there for the rest of them.

His bio is on his website: http://daoistmagic.com/prof-johnsons/

Basically Daoism, magic, BAGUA, Medical Qigong and Neigong are what he specializes in. (or at least that is my perception from my particular interests :D).

He has been interviewed before a few times:

I think I've covered pretty much all the background info.... His site has a very strict copyright policy, and I would have to do a little sneaky stuff to copy and paste what is on there anyways... so I decided to provide links instead.

So please come up with some questions, each numbered if you wish to add more than one. Though adding only one per post might make the voting system easier (I'm guessing there will be quite a bit of activity in this thread).

Then we will vote on the best ones by use of the *like* feature.

• Like 2

1. If a person only has half an hour per day to practice your system of Qigong and/or Neigong, what would you recommend they focus on and start with? Is it safe enough for folks to work with your system in this way?

• Like 4

2. Many folks do practice more than one system of qigong and/or neigong, and may wish to incorporate (though during a separate practice time), some of your exercises or practices. Is this possible? What are the risks?

• Like 4

3. Can folks practice your methods and practices from the books alone without any additional teaching? Are there problems they would run into from doing this?

• Like 4

4. Since you emphasize the importance of working through your stuff and clearing it out prior to, as well as during the neigong practice, what ends up being the result of someone practicing Neigong without doing this important aspect? What happens to them/their spirit/the fetus?

• Like 1

7: Which of your books would you say is the 'entry level' and what order would you recommend studying them in?

8: When are you next in the UK?

Edited by GrandmasterP

Can I ask the yin qi question in this interview? ^_^

I would word it something like this, though:

Not long ago, I heard you tell a story in another interview about a martial arts instructor you encountered who wore rubber-soled shoes. You, at the time, felt that it was important to wear cotton-bottom shoes to increase your connection with the yin energy of the earth. In that story, you conceded to the instructor that there are far more impediments to perfect chi flow than just rubber-soled shoes (indoor plumbing and electricity and the like).

We've had several debates on the forum about topics similar to the cotton-bottom shoe issue. One poinient example being a member who vehmenently asserted that, unless the hui yin was physically touching the ground or some grounded conducting wire, no yin chi could be cultivated in one's meditation practice.

My question is: Do you think that our modern western lifestyle prevents us from levels of attainment that the ancient Chinese may have reached? Is our lifestyle/environment making it harder for us to become Daoist immortals, or do you think it is a relatively minor issue?

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 7

7: Which of your books would you say is the 'entry level' and what order would you recommend studying them in?

8: When are you next in the UK?

This is already partially answered on his website I think (thought it is entirely possible you would like clarification and more detail). The order is here: http://daoistmagic.com/guide-to-buying-books/

• Like 1

I think its better to use the 20 slots for very important question that is not explained anywhere by him in detail anywhere. Things like when he is doing seminar or books or other related thing we don;t really need to ask since we will know it anyway when it is out.

• Like 2

I can't beleive no one asked the Jesus in your heart question??!!!!

Dr. Johnson, you have created quite the ruckus on our board by stating that you have Jesus in your heart, during a radio interview ;). We were sort of wondering, how does a Daoist have Jesus in their heart, and does that interfere with Daoism at all? How do you see Jesus, and how do your beliefs work out between the two philosophies?

Though I'm very sure someone with more knowledge about Taoism could word this much better... I just wanted to throw the idea out there :).

• Like 3

I can't beleive no one asked the Jesus in your heart question??!!!!

Dr. Johnson, you have created quite the ruckus on our board by stating that you have Jesus in your heart, during a radio interview ;). We were sort of wondering, how does a Daoist have Jesus in their heart, and does that interfere with Daoism at all? How do you see Jesus, and how do your beliefs work out between the two philosophies?

Though I'm very sure someone with more knowledge about Taoism could word this much better... I just wanted to throw the idea out there :).

I'm hoping that means most folks, like me, don't actually think it really matters which deity JAJ crushes on.

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 4

I'm hoping that means most folks, like me, don't actually think it really matters all that much which deity crushes JAJ has.

I don't place importance on that thing either. Waste a good question slot. I think. haha

• Like 2

This is a "trivial" question that may already be answered in some of his materials - but it's been hard to get a consistent answer on it. Which side of the human body is Yin & which is Yang?

It is also a question that has raised plenty of debate throughout the ages in China itself. It is true that most of the Ch. med. texts claim that Yin Qi resides on the left side and Yang on the Rt. side. Yet, some have claimed exactly the opposite. Nevertheless, the main stream of Ch. med. thought accepts that Yin belongs to the left and Yang to the right - speaking of polarity !

Yang, or male, energies predominate in the right side of the body and in specific organs—e.g., the hollow organs (the bladder, intestines, stomach, or gall bladder, among others)—whereas the yin energy system rules the left side of the body and the solid organs (kidneys, heart, lungs, liver, spleen, and pericardium).

Or may it also depend on gender? Or might Yang problems show up more on the Yin side and vice-versa?

Logically, it would seem as if the right side (left side of brain) should be Yang...but many actual Chinese qigong masters seems to disagree.

So, does anyone know for a fact, or based upon clinical experience, which is which?

• Like 1

This is a "trivial" question that may already be answered in some of his materials - but it's been hard to get a consistent answer on it. Which side of the human body is Yin & which is Yang?

Or may it also depend on gender? Or might Yang problems show up more on the Yin side and vice-versa?

Logically, it would seem as if the right side (left side of brain) should be Yang...but many actual Chinese qigong masters seems to disagree.

So, does anyone know for a fact, or based upon clinical experience, which is which?

Dr. Johnson covers this in his Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy texts. I'm not familiar with the new ones, but I have the original Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy text, which was one volume. I'll quote from that book, pages 55 and 56. The emphasis on the last paragraph is mine.

THE YIN AND YANG OF BODY ASPECTS

Comparable to Western anatomy, Traditional Chinese Medicine also divides the body into aspects or planes. In TCM, these classifications are divided into Yin and Yang physical planes and anatomical directions. These divisions assist the Qigong doctor in defining and categorizing the patient's external tissues, and in determining the collection and movement of Qi (i.e., energy moving into and coalescing in the patient's Yin or Yang areas of the body). The structural aspects are categorized

as follows.

• The cranial or superior aspect (towards the head) of the body's structure is considered Yang; the caudal or inferior portion of the body (towards the feet) is considered Yin.

• The posterior or dorsal portion (back side) of the body is Yang; the anterior or ventral portion (front side) is Yin.

• The superficial aspect (exterior) of the body is Yang;the deep portion (interior) of the body

is Yin.

• The left side of the body is Yang;the right side is Yin.

• The lateral aspect (further from the center) of the body is Yang; the medial portion (middle)

is Yin.

As Yin and Yang are in a constant state of change, always waxing and waning, two points of reference alone are not enough to aptly classify the many phases and stages of transformation; for example, day (Yang ) can be further split into dawn (waxing Yang),midday (peaking Yang), and late afternoon (waning Yang).

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 2

• The left side of the body is Yang;the right side is Yin.

Very interesting! Yes, it does seem that the more classical Chinese sources claim this and from some very preliminary clinical experiences - I suspect may be accurate too.

I wonder what their logic or theory behind left being Yang is, though?

As a modern materialist Westerner, the concept of ghosts and spirits is outside my conditioned framework. Is there a simple way of getting a glimpse into their reality or does it take years of study? How would such a belief help a person spiritually and in life?

<this might be covered in a book> If a person couldn't study with you, are there other teachers or organizations you'd recommend?

• Like 2

As a modern Westerner, the concept of ghosts and spirits is outside my conditioned framework. Is there a simple way of getting a glimpse into their reality or does it take years of study? How would such a belief help a person spiritually and in life?

If a person couldn't study with you, are there other teachers or organizations you'd recommend?

Modern westerners who are spiritualists are perfectly at home with ghosts and spirits.

Please forgive that apparent pedantry but modern westerners are not homogenous.

• Like 2

You had talked before about how beginning energy healers can sometimes — despite their best intentions — do more harm than good on an ill person, e.g. growing cancerous tumours instead of reducing them. Can you explain what beginning or intermediate students of Qi Gong medicine must practice in order to increase their healing effect vs. harmful effects. What are the most common beginners' mistakes you have encountered in your students?

• Like 5

You had talked before about how beginning energy healers can sometimes — despite their best intentions — do more harm than good on an ill person, e.g. growing cancerous tumours instead of reducing them. Can you explain what beginning or intermediate students of Qi Gong medicine must practice in order to increase their healing effect vs. harmful effects. What are the most common beginners' mistakes you have encountered in your students?

Very good question :) :) :).

(PS I've run into more than a few "healers" who do more harm than good).