Sign in to follow this  
BaguaKicksAss

Some ideas and suggestions about how to interview, how to ask people to be interviewed, and how to organize said questions and interview on TTBs

I'm really hoping Apech will start this one, since he did so much last time we interviewed folks; nice organizing :). Perhaps some links to your old posts and/or giving us the run down of how you went about it? Also a bit about structural ideas would be cool.

I don't think anything is set in stone really, but borrowing past ideas does really help...

I will write up a little something as well (but not today), about how to ask folks for interviews (and how to get ahold of the right people to ask, if it is someone quite famous). Also a bit on interviewing.

Anyone else can chime in as well. This is an ideas thread only. Any debate or off topic posts will end up at some random place on the board... that is not here :D.

Any chance of interviewing JAJ?

That could be interesting.

I was trying to surprise you guys, and was going to post it next week LOL. Question section for Dr. Johnson coming soon... :D

• Like 1

I was trying to surprise you guys, and was going to post it next week LOL. Question section for Dr. Johnson coming soon... :D

Be sure to give his background and focus as I think most don't really know this. I have gathered he has a focus/experience which even most of his teachers don't have.

Also, we could interview one of his master or doctor level teachers.

• Like 1

Be sure to give his background and focus as I think most don't really know this. I have gathered he has a focus/experience which even most of his teachers don't have.

Also, we could interview one of his master or doctor level teachers.

I have this nice post all prepared with information about him... though it looks a bit like a promote the hell out of JAJ post.... finding some balance in that maybe, heh.

Apech (to bad I can't tag people in this heh), how long did you tend to leave the ask questions here posts up with previous interviews? A week, 2 weeks? I would like to have enough members see them, but also not leave the person waiting to long...

I'm really hoping Apech will start this one, since he did so much last time we interviewed folks; nice organizing :). Perhaps some links to your old posts and/or giving us the run down of how you went about it? Also a bit about structural ideas would be cool.

I don't think anything is set in stone really, but borrowing past ideas does really help...

I will write up a little something as well (but not today), about how to ask folks for interviews (and how to get ahold of the right people to ask, if it is someone quite famous). Also a bit on interviewing.

Anyone else can chime in as well. This is an ideas thread only. Any debate or off topic posts will end up at some random place on the board... that is not here :D.

Nothing set in stone of course and I think its nice if each interview is unique and reflects both the interviewee and the questions from members.

If we start a thread asking for questions from people and leave a few days for this to fill up. Then take all the questions and put the similar ones together. Especially if there are a large number there will be a need to thin them down ... so take the similar questions and try to either choose one to represent them or make up a new question which covers all the aspects of that particular topic area. Then look for themes. e.g. the teacher his life, how he/she came to practice, their lineage, something about their main teachers - then maybe questions about their approach generally their philosophy ...what they are trying to achieve - maybe ask them about the 'field' generally like what do they think of the level of expertise in whatever (healing, martial arts) - then questions about their practice ... how does it work what is it supposed to do/what effect maybe an overview outline - perhaps advice for beginners and people interested how should they start - what are the dangers and pitfalls - then more detailed question about technical aspects of practice (perhaps some from people who are already their students) - maybe then finish up with a nice 'tells us what you are doing at the moment and what you plan for the next year' ... and perhaps a final something they would like to leave the TBs thinking about.

So divide the questions into headings like this ...fill in any gaps ... then make a word doc for them to complete and send it off ...

That's a quick run through - probably forgotten a lot :)

• Like 3

Apech (to bad I can't tag people in this heh), how long did you tend to leave the ask questions here posts up with previous interviews? A week, 2 weeks? I would like to have enough members see them, but also not leave the person waiting to long...

I think it was up for a few weeks .... which had the downside that even after we started collating people suddenly thought of a new burning question. So I would say a couple of weeks ... and I think its better in General Dis. cos lots of people look there first ... it can be locked and moved later.

• Like 2

Also forget to say need a nice opener and closer ... something friendly to let them ramble a little ...

• Like 2

I think it was up for a few weeks .... which had the downside that even after we started collating people suddenly thought of a new burning question. So I would say a couple of weeks ... and I think its better in General Dis. cos lots of people look there first ... it can be locked and moved later.

Yeah that was one of my concerns, only 94 views on the ask questions of Blue Pine topic.... hidden away in a sub section, hmmmmm... I am tempted to post a mention to, and link in general...

• Like 2

Thank you very much for adding all this Apech! :) I like the collate similar questions thing. Though I'm personally going to try to leave the flavor of each poster in there, since I think it is pretty neat that each person is so unique and asks questions in their own unique way.... I guess we will see how many we get too! I'm thinking there might be a LOT come JAJ interview time :D.

Thank you very much for adding all this Apech! :) I like the collate similar questions thing. Though I'm personally going to try to leave the flavor of each poster in there, since I think it is pretty neat that each person is so unique and asks questions in their own unique way.... I guess we will see how many we get too! I'm thinking there might be a LOT come JAJ interview time :D.

Yes you are right ... I think its good to avoid too much editing which would make the interview a bit dull maybe ... if the question's a good one then I agree it should be just posted straight ... or at least choose the best from a few similar ones.

I think your fist request for questions would get more if we knew who it was. Most of the time we will know ... like with JAJ and this will mean lots of questions I hope.

• Like 1

The first interviewee is a bit of a character :).

He is also the most humble person I have ever run into!

Different approach, but hey, it will be interesting to see where it goes...

I think there should be a 'core set of questions' which is asked of every interviewee... this will help establish a base line of discernment, if you will... but I think no more than 4-5 questions.

Sign in to follow this