BaguaKicksAss

Questions for interview with Ching Sung

OK so, I contacted a few well known authors whom I highly respect, to ask if they would be interested in being interviewed by our forum members. I described the format, as well as mentioning that members would submit questions and that I would choose the 10-20 best ones (though I might do it by vote :) ) I also gave them links to the forum, as well as the interview section, so they would have more of an idea of what we are all about.

Well one person replied, and his reply was quite interesting ;). I changed my name in the quote here.

Hi BKA,
My feeling is this - since the members are anonymous (most of them) I would also like to be anonymous. So you can interview me as The Blue Pine. Ching Sung in Chinese...

Well I wasn't quite expecting that, but it does sound fun :). I feel the person in question has enough knowledge and experience (more than I am old) to definitely be able to answer our questions quite well.

So since I couldn't list his books and bio in this case, I asked him what I should list as his expertise...

simply say I study Taoism from Priests in both Taiwan and Mainland China....;-)

My "expertise" (which I cannot say as I am a Taoist!) is Origins of Ch'i Gung and Ritual Practice.
So I can only
submit as someone on the Path I have spent a lot of my time studying this because a smarter person would have figured it out sooner!
alas we work with what mind -however small- we have!
so I candidly I admit to my questioners I am somewhat limited by my own mind! I "do practice the three Nei Chia arts of Ba-gua,Hsing-I and Tai chi--- but my research leads me to believe most of the modern techniques have lost contact with the actual training of the body which produced the skills which resulted in the forms...so as a Tradition Seeker I am interested in the restoration of ancient training practices.
All that being said I believe the three "Nei chia" martial arts are not as important as knowing one's own mind! and then this comes through meditation and invocation and contemplation and this is the heart of Taoism.
;-)

I'll cheat a little and say he is well known in what he speaks about. (PS no it is not JAJ for anyone who might be wondering).

So please reply with any questions you may have, and there is a very good chance he will be likely to answer them as long as they relate to the above.

Since he is taking a bit of a different approach to this, I would say lets just have some fun with it.

PPS, I just realized he definitely won't be getting any spare book sales from this lolololol.

• Like 7

I'd say something like 'You seem like quite a traditionalist. On the Tao Bums we're mostly philosophic taoists (if that). What do we lose by not going a more traditional route? What lessons did you get from Taoists priests that we aren't exposed to on the secular side?

• Like 4

My first questions....I may ask more later. :P

1. In many Ritualistic Practices there is an emphasis on working with Spirits and Deities while in many internal arts practices there is the emphasis that one should rely solely on our own efforts in order to grow spiritually. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each approach and what is a preferable and balanced approach for the advancement of the individual practitioner?

2. As a martial artist how do you handle aggressive emotions and energies that emerge from the inherent intent and origins of the practice.....and how do you balance this with ones spiritual advancement?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 6

Hi BKA,

I would ask -

What is the role of love and compassion in the traditional Daoist training you have encountered and are there any specific practices for developing these qualities that you have been trained in?

Thanks for setting this up.

Wish I knew who we were talking about but that's OK, I'm sure it will fun.

• Like 5

Awesome questions so far :). This might be difficult to narrow it down if everyone keeps asking ones like this!

So please *like* your faves (saw this idea before in one of the question gathering threads hehe), so I can tell which ones are the most popular.

Though I do have to say OldChi your questions fit his personality exactly (yes I know him somewhat).

• Like 2

One more question! :)

3. In Internal Martial Arts much is made of developing "Internal Power" as a pre-requisite to growing in skill. However can a practitioner whom has great physical skill but little internal power defeat someone with lots of internal power but only moderate skill? The distinguishing factors between these pieces is often left quite ambiguous....what is the active dynamic between internal power and actual physical skill/talent in these arts?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 5

Just kidding.....another question.

4. I have heard many masters in the esoteric arts say that after practicing for 20, 30 and 40 years....that they still feel that they have so much to learn. That there "just beginning" to understand how things work.......that there "are always higher levels" or deeper depths that we are continually becoming......in whatever practice we choose. What are your thoughts on this.....do you still feel like a beginner in your art?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

I would be interested to hear how the ancient training methods for development of the body differ from the modern? What exactly has been lost?

• Like 9

I'll cheat a little and say he is well known in what he speaks about. (PS no it is not JAJ for anyone who might be wondering).

Hahaha :D

I wouldn't know anyone's names anyway, but I'd say he seems to have some humour and potential to be self-ironic, which will usually be a good thing I assume :)

Very basic question:

Besides things like "it depends on your karma", could you give some advice what a complete beginner should start with? Advices to just "find a teacher" or use the next possible institutions near your home might be reasonable, but not everybody will receive the training or teachings that way that fit his or her own level of experience. Any suggestions for well-known methods to start with that are secure enough to do them without personal guidance?

• Like 3

1) can you learn from books and DVDs etc. or do you need person to person training?

2) what kind of daily practice regime do you recommend for a beginner?

• Like 4

The last 2 questions sum up what I really wanted to ask, as there are so many folks who just don't have access to a teacher, unfortunately. OK I'll have to think up a new question now :D.

• Like 3

I would be interested to hear how the ancient training methods for development of the body differ from the modern? What exactly has been lost?

I'd like to *like* this about 10X ;).

• Like 4

Indeed. Something I've noticed is there is a lot of emphasis in soft martial arts on being flowing and non-resisting….but what about developing physical strength? What kind of strength should one be looking to develop in order to enhance there martial practice?

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

Dear Ching Sung,

I "do practice the three Nei Chia arts of Ba-gua,Hsing-I and Tai chi--- but my research leads me to believe most of the modern techniques have lost contact with the actual training of the body which produced the skills which resulted in the forms...so as a Tradition Seeker I am interested in the restoration of ancient training practices.

Will you please speak more about these ancient training practices, and the skills that result in the creation of forms? Thank you!

• Like 4

Hello Ching Sung, which ancient training practices do you seek to restore?

Also if I can have two questions...

What is your favourite time of day to cultivate and why?

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

i got a goooddd onee.

ask him about yin chi! Do we absorb it from the earth or the moon? DO we have to be grounded when me meditate to absorb it? is it beneficial to be grounded when you meditate?

all these are basically one question if you ask it right.

• Like 4

i got a goooddd onee.

ask him about yin chi! Do we absorb it from the earth or the moon? DO we have to be grounded when me meditate to absorb it? is it beneficial to be grounded when you meditate?

I didn't see this one coming, not at all :D.

I think I can figure out how to word it in one question, but also asking the important aspects ;). I'll post my ideas about it after more questions come in (as there might be more along these lines).

• Like 1

Indeed. Something I've noticed is there is a lot of emphasis in soft martial arts on being flowing and non-resisting….but what about developing physical strength? What kind of strength should one be looking to develop in order to enhance there martial practice?

My 2 cents, Peace

think chen vs yang taiji ;)

• Like 2

Hi Ching Sung,

What does you think is the most valuable practice one should do daily, and why?

With the exception of meditation.

• Like 4

A follow-up to this question might be: Have you come across any schools where you felt the training methods were more like the ancient styles, as you perceive them?

Also: What characteristics would you look for in a good school? What sorts of exercises would they do?

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 5

This is Thetaobums favourite.

What about retention?

I think I would reword this as:

Many of our forum members do practice some form of sexual retention, whether it be short term, long-term, or perhaps just 100 days at some point. How important do you feel this is to one's practice, and do you feel it is necessary? Or would you prefer I leave it as "What about retention" and leave it open ended for him to elaborate on?

• Like 6

i got a goooddd onee.

I'll try to reword it into one question here :). Feel free to reword my rewording since it was originally your question, and it is sort of fun to have the different people's writing styles with all the questions...

OK here goes "On our forum over the years one of our largest discussions, as well as debates has been about yin qi. Apparently this is more difficult to cultivate, yet very important to neigong practices. We are curious as to your viewpoint about whether it is cultivated from the earth in particular, the moon, or perhaps both? How this is best done, and and if one needs to be in contact with the earth to do so?"

Yeah it's more like 3 questions still, but not like we have 100 questions for him, should be fine ;).

• Like 3

I'll try to reword it into one question here :). Feel free to reword my rewording since it was originally your question, and it is sort of fun to have the different people's writing styles with all the questions...

OK here goes "On our forum over the years one of our largest discussions, as well as debates has been about yin qi. Apparently this is more difficult to cultivate, yet very important to neigong practices. We are curious as to your viewpoint about whether it is cultivated from the earth in particular, the moon, or perhaps both? How this is best done, and and if one needs to be in contact with the earth to do so?"

Yeah it's more like 3 questions still, but not like we have 100 questions for him, should be fine ;).

...and do you need a copper wire up your ass? LOL

• Like 5