BaguaKicksAss

The Shaolin Temple is hiring! No really....

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-27020716?OCID

The monks of China's Shaolin Temple have called for 10,000 calligraphers to come and help them copy Buddhist scriptures by hand, it appears.

The temple, which was the birthplace of the Kung Fu martial arts discipline in the central Henan Province, has recently built a giant depository to keep sacred texts, the Xinhua news agency reports. It is 6m (20ft) high and has 520 drawers - and is apparently capable of storing 10,000 documents for as much as 1,000 years.

The monks have asked applicants to send in a sample of their work - the Heart Sutra written in regular script with Chinese brush. Shi Yanzhi, one of the temple's grand masters, says: "The activity will not only preserve classic Buddhist literature, but also help people cultivate themselves in line with Buddhism doctrines."

• Like 6

They will ask you to complete a form in which you declare your gender and race, and then they will tell you they are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on gender, race, or religious practice. Of course you will never get to the interview to show them your skills because "other candidates with more relevant experience" were selected.

• Like 1

Why not just photocopy the stuff, It's faster... or scan it and put it online?

Usually due to wear and tear of the originals, though non-flash photography would work. That is what most of the libraries are using with their really old books that they don't allow in circulation.

Could also be an energy thing? Hand-written is much stronger... hmmm....

"the Heart Sutra written in regular script with Chinese brush"

So I have to buy a chinese version? maybe it is on their website..ill check

""The activity will not only preserve classic Buddhist literature, but also help people cultivate themselves in line with Buddhism doctrines.""

...this doesnt sound like a paid gig..haha

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

Usually due to wear and tear of the originals, though non-flash photography would work. That is what most of the libraries are using with their really old books that they don't allow in circulation.

Could also be an energy thing? Hand-written is much stronger... hmmm....

I saw a doco where they were carefully scanning and downloading an ancient manuscript. The interviewer said how great it was that this old decaying manuscriot was preserved forever now. The guy doing it laughed. He said the document in its written form had lasted nearly 1000 years ... the form he was putting it in may be defunct and 'unreadable' in a few years, it might need recopying every 5 years .

Anyone still got a floppy disc? .

• Like 3

Interesting topic.

I wondered just how long paper can last and found this...

Alkaline paper has a life expectancy of over 1,000 years for the best paper and 500 years for average grades.[8] The making of alkaline paper has several other advantages in addition to the preservation benefits afforded to the publications and documents printed on it. Because there are fewer corrosive chemicals used in making alkaline paper, the process is much easier on the machinery, reducing downtime and maintenance, and extending the machinery's useful life. The process is also significantly more environmentally friendly. Waste water and byproducts of the papermaking process can be recycled; energy can be saved in the drying and refining process; and alkaline paper can be more easily recycled.[9]

( wiki)

• Like 1

I bind books...

If you use acid free paper, ink, glue, thread, etc. they last a VERY long time :).

You have no idea how long it took me to find a printer which takes acid free ink!

When writing in books I use chinese ink usually.

I have a book here from the 1700's that isn't in too bad of condition.....

• Like 1