thelerner

Thoughts about stating warnings for new practitioners

This came up in another thread. Problem: People discussing advanced energy and meditative techniques that could be dangerous without a teacher. To what extent should we/they warn newbies? We're not all new and I like that advanced things can be discussed.

Maybe have a specific kind of warning that people read when they first come here (or is already here?) One that can be referenced to in some discussions? That might be less confrontational, then what sometimes goes on now.

I don't have much time today. What do we say now? And what should we say to new members as far was warnings?

Apart from covering our own backs I doubt that such warnings would have great effect. The sensible would take heed but the majority are in far too much of a hurry for results. Mo Pai is the perfect example of how fanaticism can grip the mind and blow away common sense like the north wind blows fallen leaves.

And what do we class as dangerous practice? Born again Christians believe that yoga, meditation and tai chi can lead to demonic possession. Who will decide what warnings should be given and about what? I am afraid that we could be opening a can of worms.

• Like 9

Actually, there is a medical disclaimer that can be found in the FAQ. This seems to cover your backs already:

"Medical Disclaimer The contents of The Tao Bums website, such as text, graphics, and other material located at thetaobums.com and its subdomains or aliases are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of Content found on the Website. If you have a medical emergency, call your physician or health provider immediately. The Tao Bums does not recommend or endorse any specific third-party tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information found on the Website. Reliance on any information located on thetaobunms.com is solely at your own risk."

Now, you can add a specific warning to the welcoming message when new people join about energy techniques used without a teacher. But this won't reach lurkers who avidly browse TTB in order to find descriptions about energetic practices.

My online 2 cts worth of the day, I can now return to real life :)

• Like 6

Apart from covering our own backs I doubt that such warnings would have great effect. The sensible would take heed but the majority are in far too much of a hurry for results. Mo Pai is the perfect example of how fanaticism can grip the mind and blow away common sense like the north wind blows fallen leaves.

And what do we class as dangerous practice? Born again Christians believe that yoga, meditation and tai chi can lead to demonic possession. Who will decide what warnings should be given and about what? I am afraid that we could be opening a can of worms.

Did you know that 33.5% of the google searches that bring people to our forum are for "John Chang"?

• Like 4

It is my opinion that any discussion of a practice, no exceptions, that could be dangerous, especially for beginners, should have a warning somewhere within the first couple of posts.

• Like 1

And the other 67 % of google searches are "The taoist method of multiorgasmic man" (or woman)?

• Like 5

Not sure about other jurisdictions but anyone in the UK offering advice that could in any way be construed as leading to a physical action by another that caused harm to that other person is liable at law.

Very strict laws on professional indemnity ( PI) and PI insurance here in the UK.

Maybe not so strict elsewhere though.

A litigant might come after TTB first then via TTB to the alleged perpetrator of the alleged 'advice leading to harm'.

And the other 67 % of google searches are "The taoist method of multiorgasmic man" (or woman)?

That would be... the taoist method for the NONE EVER (or at least not for 100 days) orgasmic man or woman :D.

I pasted the legalese somewhere else on the forum, the last time someone threatened to sue TTBs...

But basically it boils down to... it's a forum, with people who we don't even know who they are, who don't even use their real names; thus TTBs is not legally responsible for what is posted here. Forums are under one of those fancy new laws they had to make for the internet...

• Like 2

Captain Mar-Vell, please cut it out with the huge pile of random off topic posts one after another, thanks.

Yeah I know I'm not mod, but guess who gets to clean them up?

• Like 5

noobies is a relative term

but that being said. we should maybe compile a list of practices and problems people have confronted or developed after practicing.

however, people will not all agree on a official way to perform most techniques

• Like 1

noobies is a relative term

but that being said. we should maybe compile a list of practices and problems people have confronted or developed after practicing.

however, people will not all agree on a official way to perform most techniques

Trying to speak from a place of authority on highly esoteric topics is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

Trying to speak from a place of authority on highly esoteric topics is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

My 2 cents, Peace

Not related to this thread really, just to this comment.... So I run this magic meetup group each week. I have found that the people who have read the most books and have the most intellectual knowledge, but the least actual practice, are the ones that the brand new (to both magic and the group) folks tend to look up to and respect the most. *sigh*

• Like 4

I'd respect the ones who could magic stuff up.

Not the sawing a lady in half stuff

Turning people into frogs or making lead into gold and such.

Useful tricks like that.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I'd respect the ones who could magic stuff up.

Not the sawing a lady in half stuff

What?? They're numbing what must be excruciating pain,

sawing through skin, muscle, bones and arteries

Then bringing the woman back to life

and repairing all the sawing damage done!

How can you not be impressed with that?

To me its even more then there acts of teleportation.

• Like 1