Satya

Looking Into New Practices For Mental Health, Enlightenment and then perhaps Immortality ;) (in woteva order) (Formerly: Taoist Systems of Practice)

Hello,

I am just wondering (if they exist at all) what the specific systems of practice were in Taoism and if there are any specific resources from which to learn them, books or websites that illustrate/explain the practices.

I have done some searches but not come up with anything conclusive.

I am aware of the existence of Neidan, Qigong, Tai Chi (I have only practices Tai Chi), but am wondering what the specifics are of such practices.

Basically, I am looking into adopting a new practice or set of practices and am up for hearing any/all recommendations for books, websites, systems, or, possibly teachers/schools.

You can review my previous readings/practices on the lobby. I acknowledge the effectiveness of non-dual teachings, self enquiry (Mooji, Adyashanti, Gangaji, Jeff Foster, Nisargadatta, Ramana), the direct pointing, realising what is always present, but, anxiety problems cause a lot of reactivity for me that is hard to cut through. So, I am hoping/thinking that, in addition to non-dual teachings, of starting a practice (meditation, energy work, etc) where I can hopefully cut through some of the internal noise/dissolve some of the conditioning, or re-wire my brain through a practice and the phenomena known as neuroplasticity, so I can get to a place of abiding silence and I can go deeper with my realisation and self inquiry, or simply just get to a place where I am anxiety free and happy.

I am also interested in Chinese/Taoist Healing (mainly for mental health [which still has a physical cause in the brain, so should be no different from 'physical health' healing]).

I hope I am posting in the right place.

Best Wishes

Edited by Satya
  • Like 1

Books and websites are but poor substitutes for a good teacher. My advice would be to give a location for yourself and hopefully someone can give details of a local school or Instructor who may be able to help you achieve that which you seek.

• Like 4

Hi there :)

So, I am hoping/thinking that, in addition to non-dual teachings, of starting a practice (meditation, energy work, etc) where I can hopefully cut through some of the internal noise/dissolve some of the conditioning, or re-wire my brain through a practice and the phenomena known as neuroplasticity, so I can get to a place of abiding silence and I can go deeper with my realisation and self inquiry, or simply just get to a place where I am anxiety free and happy.

I found Tibetan Mandala Offering a great practice for creating a wonderful place, which you then offer to the Buddhas/your teacher/whatever you consider a virtuous example of someone who has mastered the path. I know it as a part of the Tibetan Ngondro, and some people seem to think you need an empowerment to do that, but I basically think that's not the case.

I also found you don't necessarily need this "Mandala sets" for it - it's more about your visualisation and intention.

Put a mixture of rice, (more or less) precious stones, incense, maybe money ... whatever you consider precious.. in one vessel, a bowl or something. (Maybe sit down in lotus posture), then take a round plate, and, putting little bits of that mixture of rice etc. at different spots on the plate one after the other, recite and visualise what you're offering (the sun, the moon, precious cow etc.). There are some patterns (for example starting with dots in north - south - west - east, then adding further spots between them) and texts for it, and you might take those as an example to start with it, but you can basically offer all good things you can imagine - medicine that cures all diseases, food that feeds everyone.. you might be creative.

You thereby transform that plate into a wonderful continent of a wonderful world (a universe actually, filled completely with all good things you can imagine), and finally you dedicate all that, to the Buddha(s), the teacher, the sake of every sentient being. Then you might put all that stuff back from the plate to the vessel and start again.

It's just a suggestion, but it is a very easy practice, and a very, very helpful one. At the end you might dedicate all the merit you've accumulated to the enlightenment of all sentient beings.

I think you'll find some examples of the Mandala practice on youtube, performed by Tibetan monks, and might have a look at them, but it really doesn't need to be in Tibetan, and it absolutely doesn't need to be complicated (as I mentioned, it works well with one plate instead of such a "Mandala set", visualisation and intention is far more important).

And dedication to the Buddhas and requesting the Buddhas to stay as teachers is always a good cause that might lead to really getting to know a teacher that's appropriate to you :)

And of course there are other practices like following the breath etc. which might be more what you mean by "nondual" practices, which might finally also be interesting for you. This one here is really an example of a simple practice, which might still be useful in improving your wellbeing and mental stability.

Hope that helps, and all the best for you and your practice,

Yascra

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 3

I think you really should find a local teacher or at least geographically available one, someone who can give you feedback on your progress and who has the eyes to see if youre doing something wrong from early on.

Books and websites give clues yes but no need to reinvent the wheel, there are a lot of coherent systems of Taoist practice out there. Many seem to be mixed with buddhist and confucian practice also, i guess its inevitable, but theres a lot of taoism going on anyway.

Imo the specifics of all the practices are you, any practice is a systematization of hints to help you discover you and also you in relation to other things. First and foremost its to develop solid knowledge of the "raw material" and its possibilities and limits, later to experiment a lot more, refine the raw material according to and with respect of its own tendencies, strengths and weaknesses (all of them important!), not eradicate or change anything, but to use what is there as well and efficiently as possible.

Curiosity and study, not wasting your energy, enjoying yourself.

For some people its easy and they do however they please, but if youre like me, structure and base-line exercises help.

Also: a teacher of Taoist practices isnt necessarily going to be able to help you all that much with anxiety and dealing with other sometimes deafening psychological phenomena, a doctor who is ready to listen carefully to you might be a good first step there.

Took me a while to find a taoist martial arts teacher that suited me and a lot less to get to talk to a therapist about my anxiety troubles and depressions.

Ironically, the sifu i looked for actively and the doctor i was pretty reclutant to go find at first, turns out they both operate in the same small area.

Not being judgemental here or equating your situation with mine, just paying some helpful advice i got many years ago forward, might help, might not.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 2

Sorry for the essay (given titles to the sections for easier reading).

Thank you all for the suggestions (I have not yet, but am going to look at giving some of them a go).

Any feedback/recommendations/discourse would be much appreciated. I've split off the sections on spiritual practices and mental health and a spiritual thesaurus into other threads, as detailed in the below post. I'm now going to change the text colour for the off topic discussion, and keep this one on Taoist practices/practices.

Current Practices

Since posting I have, for now, started a Shamatha practice as my main focus, following alan wallace: the attention revolution, as opposed to energy work, (and deciphering which of the many systems may or may not be effective etc) the benefits of improved attention are obvious (for spiritual and practical life purposes).

Also (going against what I said energy work wise ;) ) I have partly restarted Kriya Yoga, according to the Stevens book, combined with Ennio Nimis and Nityananda Giri (and what I was taught in my previous induction/initiation); hoping that, at least, talabya kriya (which leads to calmness on its own) will lead to khechari, which seems to be an important/indicated practice in most all systems.

I'm thinking of adding some basic Qigong/Chinese stuff to the start of my Kriya practice maybe. Something like the 8 Brocades https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQbfysOBxhI, or some basic sprint forest techniques (that I think I read about but now I can't find), or one of these:

Other Practices

I'm still interested in other practices. Trawling the forums (I've been doing a lot of reading on here) I've come across KAP, which looks interesting. At first I thought it seemed a bit new agey, but on closer inspection, it looks interesting, and according to most people on here, it seems legit, so, partly thinking about doing KAP 1 and then trying other practices that focus on directing energy for healing self and others, etc. Does anyone know if KAP results in (relatively) quick Samadhi experiences practice wise?

Taoist Internal Alchemy/Neidan

I am still interested by neidan/Taoist internal alchemy. I have gone on a bit of a book binge and gotten:

Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu (Ping and Liao), Taoist Yoga Kuanyu Lu, The Complete System of Self-Healing: Internal Exercises (Chang), CHINESE MEDICAL QIGONG THERAPY- A COMPREHENSIVE CLINICAL TEXT JERRY ALAN JOHNSON (the earlier, all in one version), and managed to find a whole load of Mantak Chia online (Awaken Healing Energy Through the Tao, Iron Shirt Chi Kung, Inner Smile, Cosmic Orbit and more).

Not sure, if at all, where to start. Jerry Alan Johnson's stuff looks to be of a high calibre, and very interesting. I want the Taoist Internal Alchemy Neidan book but it's VERY expensive (compared to any book I've ever bought).

At the moment I've got an assignment to be working on, so that takes precedence for the next few weeks.

Finding a Teacher: Qigong/Taoist Practices/Teacher/Yoga Comparison

I am not opposed to finding a teacher for Qigong practices, etc. As opposed to Indian traditions, I'm interested by the (possibly?) slightly more specific instructions, details and directions for energy work in Chinese traditions, for interest, self-healing and healing others sake. Though, contradicting myself again, saying that, I have recently come across some prana vidya texts, which have more detail than what I have read previously. One of which is the Nityananda Kriya book.

Teacher wise, I live in the UK, midlands area (for personal privacy I don't want to be more specific). Perhaps one/some of you could recommend UK based schools and I could look on the websites for local teachers?

Perennial Philosophy/Perennial Technique: Spiritual Thesaurus

My vocabulary of terms and practices is pretty much solely western or Indian/Sankrit/Yoga/Tantra, etc, so I'm hoping the translation of terms/practices will be easy enough. Along those lines (perhaps I should start a new thread for this), does anyone know of any book, pdf or website (preferably an all in one source) that serves as a sort of spiritual thesaurus between the different traditions/geographical locations? Or a spreadsheet/chart?

I believe/know there is a perennial philosophy (Truth is Truth, right?) and like to think that there's a perennial practice as well (hence the similarities between Self Inquiry/Philosophy systems [Jnana, Zen, Buddhism, Advaita, Gnosis, Sufism] and energy work systems [Yoga, Tantra, Neidan, Taoist, Tibetan, Christian Kabbalah, Kabbalah, Dhikr etc; humans are all built the same, right?]).

If no such document exists then perhaps this would be an interesting project to take up on here/and through other forums.

Part of me that likes to think of universal theory/practice is a bit apprehensive about starting on a new route and coming across potential clashes/dissonances throughout traditions, but I guess this is just ego attachment/fear.

Psychological Issues and Spiritual Practices: Shouldn't Practices Trump Therapy/Medication?

Also, Rocky Lionmouth, re:

Also: a teacher of Taoist practices isnt necessarily going to be able to help you all that much with anxiety and dealing with other sometimes deafening psychological phenomena, a doctor who is ready to listen carefully to you might be a good first step there.

I agree with finding help, specifically tailored to the problem at hand. But, in addition, here is some story and some thoughts:

After an initial year (years ago) of aversion to ANY western method (during my spiritual, put your money where your mouth is phase), I have since been in contact with western medicine doctors, therapists, etc for the past few years. No doubt, CBT and medication do work, and seem to have been the only thing that has worked for the severe anxiety (which will teach me to think in black and white "Only spiritual practices should help blah blah, etc")-(mainly the CBT/I believe [and the science points to] that it results in new neural pathways/neuroplasticity/a change in brain structure).

What Do Spiritual Practices Do?

This makes me wonder about practices in general. Aren't spiritual practices about clearing out the karma/conditioning/habits/attachment to-or-belief in thought-fear-worry-separation/fear/lies/falseness? This is how I have been taught/come to understand energy practices like Kriya Yoga, Tantra, Yoga, etc, that the spinal breathing is clearing obstructions/conditioning/karma out. And, then, self inquiry/meditative practices seem to be about highlighting Truth/True self, sitting/being with True self/stillness and slowly seeing through thought, undoing reactivity and attachment to thought/feeling, becoming less identified with noise and more with silence/stillness/emptiness/nothingness underneath/behind/between/at the birth of the noise, building new neural pathways perhaps/most likely, and in becoming less identified with noise, less noise arises?

What Is a Psychological 'Problem'?

All a psychological condition is, is an extreme instance, high on the spectrum, of a trait/phenomena that is present in ALL humans: fear, neurosis, depression, psychosis, etc. We all experience these things, but when one area gets out of balance it's labeled pathological, but it's all just noise, and spiritual practices are surely about clearing out this noise/and or attachment to/belief in noise, no? (this isn't typed argumentatively, in case it comes off that way; I'm genuinely asking myself/pondering all of these issues currently). CBT works. I guess CBT is like a forced kind of self inquiry type thing, that focuses on the specific issue at hand. It is very similar to the lower stages of self inquiry.

So Why Not Just Do CBT/Therapy?

So, you may ask, if CBT works, then why don't you just do that and then once you're sorted get back on spiritual practices? Well, it worked, (CBT and an SSRI [i hate medication, but I was out of options]) I had about 1 month of being fully 'functional'/back to normal compared to how I was when all of this pathological instance of anxiety started, but then it came back. So, I guess I should just keep up with CBT and stay proactive with that (perhaps set myself a weekly CBT reminder practice for life, like a spiritual practice, to keep tabs on myself) but, it's hard, AND, the fact that the issues came back points to me to a more underlying issue perhaps, maybe? I don't know. I'm sure with pro active CBT for years I would hopefully, eventually restructure/rewire my brain so the issues are non existent, but, again, this is difficult, it's very easy to relapse, and, why can't a spiritual practice also do this? Or, at least they should help right? (these are half rhetorical questions).

In addition, CBT, for me anyway, to fully work, I need (or at least feel I need and have in the past needed) the help of a physical therapist, to 'bully me' (I joke, but being almost forced in an agreed way is needed) into doing exposures/the CBT work. Self help materials don't seem to be enough. Hence why a spiritual practice to clear out mental gunk is preferable, as, therapy is expensive, and government/NHS support takes ages (I've been waiting for over a year now for an NHS therapist/psychologist, after seeing one initially and it working my sessions ran out).

Conclusion/Ending

Good god, that's a lot of writing. Probably worth a few different threads, and maybe I'll split it up. I hope it was interesting reading if you made it this far. Hopefully through my journey of overcoming fear/blockages/illness/illusion I will be able to share and benefit others.

Lastly, I came across this the other night. Some simple, mainstream Alan Watts, but, a nice reminder to enjoy the journey, so, thought I'd share.

Also, reading through everyone's posts, this

Curiosity and study, not wasting your energy, enjoying yourself.

reminded me of it.

To myself and others: Enjoy the journey. Be innocently curious rather than anxious when and where you can.

Edited by Satya
  • Like 2

I've split two of these off into separate threads:

For mental health specifically etc, http://thetaobums.com/topic/34642-psychological-issues-and-spiritual-practices-shouldnt-practices-trump-therapymedication/

and

For a spiritual thesaurus http://thetaobums.com/topic/34641-perennial-philosophyperennial-technique-spiritual-thesaurus/#entry543450

This thread I will keep focused on Taoist practice, practice questions, etc.

• Like 1

This is so simple it barely counts as a practice. Yet for dissolving mental issues it works very well. I like to use this meditation by Stin called Evening Inventory Meditation. Its short, just 12 minutes, starts w/ standard relax the body commands then has you review your day for anxieties and fears you've had. Instead of ignoring them you acknowledge them and stay relaxed. I like to follow it up with a 30 minute biaural rain session.

Here is a link to the Evening Inventory Meditation http://www.learnoutloud.com/Podcast-Directory/Self-Development/Prayer-and-Meditation/Meditation-Station-Podcast/18820 (scroll down, its there). Some of the other guided meditations are good too.

What I really like is lay with my head and upper back propped up and a pillow under my knees to get me into a 'zero gravity' position, while lying on my spiky 'spoonk' (yoga mat for masochists) with a scented lavender eye pillow on my face and listen to a play list of Evening Inventory then Immersion by Centerpointe. Very relaxing.

My kinda practice- easy, relaxing ..

• Like 2

My kinda practice- easy, relaxing ..

Dat zounds like da Ultimate Chillax!

I approve!

xxx.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 4

If you are not practicing skillfully, you are practicing bad habits.

Therefore, I strongly recommend direct, personal instruction even if it's only an occasional seminar or workshop.

Once you find a practice that's a good fit, stick with it for a while.

Daoist methods are generally intend to be lifelong practices. It takes months to become familiar with the methods and years to really benefit from them.

Keep it as simple as possible. Complexity means time and most folks have limited time to devote to practice. It also means more room for error and frustration, particularly if you do not have regular, direct instruction.

All that said, I think that basic zhan zhuang (standing meditation) is a wonderful place to start if you are interested in the Daoist methods. It provides lots of benefits of its own and also serves as a solid foundation for practices like taijiquan, qigong, baguazhang, and so on, if those arts interest you. It is simple, though not necessarily easy. It can be learned fairly quickly and over time it becomes very easy to self correct and adjust. It has a very 'grounding' effect and can be a good practice to help manage anxiety and other emotional/psychological issues. One very good resource is The Way of Energy by Master Lam Kam Chuen.

Daoist meditation methods are also very valuable but, IMO, direct instruction is critical to success. That said, Bruce Frantzis' books on water methods meditation is one of the better 'self study' resources I've seen, as the water method is a very forgiving and intuitive approach the way he presents it.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Daoist methods are generally intend to be lifelong practices.

Yes.

I fully intend to continue my WizarD wAYEz until my dying day.

xxx.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 3

Interests:

Yoga, Tantra, Kriya Yoga, Meditation, Breathing, Self Inquiry, Advaita Vedanta, Kabbalah, Sufism, Gnosis, Truth, Perennial Philosophy/Perennial Technique, Comparative Religion/Tradition, Universality, Mental Health, Scientific Enquiry, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Neuroscience, Energy Work, Recent interest in Neidan, Taoist Internal Alchemy.

Too many. You are just overwhelmed by the Internet.

Keep it simple. Pick one method and do it mindfully for 3 decades. Come back here and see if you feel like to post again!

Note: Finding the right method is going to be your biggest challenge. My personal advice is to learn from someone who has learnt following the traditional way (transmission or lineage) not from scam artists (many) and Qigong masters.

• Like 6

Interests:

Yoga, Tantra, Kriya Yoga, Meditation, Breathing, Self Inquiry, Advaita Vedanta, Kabbalah, Sufism, Gnosis, Truth, Perennial Philosophy/Perennial Technique, Comparative Religion/Tradition, Universality, Mental Health, Scientific Enquiry, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Neuroscience, Energy Work, Recent interest in Neidan, Taoist Internal Alchemy.

Too many. You are just overwhelmed by the Internet.

Keep it simple. Pick one method and do it mindfully for 3 decades. Come back here and see if you feel like to post again!

Note: Finding the right method is going to be your biggest challenge. My personal advice is to learn from someone who has learnt following the traditional way (transmission or lineage) not from scam artists (many) and Qigong masters.

Hehehe...3 decades....:)

• Like 1

apologies in advance for derailment. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Hehehe...3 decades.... :)

That would certainly slow down the volume on This site.

April 28th year 2044

I'm really enjoying my practice. Its done wonders for me.

'That's good. How's your diet?'

It's okay, pretty standard really.'

'Go vegetarian for 30 years and write back.'

April 29th year 2074

That was a good suggestion going vegetarian. Its really helped me.

'Good, now you need to go Vegan. Do it mindfully for 3 decades then write back about it.'

April 30th year 2104

Going Vegan was hard for the first 15 year, but I got used to it finally. Easier since the Vorgans came.

'Yes, yes we've all had Vorgan problems. Tell me how are you on on retention?'

What? You mean sexual retention? I'm 119 years old!

'I mean Jing retention. How often do you lose it?'

Only once a year, and only with Vorgans.

• Like 4

Actually was not a joke :)

Pick one and do it for 100 days ( 3 months) and document the progress, either in a personal practice forum or a personal journal.

If you are really interested in taoist neidan, start with Inner Smile by Mantak Chia, this is the most inoffensive practice ever. At least you will discover your own body, emotions and organs.

In my experience (my girlfriend was having anxiety attacks) this is given by overactive energy in the upper body - torso, too much yang energy in heart and lungs. She also had frequent insomnia and the anxiety attacks were triggered only in summer time, so if you have similar symptoms, then it is an energetic issue. In this case taoist alchemical meditation practices are the best solution for you. If is not an energetic cause, but rather a mental cause then maybe you can try something else.

And i forgot to mention, do not mix this practice with other practices, stay with it until you figure it out if you really want to continue or discontinue the practice. You can discontinue anytime but best is o let the practice crystallize, so that the effect of the practice becomes visible.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 3

Well said Mr. Gerard!

"

Keep it simple. Pick one method and do it mindfully for 3 decades. Come back here and see if you feel like to post again!"

• Like 2

Anxiety is coming from yin/yang imbalance. There are many reasons for that: diet, way of life, habits, WRONG "energy methods", mixture of [wrong] methods, sex, previous illnesses, natal and personal karma, and bad structure of a body and spinal column. Many people have problems with latter one and you have to find good therapist who can check it up and do corrections. As well as it was good advice to practice ONE method of qigong but it must be traditional qigong within authentic lineage of masters. Avoid "yoga" like exercises, breath methods and so on until you find good teacher. Yoga methods were designed for the Indian way of life and they practiced hatha yoga in the beginning before doing any meditations (advaita) methods. Also avoid vigorous qigong methods akin to Iron Shirt. Even meditation methods can be very harmful until you have balanced your energy and body structure. I would advise to find good orthopedist who can see your energy and who could improve qi flow in your channels and give you exercises personally for you, for your body and you would work with it. Then you could do some soft qigong to work out your energy body in order to remove all blockages and improve qi flow and soften your anxiety issue . Also avoid standing "tree" practice until you have opened up energy channels and have removed your biggest blockages. Also it is crucial to find right method of practice. It could be any traditional yangshengong method which would balance your energy body from INSIDE. Many problems are coming when people are trying to fix their minds by their own minds. It is just impossible.

Be safe and happy and avoid fake "energy methods".

Edited by Antares
  • Like 4

Sound advice there Antares.

Excellent post.

There are far too many quacks out there ( and on here sometimes) peddling rebranded information that can be had for free online or at minimal cost from a qualified teacher then adding stuff they have simply made up to boost profits.

A fool and his money are soon parted and whatever anyone chooses to waste money on is their own concern but when these quacks begin to 'play doctor' then things can become seriously dangerous seriously quickly.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Thank you, GrandmasterP. I used to live in the UK and tried to find something "authentic" there. I did try "yoga", meditations, tantra, neikong, MA... then I realized it was waste of time and money. Now I have another understanding about all that stuff. Probably my opinion will sound negative here but it was my experience and it was part of the lessons I've got in my life. Most sad thing here is that you are right that there are many people who scam others and... themselves as well. So called teachers learn something "spiritual" somewhere in India or Taiwan at the best and then they teach others playing the role of a "guru". I remember i got anxiety issue when was doing breath methods from a tantra tradition which I learned in a local center. Also I got lungs problem by doing it. Instructor could not help me at all but she charged me every time when I was coming to classes. Then I mixed few methods from different traditions and wanted to succeed in my "spirituality". WRONG WRONG approach. :) Also I practiced from DVDs and books mixing up things. Sometime I could not fall asleep and was anxious without any reason. Only when I gave up doing all that stuff and got transmission in good lineage thing began to improve. Also I realized that beginner just is not able to do qigong right. Besides it is not easy to find good qigong teacher. Now I do very soft qigong and some alchemy method which are very soft and I believe that supervision of good instructor is MUST have almost for everyone. Also I was lucky to meet an excellent Siberian therapist who worked out my energy blockages. He is quite enlightened person and he said clearly that people do mistake trying to practice from video or books and that it is very much about ones personal karma to get benefit from any practice. He says that it is impossible to practice right when one has problem with spinal column what is very common. This can only increase a blockage of energy. Only enlightened person can teach right methods and it is very much about transmission " from heart to heart". No book can replace it. Only people who have good karma and spiritual experience from previous lives can benefit from video or book. Authentic qigong or neikong is very rare nowadays. I remember I had been practicing Iron Shirt for 2 years without any benefit and no one else benefited from it in that group and that instructor did not realize that his approach was wrong in the very beginning. He did not teach soft qigong in the beginning in order to smooth out energy and open qi channels in students. He always smiled and said that we did not practice good enough. I remember anxiety issue I got from that practice. He stated he was enlightened person and he charged good price. Unfortunately it is quite common thing nowadays. I believe it is crucial to practice in a group of people where there is real teacher within authentic lineage. Anxiety issue will not happen to anyone in this case. It would be a first sign of wrong practice or wrong approach.

• Like 2

:)

NO NO NO. Avoid this stuff. :angry: There is no lineage and a lot of crap. You, guys, going nuts offering these crazy things to each other. :(