Sign in to follow this  
Kodoninja

A vision in meditation

Around a year and a half ago, something strange happened to me. It was one of the first times I made an effort to do a long meditation, it was mindfulness type meditation laying in bed in a dark room where first I focused my awareness on my feet, then ankles and then on the rest of my body until I felt numb. After awhile all of the sudden with closed eyes I saw a flash of light and then speckles of stars and streams of colors I can only describe as cosmic. In my field of vision far ahead from where the light originated I saw the same throne type thing that used to be put on top of war elephants, I think its called a howdah. It started to float towards me on a carpet and inside was a lady with golden skin and red orb of light on her forehead above the middle of both her eyes. She only smiled at me and then opened a book in front of my face. When the book opened I saw all sorts of arcane symbols i've never seen before and they flashed with a whitish bluish tinge. I felt that the symbols held some sort of power, and just as I was beginning to comprehend the symbols she suddenly closed the book and then drifted backwards again before disappearing out of my field of vision. I wasn't sure what it ment and im still unsure of the significance of it. Ever since then my life has been different though. I feel as though theres something I must do but I don't yet no what it is.The picture of everything that happened is still fresh in my mind as if it happened yesterday. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this visions significance is, if there is any significance of it?

• Like 5

no idea, but in the Zen tradition when you see strange things, be they demons or angels during meditations.. you ignore them, treat then as distractions and keep to the program. But that's Zen. If you want to investigate, why not, but don't let it become too distracting, imo.

• Like 5

I agree with thelerner. During meditation you may experience all manner of images, visions, call them what you will. My advice would be to simply let them go.

There are those who would attempt to interpret what they see but this can distract you from your main purpose.

• Like 2

There are those who would attempt to interpret what they see but this can distract you from your main purpose.

I hear ya.

But I still think that is a fascinating account.

Visions can sometimes be both interesting, and entertaining.

Don't you tink?

:)

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 3

I hear ya.

But I still think that is a fascinating account.

Visions can sometimes be both interesting, and entertaining.

Don't you tink?

:)

Yes both interesting and entertaining but they can also be ensnaring and distract you from your main purpose in meditation - the attainment of higher states of consciousness.

The significance is that you had a vision - you do not need to act upon it - it is obviously acting upon you - no need to forget it and no need to worship it - it is very beautiful and a treasure

• Like 6

The significance is that you had a vision - you do not need to act upon it - it is obviously acting upon you - no need to forget it and no need to worship it - it is very beautiful and a treasure

This is exactly my sentiment. No need to worship, no need to denigrate.

Simple awareness.

edit: It's fully possible to honor the nature of something and to experience awe, without it becoming worship.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

Yes both interesting and entertaining but they can also be ensnaring and distract you from your main purpose in meditation - the attainment of higher states of consciousness.

And the point is that "being interested", which is a way of creating new thoughts about a certain topic, as well as "entertainment" are both not the purpose of meditation.

Around a year and a half ago ... The picture of everything that happened is still fresh in my mind as if it happened yesterday. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this visions significance is, if there is any significance of it?

How enchanting! Thanks for sharing. Difficult to say if it was total fantasy - only you can distinguish beween how you experience self-referential fantasies and something which you couldn't make up. You could perhaps see if the vision contained any recognisable cultural elements that could link it to a particular tradition. If so, what is it about you that you recognise within yourself that connects with it, e.g. passions, interests, outlook, character etc.?

Did you have a particular feeling during the vision? Without expectation why not recreate it with a heartfelt intention of reconneting and see what happens? You should be able to distinguish between real glimpses - feelings, sense of presence, images - and forlorn clinging shadows.

Is this vision something that should be ignored because it'll stop you attaining 'higher states of consciousness'? It could be argued that it's blessing. You may not get another vision for years - reading accounts of some teachers receiving teachings in visions, they can be spaced out over a few years; but you could continue on whatever path(s) inspires you knowing that someone somewhere likes you and may be supporting you in ways unknown to you. You could also acknowlede this and send out gratitude and love to 'friends unknown'.

Edited by rex

Whenever this happened to me, I didn't get much done. I feel that I wasted my time.

That being said, I probably wouldn't be who I am today without my experiences.

Follow them if you must, but kill them off if they start to take over your life. Addiction to experiences is a big "danger" of meditation.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the quick replies, interesting thoughts

How enchanting! Thanks for sharing. Difficult to say if it was total fantasy - only you can distinguish beween how you experience self-referential fantasies and something which you couldn't make up. You could perhaps see if the vision contained any recognisable cultural elements that could link it to a particular tradition. If so, what is it about you that you recognise within yourself that connects with it, e.g. passions, interests, outlook, character etc.?

Did you have a particular feeling during the vision? Without expectation why not recreate it with a heartfelt intention of reconneting and see what happens? You should be able to distinguish between real glimpses - feelings, sense of presence, images - and forlorn clinging shadows.

Is this vision something that should be ignored because it'll stop you attaining 'higher states of consciousness'? It could be argued that it's blessing. You may not get another vision for years - reading accounts of some teachers receiving teachings in visions, they can be spaced out over a few years; but you could continue on whatever path(s) inspires you knowing that someone somewhere likes you and may be supporting you in ways unknown to you. You could also acknowlede this and send out gratitude and love to 'friends unknown'.

As for having cultural ties or religious ties. I live in northern canada and would say my whole family is atheist, but I lean more towards the agnostic/spiritual side of thinking.

Only feelings I felt was a constant vibrating the whole time.

I suppose you, thelerner,chang,silent thunder and yascra

are right; I should remain grateful for it but non-attatched so it doesn't impede my progress.

Captain Mar-vell and Spotless you have some insightful thoughts on the matter, lets me really see the two sides of it.

And no problem!

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and advice :)

Sign in to follow this