Sign in to follow this  
Tibetan_Ice

Visions

I'm starting to understand what I have been going through during meditation sessions, thanks to a book called "Meditation on the Clear Light" by Lopono Tenzin Namdak.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Meditation-Clear-Light-Transmission/dp/B0076WQZ8Q/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

About four years ago, when I was doing a form of mantra meditation (visualizing the text of the mantra as it sounded - like aaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooommmmmmmm), I would end up in a state where all of a sudden, hundreds of visions would go whizzing by, like a great torrent or swift flowing river. I remember it well because I had asked about that phenomenon on a certain forum and they just said (it's all just scenery).. Sounds familiar?

This great torrent of visions lasted for weeks. It was really quite upsetting, not knowing what it was.

Because I could not find any information on it, I eventually changed the type of meditation that I was doing and the spectacle of hundreds of visions whizzing by went away. It was quite nerve-racking, sitting there while many many visions, lights and colors go whizzing past. It was like being on a carnival ride, a circus or a fast flight through the galaxy.

Since then, I have had that experience many times.. but I've managed to figure it out, because for the last month or so, I have been practising non-meditation - Dzogchen. First I dissolve a few thoughts and then just remain in that area of space, not doing anything at all, except watching, trying to remain neither attached or detached.. After about 10 minutes of just remaining in that space, the visions start up all by themselves.

Except, now the visions are no longer a swift moving torrent of colors.. they've slowed down. They are a continual stream, but each scene or vision remains longer. And, some of the visions are so clear and bright that I am having trouble trying to distinguish between regular reality and the visions. The visions look that real.

I think I am starting to understand the practice, because after the meditation sessions, I can clearly see that this normal reality appears just like the vivid clear visions during meditation. The fine line between the visions in the vision-state and normal reality is being blurred.

Is anyone who is practising Dozghen here having similar experiences?

:)

• Like 2

pretty cool

Edited by skydog

l

Edited by skydog

This stream of visions is not uncommon during meditation as the mind relaxes. The general advice would be to simply let them go and not become distrations.

• Like 1

I'm starting to understand what I have been going through during meditation sessions, thanks to a book called "Meditation on the Clear Light" by Lopono Tenzin

http://www.amazon.com/The-Meditation-Clear-Light-Transmission/dp/B0076WQZ8Q/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

About four years ago, when I was doing a form of mantra meditation (visualizing the text of the mantra as it sounded - like aaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooommmmmmmm), I would end up in a state where all of a sudden, hundreds of visions would go whizzing by, like a great torrent or swift flowing river. I remember it well because I had asked about that phenomenon on a certain forum and they just said (it's all just scenery).. Sounds familiar?

This great torrent of visions lasted for weeks. It was really quite upsetting, not knowing what it was.

Because I could not find any information on it, I eventually changed the type of meditation that I was doing and the spectacle of hundreds of visions whizzing by went away. It was quite nerve-racking, sitting there while many many visions, lights and colors go whizzing past. It was like being on a carnival ride, a circus or a fast flight through the galaxy.

Since then, I have had that experience many times.. but I've managed to figure it out, because for the last month or so, I have been practising non-meditation - Dzogchen. First I dissolve a few thoughts and then just remain in that area of space, not doing anything at all, except watching, trying to remain neither attached or detached.. After about 10 minutes of just remaining in that space, the visions start up all by themselves.

Except, now the visions are no longer a swift moving torrent of colors.. they've slowed down. They are a continual stream, but each scene or vision remains longer. And, some of the visions are so clear and bright that I am having trouble trying to distinguish between regular reality and the visions. The visions look that real.

I think I am starting to understand the practice, because after the meditation sessions, I can clearly see that this normal reality appears just like the vivid clear visions during meditation. The fine line between the visions in the vision-state and normal reality is being blurred.

Is anyone who is practising Dozghen here having similar experiences?

Do you have a teacher?

Edited by themiddleway

Dzogchen is petrol IMO;) It can just as easy proliferate ignorance as extinguish it. If you have you have an natural affinity for the teachings under the namer "Dzogchen" seek out a teacher.

Dzogchen is petrol IMO;) It can just as easy proliferate ignorance as extinguish it. If you have you have an natural affinity for the teachings under the namer "Dzogchen" seek out a teacher.

No, I do not have a Dzogchen teacher, other than what teachers have written in books, and the odd connection through the astral.

I live in Northern Canada and Dzogchen teachers in person are non-existent.

Do you have a teacher?

Maybe you could ask him/her about the visions.

The main danger, I have read, is mistaking the visions as a part of duality when in fact they are as empty as everything else. That is one of the main themes of my post... about how slowly the 'reality' of the normal world is being eroded and becoming more and more illusory, all on its own, by simply remaining in the natural state and watching the visions appear, stay for a while and then dissolve away.

Do you have a teacher?

Maybe you could ask him/her about the visions.

I enjoyed that one.

For me, these things are noise created by an out of control imagination. I believe the more you tame it, the slower they will become and then stop.

I enjoyed that one.

For me, these things are noise created by an out of control imagination. I believe the more you tame it, the slower they will become and then stop.

Imagination implies volition. There is someone whom is feeding energy into thoughts, they imagine something and cause it to grow.

Sitting and not feeding the thoughts, leaving them alone, one discovers that they myriad thoughts and visions occur all on their own.

Here are the stages according to "The Meditation on the Clear Light" - Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche:

At the beginning when you are starting to practice:

1) All these visions are are falling down like a waterfall.

2) After that, when you have more and more practice the movement is slower like a water-pool under the waterfall.

3) Then, even slower like a river going towards the sea or the ocean

4) Then there is the ocean; ther is a little bit of shaking but not very roughly anymore.

5) Finallyt it is without any wind (blowing on the surface) shaking the ocean, very gentle and calm. This shows exactly how much you have practiced and how stable your nature is.

Note: he also distinguishes between forced visualizations, or constructed visualizations and the visions that arise from remaining in the natural state. The visions that are referred to above are the visions which arise spontaneously from rigpa, from the heart of awareness..

Imagination implies volition.

In my view, whether it be conscious or unconscious, it is still from the same medium of the imagination.

Maybe you could interchange imagination with vision. Experiencing a consciously created vision or experiencing a unconsciously created vision by just remaining as you are. In my view, both are visions, but one is consciously controlled and the other isn't.

TI,

I don't practice Dzogchen, but I know what you're talking about. There are at least two types of thoughts or mentation: active and passive. What you've come across is the passive stream of mentation. I believe this comes from the unconscious, and if you follow it, it will eventually unfold into dreaming.

Sign in to follow this