You're wrong, chiD - there are very specific breath techniques in these forms. Period. If you're unfamiliar with them, then you should educate yourself before commenting, criticizing or correcting.

Xi = inhale

hu = exhale

These sounds are for the person calling "cadence" during group practice.

Xi xi hu pause

those are the four steps in the most advanced version.

In, in, out, pause

heel, ball, heel, ball

Slowly...

Little puffs of breath. Inaudible.

More in than out. The missing exhale takes a long time to get used to. You can't learn this from text or YouTube.

CD has discovered the Ultimate Breathing Method, s c. Perhaps you misunderstood.

• Like 1

CD has discovered the Ultimate Breathing Method, s c. Perhaps you misunderstood.

Correction:

The UMB was discovered more than two thousand years ago by the Chinese Taoists. It has been known as Tu Na(吐吶).

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Forgive me:

CD speaks of the Ultimate Breathing Method, s c. Perhaps you misunderstood.

Interesting just how easy it appears to be for some to start an argument about discrepancy in personal experience.

As my teacher likes to say: "two martial artists, three opinions."

• Like 2

Correction:

The UMB was discovered more than two thousand years ago by the Chinese Taoists. It has been known as Tu Na(吐吶).

What does the acronym UMB stand for?

As my teacher likes to say: "two martial artists, three opinions."

except that, if you read the OP, you'll see the actual topic is indeed something more specific than "What's been your personal experience with walking and qigong?" (Which is a great topic in itself, and one that's come up often). So, the spirit of many of the replies so far are akin to students of Wing Tsun breaking into a Bagua group and telling them they're doing it all wrong (which happens here, too, of course).

There's an undertone of disrespect in the flow of this thread, and it comes from plain ignorance of the subject. Therapeutic Qigong Walking (whichever school is stems from) is arguably the most widely and successfully applied 'gymnastic therapy' in use in clinics today (in China, anyway). My own teacher is in China working with therapists and patients once or twice a year and has experienced many many complete remissions of advanced stages of cancer.

However, any therapy, qigong or otherwise, effective enough to battle and conquer a demon like that is going to have side effects some times. That's just how it is. And that's what the OP is about. So maybe someone with experience in therapeutic walking qigong can offer specific insights?

For my part, I've written my teacher and explained the situation. And I already mentioned that the closing routine is a crucial step, but didn't see where anybody noticed.

1. what kind of energy does the body gather while doing walking chi kung practices?

2. does the body get "addicted" to this kind of energy ("addicted" = to get used to)?

3. how often/ how long should i train walking chi kung?

1. The 'kind' of energy is a question guaranteed to get a plethora of conflicting answers and I'm not offering one.
  2. "addicted" doesn't = "get used to'". Perhaps you mean accustomed instead of addicted?
  3. depends on your actual practice and as I wrote previously, this is something I don't really feel can be learned effectively from a book or video. In clinics, they'll do this for many, many hours a day, in many sessions. But for general health, a half hour is more than ample.

The warm feeling and urge to continue, I wouldn't grade as negative effects at all (but I did write my teacher about it and I'll let you know what he says). This is a more powerful practice than maybe you thought when you bought the book :) Maybe the more important question is how you feel during your regular day. Do you notice any changes, pleasant, unpleasant or otherwise? And also, how well do you sleep? That's a good measuring stick for judging the general condition.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 5

hehehehe....

What do you think that you are doing right now......??? :D

staying on topic.

No argument from me that the Tu Na you keep harping on is authentic and effective, I understand your perspective 100%. But it would be a show of respect for other people's experiences if you would fight the urge to wield it like an axe every time the subject of 'qigong' comes up.

• Like 5

thank you soaring crane for coming back to my questions! and thank you for really trying to answer them and to help me! i would like to send you a pm to give you some more detailed information.

thank you to everybody who contributed to the topic "walking chi kung"! i found a lot of useful information! thanks a lot! i will definetely look for a qualified teacher to learn more about walking chi kung.

• Like 3

Li Ching-Yuen said to walk like a pigeon :)

and sit like a tortoise and sleep like a dog :)

He knew a thing or two about this stuff!

• Like 1

staying on topic.

No argument from me that the Tu Na you keep harping on is authentic and effective, I understand your perspective 100%. But it would be a show of respect for other people's experiences if you would fight the urge to wield it like an axe every time the subject of 'qigong' comes up.

Sorry, my action had causing you some mental distress and wasting your time. I am sorry that I still haven't gotten the point across. However, I don't know have you noticed that there are some high power members do share my thoughts the same way. Perhaps you might want to follow their advices. In case you would like to know who they are, you might find their names by the "Like This" button.

I believe those high power members had already sorted the facts from the fallacies without coming forward to offend anyone. I am the only one who is sticking my neck out to make a fool of myself. My apologies to all for making my contribution in such a repetitious manner.

Best regards.

• Like 3

and sit like a tortoise and sleep like a dog :)

He knew a thing or two about this stuff!

Anything about cats in Li Ching-Yuen?

I like cats.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I just wonder how many lives I got left.

;)

Cat man do.

Maybe it's finally time for the cat man to do.

Yeah.

Hysterical.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

The walking qigong I practice is from the Stillness-Movement system. Most people wouldn't notice I was "doing anything" other than walking.

This is what interest me ... I hike a lot around with my GF ... It would be fine to do this stuff alongside hiking ... and nobody wont knew that I do something "unusual" ... :)

Any chance to get info "how-to"?

Edited by Jox

This is what interest me ... I hike a lot around with my GF ... It would be fine to do this stuff alongside hiking ... and nobody wont knew that I do something "unusual" ... :)

Any chance to get info "how-to"?

Send me an email detailing your Stillness-Movement experience and we will see if we can't walk you right into it.

• Like 2

Send me an email detailing your Stillness-Movement experience and we will see if we can't walk you right into it.

Thank you, I will ... :)

Edited by Jox