hello to all you taobums out there!

i have some questions concerning walking chi kung practices:

1. what kind of energy does the body gather while doing walking chi kung practices?

2. does the body get "addicted" to this kind of energy ("addicted" = to get used to)?

3. how often/ how long should i train walking chi kung?

i practice zhan zhuang chi kung regularly (almost every day) for at least one hour up to 90 minutes

per day. i really started doing walking chi kung last year. at the moment i practise walking chi kung for about one hour three or for times per week. i do exercises from the book "walking chi kung" by lam kam chuen. during the last weeks my body felt very hot inside during the training and for a short time afterwards. i have the impression that my body gets "addicted" to the energy created by the exercises and that i have to continue my practice.

what do you think about it? thank you for your answers in advance!

• Like 2

Feeling addicted is feeling.

Use the cultivation to step aside from the feeling and observe who is 'feeling addicted' then return, gently; to the cultivation.

You've attained to one of the 'Y' ( Roads diverge) junctions along any walking QiGong path.

The signpost to the left is marked 'feelings' and indicates a circular path that will bring you back to the junction you are at now.

The path to the right takes your cultivation onwards and upwards to the next 'junction' along the way.

" QiGong psychoses" ( so called) are narrated by people who find themselves going around and around one of those circular by-ways off the path of cultivation.

Hope that helps.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Walking qigong is one of my main activities, has been for a long time. I'll check in again later, but atm I just wanted to mention that the 'addiction' is something to look into and you're right to question it.

Anything about it in the book?

One other thing - do you have a closing exercise? You definitely should!

• Like 1

My walking qigung tends to be in circles ;). (tell me who didn't see this coming upon seeing that I replied to a thread about qi walking).

Hmmm, being addicted to health improvements, interesting notion...

I think it depends a lot on the focus used while walking, as to what sort of energy the body gathers. Earth energy pretty much in the way I practice it.

I find that if you can manage for at least half an hour (and I mean all types of qi walking), that you can get some pretty amazing results. This long isn't needed of course, but you will find a lot more things happening if you do manage for this long.

• Like 3

I think its about time I confess....many will possibly have noticed by now given my Jesus picture.....but I OldChi am a Chi Addict. I get as much as possible and store it in my dantien everyday. It's gotten to the point where I practice Chi Kung for over an hour every day and then even when I am driving my car and walking around at work I still struggle with my desire to collect chi in my Lower dantien.

The warmth and flowing energy moving up my spine, the sense of expansion in my 3rd eye and the subtle bliss that sometimes accompanies my addiction......it can all be a bit too much....I am now even working on trying to learn to collect chi while I sleep and dream.....it will be a struggle to leave this addiction behind....but I know that I have all of my Bums to depend on for assistance and support in this struggle.

Couldn't resist. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

One can look at it this way, as a question: Is it better to walk expending energy or increasing energy? Once that decision is made, then it is a simple matter of practice if the decision is to walk while gathering energy.

Personally, I never not do qigong walking while walking - anywhere.

• Like 7

On a more serious note ill give my opinions to the 2nd and 3rd questions since I don't have any knowledge of the 1st.

Sirius, I think it's often best to listen to your body while you practice. Yesterday I was practice some Chi Kung and as I usually do I was ready to get pretty "intense" with the motions. But I could feel my body say "take it easy don't gather so much Qi you're still a bit sore (energetically) from yesterday's session." So I decided to take it easy and cut my session a bit short and keep it at 30-50% intensity. Be receptive, always trust your intuition and listen to your body.

I suppose its possible to get addicted to chi, but I think that is pretty rare. What's more common is for people to get power addictions and get there head blown up with a bunch of crap thinking there guru of the year and develop messiah complexes just because they develop a little power and charisma as a result of there chi development practices....life,the path and the power you develop as an individual through your practice will continually test your virtue. Know thyself remains the most important rule. A good thread that I typed out long ago: http://thetaobums.com/topic/18274-spiritual-maturity/?hl=%2Bspiritual+%2Bmaturity

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

I also practice walking qigong any time I am walking.

Hiking qigong is particularly rewarding, BTW.

• Like 5

Hiking qigong is particularly rewarding, BTW.

Sounds fun. Something to look forward too. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

I know about the part on walking but what about the Chi Kung part....??? What did you do for the Chi Kung part....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Looking at the "walking chi kung" book cover...it looks ridiculous. Is that how people practice it? I personally just go for a walk like a normal person, hands swinging by the sides. Just that isn't a bad form of qigong at all!

thank you all for your answers, for sharing your experiences, for your insights, for your help!

awareness is a key word. i will more carefully watch what happens during the training and how i feel afterwards. thank you ,old chi, for your statements and the link referring to bruce frantzis. i`m glad that you`re addicted, too. lol!

thank you, soaring crane for the advice to do closing exercises. i do several closing exercises: gathering chi in the lower dan tien, for example. i don`t remember having read something about getting addicted to energy in the "walking chi kung" book. but i will pick up the book and look for it.

probably my question also came up, because i have a health issue: a chronic sinusitis. the walking chi kung helps me a lot to be able to cope better with the symptoms and to feel better.

soaring crane could you write some more about your experiences with walking chi kung? btw, do you attend lam kam chuens chi kung workshop in germany in may? i live in germany, too :-).

• Like 1

Hi Sirius - I only have mobile access at the moment, so difficult to write out thorough replies.

I learned qigong walking - xi xi ho - mostly with Dieter Hölle from Illertisen. Very intense instruction, many hours.

I'll have my notebook again tomorrow, can write more.

For the masses - qigong walking is a qigong form, or, as usual, an umbrella term for many qigong forms. It look crazy at times, lol. But it's powerful healing medicine. The major area of application is in reversing cancer.

• Like 1

Looking at the "walking chi kung" book cover...it looks ridiculous. Is that how people practice it?[/b[ I personally just go for a walk like a normal person, hands swinging by the sides. Just that isn't a bad form of qigong at all!

The walking qigong I practice is from the Stillness-Movement system. Most people wouldn't notice I was "doing anything" other than walking.

• Like 3

Most people wouldn't know what you all are saying here anywhere besides doing something without knowing.

Edited by ChiDragon

Most people wouldn't know what you all are saying here anywhere besides doing something without knowing.

On the contrary, there are many members of this forum who have actually studied many different forms of walking qigong. This is not something you read about - it is something you learn and do. You can't know without the doing.

I highly advocate walking qigong and would wish everyone the chance to learn and practice it - so awesome!

• Like 2

On the contrary, there are many members of this forum who have actually studied many different forms of walking qigong. This is not something you read about - it is something you learn and do. You can't know without the doing.

I highly advocate walking qigong and would wish everyone the chance to learn and practice it - so awesome!

Yes, I realize that but no one has told me what had they done different in their walking than an ordinary walk. Everybody walks, are you saying everybody is doing Walking Chi Kung....??? If so, then why so many people did not get the benefit out of it.

I know it is awesome but what make it so unique to make it so awesome....??? I know I am doing something different when I sit or walk. Anyway, what I would like is to hear a direct answer from somebody.

• Like 1

Do you actually wish to know or are you doing the classical CD thing of asking a question so you could pounce and say something like "Oh you are wrong, because in my native language....." then proceed to "educate" us?

• Like 2

Yes, I realize that but no one has told me what had they done different in their walking than an ordinary walk. Everybody walks, are you saying everybody is doing Walking Chi Kung....??? If so, then why so many people did not get the benefit out of it.

I know it is awesome but what make it so unique to make it so awesome....??? I know I am doing something different when I sit or walk. Anyway, what I would like is to hear a direct answer from somebody.

Hello ChiDragon,

In the Stillness Movement version of Chi Kung Walking, I'm acquiring more energy than I'm using. And, I'm seeing the energetic as well as the physical. Apparently, I also move faster. Last time I did Chi Kung Walking, my Wife and the people she sent to find me accused me of getting a ride instead of walking... :ph34r::D Very easy on these old cartilage and bones, too. You just glide along.

• Like 2

That's not what other people are saying, but that's what I'm saying. The benefits of walking are well known.

I circle walk like a crazy man.

Round and round.

Widdershins.

Round the Fairy Ring.

ttime!

No wonder folk tink me a little odd.

;)

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

If anybody is willing to provide instructions for walking chi gung I'd be all ears. Failing that, is there a book or video you'd recommend, and, if so, why. Thanks!

Liminal