Sign in to follow this  
sunchild

length of hair in relation to level of awareness

throughout the internet are discussions/examples of hair and how it is thought to affect the neurosystem/psychic centers of a person. so i thought why not have one here :P

i've heard of groups such as the native americans and indian sadhus claim that their long hair is directly correlated to their states of heightened awareness.

i've also heard of groups like the druids and tibetan monks keeping their head shaved to attain a higher and also "clearer" states of heightened awareness.

do any of you have experiences in which you think your hair length may have been directly correlated with certain states of awareness?

or

are you of the belief that hair length does not affect the pursuit/attainment of greater awareness?

i'm excited to hear from you all :)

• Like 1

I recall vaguely, the story of some intensely psychic Russian twin sisters from the late 19th, early 20th centuries, whose abilities, or the intensity of them were linked to their incredibly long hair... I can't find the article now that featured them, perhaps it was a book.

I'll quote it, if I find it, it addressed this very thing as at one point they were threatened with having their hair cut in an interrogation setting.

• Like 1

Hair is just dead keratin, the same stuff rhino horn is made from, so I don't think hair itself does anything. If keratin amplifies awareness, rhinos and narwhals would be sages, which I find hard to believe.

However, someone who chooses to shave their hair off or keep it long as an expression of humility, lack of vanity, realising that you aren't your body, and dedication to cultivation may have heightened awareness because of that. There's probably also some role for the placebo effect.

• Like 3

Could it be that long, healthy and strong hair just indicates the same for the kidneys?

Strong kidneys are the foundation of the internal energetic system, and weak kidneys results in hair loss etc

Look it up- kidneys and hair in TCM.

My 2 cents,

Peace

• Like 3

I always thought monks shaved there hair because hair is wrapped up in beauty and ego. So shaving it is a sign of humility.

I do think think there may be something to long hair. Could be an electrical static thing or something else at work, but long hair may do something. Or as Edward said, long shiny hair means kidneys or some system working very well.

Certainly in several chi gung's there is hair breathing techniques.

• Like 1

i've heard that story about the native recruits before, it's very interesting :)

i think their sudden drop in awareness could possibly be tied into what seeker of tao stated, as far as attaching them attaching certain characteristics to their hair/image of self.

Hair is just dead keratin, the same stuff rhino horn is made from, so I don't think hair itself does anything. If keratin amplifies awareness, rhinos and narwhals would be sages, which I find hard to believe.

However, someone who chooses to shave their hair off or keep it long as an expression of humility, lack of vanity, realising that you aren't your body, and dedication to cultivation may have heightened awareness because of that. There's probably also some role for the placebo effect.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I always thought monks shaved there hair because hair is wrapped up in beauty and ego. So shaving it is a sign of humility.

I do think think there may be something to long hair. Could be an electrical static thing or something else at work, but long hair may do something. Or as Edward said, long shiny hair means kidneys or some system working very well.

Certainly in several chi gung's there is hair breathing techniques.

!!!, this is news to me. i'll look into this further :)

i've been shaving my head bald for the last couple weeks, and i've noticed a clarity that wasn't present before. i'm not sure if this is just gradual meditative advancement or if in some part due to my 'new hair' :P

throughout the waking hours i feel much more aware of my surroundings and the people within them. a new level of 'connectivity', but also a marked detachment. my thinking has been noticeably 'sharper' than before, people around me have also suggested as much to me. i just want to investigate this further before i jump to any rash conclusions. i'm learning not to jump to conclusions :)

i appreciate you all giving your input, i hope there's more to come :)

**i'll report back with any more articles/material i see as pertinent to the matter

I had hair down to my mid back throughout my 20's.

For the last 17 years, I keep it shaved close.

Never noticed it affecting any of my experiences, except when people admire the shape of my skull.

That and it takes me 13 seconds to wash and dry my hair now... :)

• Like 1

I've got long hair. Why? Anti Qing sentiments. Not really, but I do have long hair. It's just the way it grows out of my head.

Yup. If I tie my hair in a top knot and grow a beard, I always "feel" more wise. Just because I got the look.

• Like 1

I have heard where some yogis said they believe that long hair is helpful for absorbing qi or cosmic energy or whatever and similar, but I have not experienced this myself. I have also come across where some qigong meditation practitioners have commented that they have felt their qi move right out to the ends of their hair during their practice, but I have not experienced this. The stuff about hair absorbing qi or some form of energy may relate to certain types of practices. Many yogis and taoists work with prana/qi and 'energies' in general, so having long hair might have some special benefit in certain types of practices along these lines, while in Chan Buddhism or other such practices their approach may be quite different, so long hair may not be so important. For the average person who is not involved in intense cultivation, I am not sure if it would make much difference one way or the other, but you never know. For native americans, I have heard long hair described as being like the grass on the Earth, so it may be that they also had beliefs about long hair being important as a connection to the Earth or to nature, or something along those lines, but I don't know for certain about that as well.

:)

• Like 1

I could see the potential for hair to act as branches and leaves do for trees in gathering and interacting with Qi.

However, the branches and leaves are living and the hair is perhaps, not so much. Interesting.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this