Sign in to follow this  
GrandmasterP

Entering the Tao of Sudden Enlightenment free resource

Entering the Tao of Sudden Enlightenment free resource.

This Tao is not the same Tao as in the TTC.

頓悟入道.....

It should be translated as:

Entering the Path of Sudden Enlightenment free resource.

• Like 1

You're asking me?

I didn't even know it wasn't 'Tao'.

Boy is my face ever red?

:-)

Sorry guys.

Found it on MA forum and thought that it may be of interest.

Mods please delete.

Edited by GrandmasterP

You're asking me?

I didn't even know it wasn't 'Tao'.

Boy is my face ever red?

:-)

Sorry guys.

Found it on MA forum and thought that it may be of interest.

Mods please delete.

No, don't delete this. This is an excellent link GMP.

So what if it's not Daoism, it is still a signpost pointing to the unfathomable.

We humans create sects, sub-sects, lineages, traditions blah blah. These man-made constucts are barriers to experiencing the Dao. Forget about whether something's 100% Daoist or 100% Buddhist. It just is.There is so much value in Ch'an and Zen teachings if you remove the cloak of ism.

As I've said before, most Ch'an and Zen practitioners are closer to the Dao than people that argue about semantics and word play on a Daoist forum.

• Like 1

Most people are confused with the idea about "enlightenment(頓悟)" and "Ch'an(禪)". These are the esoteric terms for Buddhism. It has nothing to do with Taoism.

Edited by ChiDragon

Most people are confused with the idea about "enlightenment" and "Ch'an". These are the esoteric terms for Buddhism. It has nothing to Taoism.

The Dao is to be found in all things, you only need to have the means to feel/experience it.

I agree that Buddhism and Daoism are different. But contained within these man-made religions are the roadmaps to the joy and appreciation of all life.

Drop the isms. They are a barrier to the wonders of the unfathomable Dao.

• Like 1

The Dao is to be found in all things, you only need to have the means to feel/experience it.

I agree that Buddhism and Daoism are different. But contained within these man-made religions are the roadmaps to the joy and appreciation of all life.

Drop the isms. They are a barrier to the wonders of the unfathomable Dao.

Philosophically, Dao is to be found in all things. However, with the isms, it makes the difference in practice; even though, there are some commonalities existed between the two religions. For a better understanding, it's best to distinguish them apart.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Even Enlightenment can have many layers and deepness , so describing it as "sudden " and likely banging is true, but hardly is it something final .

A Tang Dynasty Chinese monk deliberately writes a very famous book called 《頓悟入門 》 ( "Initial guidelines for sudden Enlightenment" ) which teaches people how . Its methodological beauty and simplicity is amazing, but better read it in Chinese, otherwise its effect is largely abated .

An abrupt appearance of Taoist meta-Mind (元神) is similar to Buddhist Enlightenment , the difference is that in Taoist case, there are always accumulated jing and qi to pop IT up .

Just raise a simple example : when we are tired , we can't memorize and understand well what we are reading despite how simple the materials they are. Enlightenment is a much deeper and clearer kind of understanding with extra spiritual dimension , so we need to accumulate much more jing and qi .... and IT will come upon us at sometime... suddenly ; that means never should we deliberately search for IT :- )

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 2

Most people are confused with the idea about "enlightenment(頓悟)" and "Ch'an(禪)". These are the esoteric terms for Buddhism. It has nothing to Taoism.

The Dao is enlightenment.

People today have cheapened the word 'Dao'.

Chapter 1 of the DDJ tells you all you need to know. You can try and explain the Dao to others, just as you can 'enlightenment', but in the end all words fail. It can only be experienced.

The Dao is enlightenment.

People today have cheapened the word 'Dao'.

Chapter 1 of the DDJ tells you all you need to know. You can try and explain the Dao to others, just as you can 'enlightenment', but in the end all words fail. It can only be experienced.

Tao is not enlightenment. In Chapter One, 道(Tao) has two meanings already, one is Tao itself and the other means "spoken". The are more meanings defined in the later Chapters. The meaning of 道(Tao) in this thread means "path".

I am just telling you that there is a mistranslation which causing a misrepresentation. This is general knowledge, "enlightenment(頓悟)" and "Ch'an(禪)" are the esoteric terms for Buddhism. It has nothing to do with Taoism.

Edited by ChiDragon

Forget the wordplay chidragon and look/feel/experience the essence of the teachings. Less books and words and more practical experience and you'll find there is no difference.

It has nothing to do with Taoism.

You're quite correct, it has nothing to do with Dao(ism). That is because Daoism and Buddhism are man made religions created many years after the words were spoken and written.

But - it has everything to do with the Dao. The unfathomable, unnameable.

I couldn't care less about the validity and accuracy of translations. I have learned to look beyond the words and focus on the message.

If you really want something to read, try Dogen's Shobogenzo. Then wordplay and the differences between Dao(ism) and Buddh(ism) will disappear.

Dogen will blow your mind and you'll never look at life the same way again.

You will find enlightenment and the Dao while your eating a Snickers bar !

Sign in to follow this