Aeran

Energy 'blockages' causing health problems

This is a complicated situation, but I'll try and keep the explanation as brief as possible. If anyone has any input or advice, or is able to help in any way, it would be massively appreciated.

Basically I have, as the title suggests, what I believe at least a couple major energy blockages which are causing problems with both my spiritual practice and physical health. The first and most obvious issue is in my legs, where I get bouts of intense, painful prickling and itching whenever I perform an exercise which runs energy through that part of the body. I first noticed this in Dec. 2012 when I tried learning Qi Gong for the first time, I ignored it at first hoping it would go away, but it's been there consistently ever since, I try and ignore it and push through in the hope that continued practice will clear up, but so far it hasn't improved significantly. Obviously this interferes with my practice quite a bit, as I end up cutting certain exercises short when the symptoms become too painful to continue (Monk Gazing at Moon from Flying Phoenix is one example which triggers this in a major way).

The second major area where problems manifest appears to be in the upper left torso. I first had trouble here around the middle of last year, when I noticed symptoms similar to the ones in my legs appearing in my left arm whenever I meditated. After a few weeks this went away, which I put down to improving posture in my shoulders and neck during practice (I have a long history of upper back problems).

However this area appears to have become problematic again, practicing sets off intense symptoms there (both acutely and long term - especially the morning after a day on which I practice). At first it was just ordinary pain in the shoulder blade, in the torso under the armpit, and along the arm itself - then it seemed to spread further inward and start causing weird symptoms around my heart, chest tightness, palpitations, shortness of breath, sudden spikes in blood pressure and heart rate. Obviously I saw a doctor at this stage, who ran some tests and didn't find anything then put it down to stress and anxiety (which I had issues with a few years back when I was living a very high pressure and unhealthy lifestyle, but I thought I had gotten rid of). On top of that, they tend to manifest alongside physical fatigue and just generally feeling awful.

These symptoms all correlate directly to spiritual/energetic practice, and go away entirely if I stop practicing entirely (which I have done twice, to test the correlation), but they came back as soon as I resumed practice - even basic emptiness meditation, which sets off the upper-left torso issues (as well as the leg symptoms if I sit in full lotus posture). Or standing outside in a basic wu chi (sp?) posture (exactly like this one here http://thestillmind.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_01401.jpg ), which results in an almost immediate buildup of the painful prickling in my legs followed by the other symptoms manifesting over the next day or so (especially upon waking the next morning).

I'm kind of at my wits end on how to deal with this. I've been trying to just 'push through it' in the hopes that it would clear up with practice, but that hasn't worked. I don't have a teacher available to consult in person (although I do corresponding online with one and am hoping to hear back from another). The obvious next step seems to be to consult someone in person, but I live in a smaller city, and all I've found through my searching is an incredibly new age-ish ''wellness'' center and a couple self proclaimed TCM practitioners - none of whom inspired any real confidence when I looked at their websites or spoke to them on the phone, and all of whom want large sums of money for their time.

So as I said, if anyone has any suggestions on how to approach this problem - or even if any other Aussie members can recommend practitioners or healers within the country who could help with the problem (I'm in Adelaide, but willing travel out of state if necessary) - it would be majorly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

From the perspective of the healing practices which I have been learning pushing through a blockage may not work unless there is consciousness brought into the blockages in some way, pushing through may even be perceived as a sort of violence on the body which may cause it to contract around the blockages even further without the pattern being brought into the light of awareness first. I could give you the details of a practitioner in my tradition in Sydney, or they can work long distance if you wanted.

Chiropractor- vertebral subluxation in mid back

Acupuncture

Yang getting stuck- heat, anxiety

Do you practice outside- bare feet?

Mid back- acupuncture points are one of the main Qi flows

upper-back-pts1.gif

Yu-Points-Chart.jpg

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 2

Between 5th and 6th cervical on MCO here.

Blockages are pretty common.

If you feel sick, stop.

If it's just a minor blockage then ......

Focus 'around and through' gently.

It'll shift eventually.

Be kind to yourself.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Obviously, you have some chronic illnesses internally. May I ask how often do you do the M-thing like most males do....???

First off i think you're right in stopping all the practices that are causing the ill effects.

Does basic moving qigong (not worrying about breathing, visualisation or moving energy etc) have this effect on you still?

It seems to, yes, although I haven't experimented with this too extensively, but, for example that standing posture I linked the picture of (http://thestillmind.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_01401.jpg), sets it off rather badly (I tried it both indoors and outdoors).

Have you looked into some distance qigong sessions? Chunyi lin, michael lomax etc.

The thought occurred to me, although distance healing isn't something I know a lot about, and I'm kind of wary about it since it seems like it would lack the ability to provide immediate feedback - what if they end up doing something which only makes the problem worse? Or if they undo the ''blockage'' entirely in one go and all the 'sick energy' (so to speak) floods my system at once and trashes my health even further (I'm not even sure if that's a reasonable concern, as I said I don't know much about it)? That's not to say I'm totally opposed to the idea, but I'd want to speak to someone carefully before I have them tinker with my energetic anatomy from the other side of the planet.

From the perspective of the healing practices which I have been learning pushing through a blockage may not work unless there is consciousness brought into the blockages in some way, pushing through may even be perceived as a sort of violence on the body which may cause it to contract around the blockages even further without the pattern being brought into the light of awareness first. I could give you the details of a practitioner in my tradition in Sydney, or they can work long distance if you wanted.

I have been working to try and understand what's going on, from a spiritual/emotional perspective, if that's what you're referring to, but so far it hasn't made much of a difference.

Contact details for a practitioner in Sydney would be awesome :)

Chiropractor- vertebral subluxation in mid back

Acupuncture

Yang getting stuck- heat, anxiety

Do you practice outside- bare feet?

Mid back- acupuncture points are one of the main Qi flows

I didn't even think of a chiropractor - to be honest, I know very little about what they do or how it's supposed to work. I'll look into the option.

Acupuncture is something I've been thinking about, the problem is that there are a lot of places around here that do it, but not many with a great reputation, or which give the impression that their practitioners know anything about the 'energetic nuts and bolts' so to speak. Most of them (and this goes for TCM here in general, from what I've found researching the subject) seem to be of the ''stick this needle here and that needle there and then take this herb because that's what the books say'' variety, which I don't think will be of much use. I just don't have the time, energy or finances to go into the city every day and see a random acupuncturist until I find one who knows what they're doing, which is why I was hoping someone here would be able to point me in the right direction.

I haven't been practicing outside, no, although I watched that documentary someone posted here on TTB about 'grounding' and for the last 4 or 5 days have been making a point to spend at least an hour or so barefoot and outdoors. I understand that there are supposed to be setups which can allow you to bring the energy from the earth indoors with wires and such, and am going to look into the concept, and in the meantime will keep going outside barefoot as much as I can each day - which does seem to get the energy flowing through the legs, I noticed the painful prickling symptoms there started up briefly one afternoon just from walking around on the lawn barefoot while I watered the garden.

Between 5th and 6th cervical on MCO here.

Blockages are pretty common.

If you feel sick, stop.

If it's just a minor blockage then ......

Focus 'around and through' gently.

It'll shift eventually.

Be kind to yourself.

Hmm, I haven't been thinking in terms of MCO, do you think it might be related, based on the symptoms described?

My working theory, based on what I've been feeling and experiencing and my limited/amateurish knowledge of energetic anatomy, is that the flow of the energy somewhere along the legs or in the pelvis is or was blocked (possibly due to posture or lifestyle, I spend a lot of time sitting down, and until a year or two ago had awful posture), causing a buildup of 'sick energy' if you will, in my legs, and that my practice is either causing that blockage to start coming undone or otherwise aggravated that buildup of 'sick energy' and causing it to leak slowly up into my torso, where it gets stuck in the left shoulder/heart area and causes more problems before being 'metabolized' away. Kind of like the energetic equivalent of an abcess which is slowly leaking into the blood stream - but I could be completely off the mark there.

Alternately the cause could be emotional, but that gets a lot more complicated. It's probably worth mentioning that my personality has, in Bardon's terms, a very strong Air element and very weak Earth element, with Earth being the element related to the legs and pelvis. I'm just not sure if that's a factor, or to what extent those emotional/mental aspects translate so far over into the denser energetic/physical body.

Obviously, you have some chronic illnesses internally. May I ask how often do you do the M-thing like most males do....???

Once a week. I abstained completely for a while last year, but the benefits seemingly plateaued after about a week while the buildup of libido became more and more distracting, so I settled on once a week.

Does your skin get red and blotchy, like hives or histamine release?

I would get a tennis ball, lay it on the floor and roll those tender spine areas over it, as you lay flat with your back on the floor and on the ball.

Notice where those areas feel.

Some trigger points = feel like pain is at location X, but the original source of pain is elsewhere, like location Y and/or Z

Abstract:

Do you have any personal unresolved issues with a female? needing closure? this sounds like a Yi problem source- although symptomatic of Yang

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 1

It seems to, yes, although I haven't experimented with this too extensively, but, for example that standing posture I linked the picture of (http://thestillmind.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_01401.jpg), sets it off rather badly (I tried it both indoors and outdoors).

Is that what you referring to as your Qi Gong practice or meditation. No wonder you are having so much pain. You're actually doing Zhan Zhuang rather than Qi Gong. At the beginning with Zhan Zhuang, your body will be going through lots of pain for standing at the posture. It was your body that is not accustom to that kind of stress all the sudden. It takes time for your muscles to build up the muscle tone to get use to the great amount of stress which was being applied to them. Btw It has no bearing if you do it indoor or outdoor.

Does your skin get red and blotchy, like hives or histamine release?

With the legs, yes. I haven't seen anything like that with the chest, although I have noticed a few times a distinct tingling feeling running along the skin in that area when I'm drifting in and out of sleep.

I would get a tennis ball, lay it on the floor and roll those tender spine areas over it, as you lay flat with your back on the floor and on the ball.

Notice where those areas feel.

Some trigger points = feel like pain is at location X, but the original source of pain is elsewhere, like location Y and/or Z

I'll give this a shot and let you know what happens. Probably worth mentioning that I had upper back pain for years (especially around the shoulder blades and the neck), but managed to mostly get rid of it with postural change, stretching and meditation - the area is still rather stiff and tight, but the pain was 99% gone until all this started happening.

Abstract:

Do you have any personal unresolved issues with a female? needing closure? this sounds like a Yi problem source- although symptomatic of Yang

Not that I can think of. I did have something like this up until about 6 months or so ago - a relationship which didn't end well and was 'left hanging' somewhat - but we got back in touch and managed to sort things out and part on better terms.

Could you clarify what you mean by ''Yi problem source''?

Edited by Aeran

Is that what you referring to as your Qi Gong practice or meditation. No wonder you are having so much pain. You're actually doing Zhan Zhuang rather than Qi Gong. At the beginning with Zhan Zhuang, your body will be going through lots of pain for standing at the posture. It was your body that is not accustom to that kind of stress all the sudden. It takes time for your muscles to build up the muscle tone to get use to the great amount of stress which was being applied to them. Btw It has no bearing if you do it indoor or outdoor.

ZZ isn't going to cause that much problem, man

• Like 1

No no :P That's just something I picked up off the warmup section of the Flying Phoenix DVD's, it was never a regular part of my practice until I experimented with it a few weeks ago to see what effect it would have on my symptoms. I tried it a few times indoors and outside, noticed it set everything off pretty badly with both, and haven't touched it since.

With the legs, yes. I haven't seen anything like that with the chest, although I have noticed a few times a distinct tingling feeling running along the skin in that area when I'm drifting in and out of sleep.

I'll give this a shot and let you know what happens. Probably worth mentioning that I had upper back pain for years (especially around the shoulder blades and the neck), but managed to mostly get rid of it with postural change, stretching and meditation - the area is still rather stiff and tight, but the pain was 99% gone until all this started happening.

Not that I can think of. I did have something like this up until about 6 months or so ago - a relationship which didn't end well and was 'left hanging' somewhat - but we got back in touch and managed to sort things out and part on better terms.

No no :P That's just something I picked up off the warmup section of the Flying Phoenix DVD's, it was never a regular part of my practice until I experimented with it a few weeks ago to see what effect it would have on my symptoms. I tried it a few times indoors and outside, noticed it set everything off pretty badly with both, and haven't touched it since.

Female related- maybe mother sister daughter girlfriend wife- it carries over into physical from metaphysical world

Earth grounding, Yin Qi issue at work- the flow is being blocked

Example:

Money problems may cause back pain

• Like 2

Female related- maybe mother sister daughter girlfriend wife- it carries over into physical from metaphysical world

Earth grounding, Yin Qi issue at work- the flow is being blocked

Example:

Money problems may cause back pain

Hmmmm. Nothing comes to mind immediately, but I'll think it over from that perspective and see if anything occurs to me.

I'll definitely keep up with trying to spend time ''grounded''' every day and see what impact that has.

Edited by Aeran

Hmmmm. Nothing comes to mind immediately, but I'll think it over from that perspective and see if anything occurs to me.

The mind- forgets nothing

some will blame current medical conditions on past life stuff

I won't go that far

I think you are having some related issues, and it is triggering spasms, nerves, etc in your Thoracic spine and Scapula area

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 1

I think you are having some related issues, and it is triggering spasms, nerves, etc in your Thoracic spine and Scapula area

But how would that tie in with the symptoms in the legs?

But how would that tie in with the symptoms in the legs?

Meridians nerves run up and down

or your spine is out of balance, hips pelvis etc and causes various problems

hard to tell via online

when you sweat, do you problems?

ever look into this:

Venous Insufficiency

What is chronic venous insufficiency?

CVI_01_250_darker.jpgArteries bring oxygen-rich blood from your heart to the rest of your body and veins return oxygen-poor blood back to your heart. When your leg veins cannot pump enough blood back to your heart, you have chronic venous insufficiency (CVI). CVI is also sometimes called chronic venous disease, or CVD. You have three kinds of veins: superficial veins, which lie close to the skin, deep veins, which lie in groups of muscles, and perforating veins, which connect the superficial to the deep veins. Deep veins lead to the vena cava, your body's largest vein, which runs directly to your heart.

When you are in the upright position, the blood in your leg veins must go against gravity to return to your heart. To accomplish this, your leg muscles squeeze the deep veins of your legs and feet to help move blood back to your heart. One-way flaps, called valves, in your veins keep blood flowing in the right direction. When your leg muscles relax, the valves inside your veins close. This prevents blood from flowing in reverse, back down the legs. The entire process of sending blood back to the heart is called the venous pump.

Edited by SonOfTheGods

When you walk and your leg muscles squeeze, the venous pump works well. But when you sit or stand, especially for a long time, the blood in your leg veins can pool and increase the venous blood pressure. Deep veins and perforating veins are usually able to withstand short periods of increased pressures. However, sitting or standing for a long time can stretch vein walls because they are flexible. Over time, in susceptible individuals, this can weaken the walls of the veins and damage the vein valves, causing CVI.

What are the symptoms?

If you have CVI, your ankles may swell and your calves may feel tight. Your legs may also feel heavy, tired, restless, or achy. You may feel pain while walking or shortly after stopping.

CVI may be associated with varicose veins. Varicose veins are swollen veins that you can see through the skin. They often look blue, bulging, and twisted. Large varicose veins can lead to skin changes like rashes, redness, and sores.

CVI can also cause problems with leg swelling because of the pressure of the blood pooling in the veins. Your lymphatic system may also produce fluid, called lymph, to compensate for CVI. Your leg tissues may then absorb some of this fluid, which can increase the tendency for your legs to swell. In severe cases, CVI and the leg swelling can cause ulcers to form on the lower parts of the leg.

What causes CVI?

Over the long-term, blood pressure that is higher than normal inside your leg veins causes CVI. This can lead to damage to the valves, which can further worsen the problem. In some instances, the valves that prevent blood from flowing “backwards,” can be congenitally defective. Other causes of CVI include deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and phlebitis, both of which cause elevated pressure in your veins by obstructing the free flow of blood through the veins.

DVT_01_Base_275.jpgDVT occurs when a blood clot (properly called a thrombus) blocks blood from flowing toward the heart, out of a deep or perforating vein. The blood trying to pass through the blocked veins can increase the blood pressure in the vein, which, in turn, overloads your valves. Vein valves that do not work properly are called incompetent because they stretch and no longer work efficiently, and incompetent valves contribute to CVI. DVT is a potentially serious condition that causes leg swelling and requires immediate medical attention because sometimes the blood clots in the veins can break off and travel to the lungs. This condition is called a pulmonary embolus.

Phlebitis occurs when a superficial or deep vein becomes swollen and inflamed. This inflammation causes a blood clot to form, which can also lead to DVT.

Factors that can increase your risk for CVI include a family history of varicose veins, being overweight, being pregnant, not exercising enough, smoking, and standing or sitting for long periods of time. Although CVI can affect anyone, your age and sex can also be factors that may increase your tendency to develop CVI; women older than 50 most often get CVI.

What tests will I need?

First your physician asks you questions about your current general health, past medical history, and symptoms. In addition, your physician conducts a physical exam. Together these are known as a patient history and exam. Your physician may measure the blood pressure in your legs and will examine the varicose veins. To confirm a diagnosis of CVI, the physician may order a duplex ultrasound test or sometimes another test called a venogram.

Duplex ultrasound uses painless sound waves higher than human hearing can detect. Duplex ultrasound allows your physician to measure the speed of blood flow and to see the structure of your leg veins.

A venogram is an x-ray that also allows your physician to see the anatomy of your veins. During this test, your physician injects a dye, properly called contrast, which makes the blood in your veins appear on an x-ray.

How is CVI treated?

CVI is usually not considered a serious health risk. Your physician will focus his or her treatment on decreasing your pain and disability.

Varicose_01_Base_175.jpgCompression stockings

For mild cases of CVI, your physician may recommend compression stockings. Compression stockings are elastic stockings that squeeze your veins and stop excess blood from flowing backward. In this way, compression stockings can often also help heal skin sores and prevent them from returning. You may need to wear compression stockings daily for the rest of your life.

You can help avoid leg swelling and other symptoms by occasionally raising your legs and avoiding standing for long periods of time to decrease the pressure in the veins. When you do need to stand for a long period, you can flex your leg muscles occasionally to keep the blood flowing. You can also help lessen the symptoms of CVI by maintaining your ideal body weight or losing weight if you are overweight.

More serious cases of CVI may be treated with injections, called sclerotherapy, or with surgical procedures. Fewer than 10 percent of people with CVI require surgery to correct the problem. Surgical treatments include ablation, vein stripping, bypass surgery, valve repair, and angioplasty or stenting of a vein.

Sclerotherapy

In sclerotherapy, your physician injects a chemical into your affected veins. The chemical scars your veins from the inside out so your abnormal veins can then no longer fill with blood. Blood that would normally return to the heart through these veins returns to the heart through other veins. Your body will eventually absorb the veins that received the injection.

Ablation

Ablation uses a thin, flexible tube called a catheter inserted into a varicose vein. Tiny electrodes at the tip of the catheter heat the walls of your varicose vein and destroy the vein tissue. As with chemical sclerotherapy, your varicose vein is then no longer able to carry blood, and it is eventually absorbed by your body.

Vein stripping

To perform vein stripping, your physician first makes a small incision in the groin area and usually another incision in your calf below the knee. Then your physician disconnects and ties off all veins associated with the saphenous vein, the main superficial vein in your leg. Your physician then removes this vein from your leg. A procedure called ambulatory phlebectomy, or small incision avulsion, can be done either alone or together with vein stripping. Small incision avulsion allows your physician to remove individual varicose vein clusters from the leg through tiny incisions.

Bypass

For more extensive problems, your surgeon may recommend bypass surgery to treat CVI that occurs in the upper thigh or pelvis. For example, your surgeon can connect an artificial vein, called a graft, or a transplanted vein to a vein not affected by CVI to help blood flow from your affected leg around the blocked vein. Most vein surgery can be performed through small incisions. Usually bypass surgery is safe, although there is a small risk of DVT and infection at incision points. Your physician will only recommend this procedure in the most serious instances.

Valve repair

In valve repair, your surgeon shortens the valves inside your vein to improve valve function. After making a small incision into your skin, your surgeon cuts into the affected vein. Your surgeon then folds or tucks the valve flaps. He or she may place a fabric sleeve around the outside of your affected vein to help press the walls of the vein together to maintain valve function.

Angioplasty and Stenting

In more severe cases of CVI, your surgeon may recommend angioplasty or stenting. An angioplasty is the use of a balloon to push open a narrowed or blocked portion of the vein. A stent is a metal-scaffold tube that helps to keep the narrowed areas open. In some instances, depending on where the vein blockage is, this may be used to open up the blockage. The procedure is performed through small needle punctures in the veins, either behind the knee or in the groin. Typically angioplasty and stenting are safe procedures.

maybe others can benefit from this so I put it all there

https://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/chronic-venous-insufficiency.aspx

Edited by SonOfTheGods

Hm, okay, starting in December 2012, that's less than 1 1/2 years, right? To be honest, I would be more surprised if that short time would be sufficient to get completely done with opening your leg's energy system and healing big and old/chronic problems. Especially if you're not in a guided retreat where you can focus on that 24/7.

According to Bill Bodris descriptions, opening up the legs is one of the tasks that is simply not so easy to do, so it'll take it's time and is normal to appear. I also have some development there, and for me it also takes time, though I'd guess with those Qi-Gong stuff you're doing a more kind of "forceful" approach .. and well, that might work a little bit faster, but being more effective might mean being more painful. I tend to do emptiness meditation, and if I add some slightly forceful stuff it hurts like someone would aim at particular parts of my body with a laser pistol or something. Often not so nice, but well, let it take it's course, it simply has to happen.

I would suggest to at all means go on with regular practice, but maybe search for some softer forms if you can't stand the pain, or the pain is getting too intensive. I read that you should forget about your body in such situations, and finally it will be over at some timepoint - but if it's too much for you and becomes a reason for you to drop your practice, maybe you're going to fast at it, or maybe you're pushing yourself and your body too much and should first learn some detachment from your body.

Yes, I also have some old injury, though I'm not even soo old (the older you get the higher the probability that you have latent old or chronic issues in your body that have to be cleared out), and that areas are also causing me trouble.

Do you have some connection to past masters, buddhas or bodhisattvas whom you could ask for help? Asking human beings about that stuff is always difficult for me as well; but fortunately, if you have the connection, there definitely are non-physical beings and persons existing who are capable of helping you with such issues, sometimes quite directly ;)

Hope that helps somewhat, and all the best with your practice!

Yascra

Edited by Yascra

Meridians nerves run up and down

or your spine is out of balance, hips pelvis etc and causes various problems

hard to tell via online

when you sweat, do you problems?

ever look into this:

Venous Insufficiency

All that isn't something I've ever heard of - but it doesn't seem to fit, since what I'm describing only happens during qi gong or similar energetic practices. Still, I'll look into it.

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 1

Little Book of Hercules?

Hm, I'm more the guy favoring online resources, and he has some articles concerning that issue on his hp :)

Edit: But yes, I'm talking about the author of that book, if that's what you were asking.

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 1