phore

Neutralizing acidic drinks like Apple Cider Vinegar and Kombucha

Hello,
I like the health benefits of Kombucha, and apple cider vinegar, but drinking it regularly hurts my teeth.

I would like to neutralize these acidic liquids with baking soda. I am aware that Adding baking soda during brewing would prevent my kombucha from fermenting properly. So i plan on adding it to my glass 1 hour or so before drinking.

There is apparently a precedent for this as some german scientists added calcium to a kombucha concentrate to neutralize the acidity in the product kombuchal.
http://www.happyherbalist.com/browseproducts/Kombucha-Tea-Concentrate--Kombuchal.html

Adding and allowing the reaction to occur will produce carbon dioxide and various neutral salts. This process normally would occur in my duodenum, to neutralize the acid anyways, so i see no reason as to why this will interfere with the health benefits of the acids.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/digestive/question464.htm

http://www.ddc.musc.edu/public/organs/stomach.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_juice

Now as to the probiotics. They grow well In the acidic environment but the fact that they are able to colonize the digestive tract and body outside of the stomach suggests that "the bicarbonate rich pancreatic juice and alkaline bile" do not kill them off.
The fact that the KT and ACV are converted to alkaline substances during digestion implies that the salts produced by alkalization/neutralization are responsibe for many of the health benefits.

From a chinese medicine-esque perspective, preneutralizing the KT and ACV Conserves the earth and wood energy in the pancreas and gall Bladder.

Its just my theory? What do you think?

• Like 3

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acv_baking_soda_cures.html

this is a good rescource i have located.

I also use the organic with the mother vinegar, and my kombucha is home brewed from organic ingredients.

I am drinking some Kombucha with baking soda (not baking powder) right now.

The ratio of neutralization seems to be 8 oz kombucha (continuous brew) to a little over 1/4tsp baking soda. I still like it a little sour. Tastes like very sweet tea.

Maybe i will do a test run to see if neutralized kombucha can still grow a scoby. :)

• Like 2

Sodium bicarbonate= baking soda

the body needs the salts for ions ;)

I am drinking some Kombucha with baking soda (not baking powder) right now.

24 hours report.

I poured kombucha and a small amount of pineapple juice into a jar added some baking soda. Resulted in a slightly acidic brew.

I left it in the jar covered.

Today upon inspection a beginning of a scoby is forming. (engulfing the foam created by the baking soda lingering at the top of the jar.)

If it continues to thrive, I will try it with an approcamately ph neutral solution.

• Like 2

try staying a little more hydrated and limit your consumption to maybe twice a day. i really like the taste of kombucha but realize it can be verry acidic. so i usually drink some water behind my kombucha.

My digestive system just doesn't go for acidic nor carbonated, anything. Think I might try this :). Though I'm sure the hell not paying $5 per small bottle of kambucha... if I can brew meade, I'm pretty sure I can do whatever it takes to brew kambusha...

The previous mixture grew a full scoby.

I made a neutral solution then set it in a jar. It has also grown a full scoby.

When ph neutral it does not hurt the teeth. It tastes a bit salty and sweet.

This is good if you like to sip it throughout the day.

The tart juices are great when neutralized also.

• Like 3

imma have to try that out, i just harvested my first batch about 3 days ago. turned out good, i bought 2 scobys from a kombucha dealer in the city and started 2 new batches. one batch my regular 3 tea blend, yerbamate-green tea-bamboo tea, and the other coffee ill see how it turnes out..

24 hours report.

I poured kombucha and a small amount of pineapple juice into a jar added some baking soda. Resulted in a slightly acidic brew.

I left it in the jar covered.

Today upon inspection a beginning of a scoby is forming. (engulfing the foam created by the baking soda lingering at the top of the jar.)

If it continues to thrive, I will try it with an approcamately ph neutral solution.

What about trying food grade diatomaceous earth? It's supposed to offer numerous health benefits just on its own.

DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium.

Although according to this thread, it doesn't dissolve fast enough to alkalize acids much...

• Like 1

I used to take very dilute 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar in a glass of water ( about one third of an English pint) once a day but as I got older it started to give me reflux.

If I took a Rennie antacid tablet or similar that sorted it out but I don't like to take those.

Does anyone know what the minimum effective dilution is for apple cider vinegar to still be effective please?

Edited by GrandmasterP

IMO it depends on the effect you want to cause. If it is just for the probiotic effect and the vitamins / minerals trace elements, then the dilution shouldn't matter. But if you want the vinegar to support your digestion due to the acid, I would not dilute it any further. With age the acid in the stomach is reduced and therefore vinegar can help the stomach when taken before a meal (e.g. as salad dressing). Furthermore we need an acid environment to be able to absorb e.g. iron and magnesium. That's why a lot of acid-blockers have magnesium mal-absorption as a side effect. I don’t know about Rennie, but some (older?) acid-blockers even use aluminum which is suspected to cause damage to the nerve system (Alzheimer, MS etc.) so I would be carefull.

Ever tried balsamic vinegar or lemon juice as an alternative to cider vinegar?

all the best!

• Like 1

Many thanks.

Lemon juice I take with my cuppa tea.

Balsamic Vinegar I love.

Looking out for cider vinegar with the Mother in and will see how that goes.

Update.

Kombucha taken ph neutral form apparently causes none of the symptoms I was experiencing with the acidic version.

What if many of the foods listed as highly alkaline that contain high acid contents (lemon, apple cider vinegar, kombucha, ect) actually just cause a strong attempt to neutralize the acid by the body excreting its alkaline substances.

This might cause a short term observable spike in alkalinity while consuming these substances, but a long term acidic effect, as the alkaline substances become depleted.

I have not tried diatomaceous earth. Would it taste good and dissolve well?

Diatomaceous earth does not disolve. It is pure calcium carbonate. It is like a white dust made out of micrscopic marine organisms shells. Same as if you eat egg shells. Maybe it disolves in gastric acid but not in water.

Diatomaceous earth does not disolve. It is pure calcium carbonate. It is like a white dust made out of micrscopic marine organisms shells. Same as if you eat egg shells. Maybe it disolves in gastric acid but not in water.

I didnt realize diatomaceous earth was calcium carbonate.

I have read of calcium carbonate being used to neutralize a kombucha product called kombuchal. But i have also read that the compounds formed under these circumstances may contribute to kidney stones.

Heres the link to kombuchal from my first post:

http://www.happyherbalist.com/browseproducts/Kombucha-Tea-Concentrate--Kombuchal.htmFr

From the above site:

"The original version of the patent recommended calcium to be added during the process. The intended purpose was not implicit for health, as Dr. Barefoot and others have recommended, but was an attempt to improve the taste by neutralizing the acids. For two main reasons we choose not to add calcium. 1. Amounts of simple calcium, without complete minerals, may lead, in many people to calcium poisoning (like gout) and 2. The acids not only are beneficial health wise they provided a preservative action and we found the semi-sweet taste quite acceptable

Calcium may be added when taking. We recommend a high grade of marine Coral Calcium, which may be taken in extreme high doses without side affects We do recommend TRC Coral Calcium or TRC Liquid Calcium."

I do not totally agree with everything said here as i believe that the acids are just as beneficial in a ph neutral form, and possibly more easily absorbed.

Do note the part about calcium poisoning.

Heres a link about baking soda and ACV

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acv_baking_soda_cures.html

• Like 1