Sign in to follow this  
steve

I Ching and Music

I'm not an I Ching practitioner but I am a (mediocre) guitarist.

Carlo Domeniconi, one of my favorite composers for classical guitar, has composed a set of short pieces for the guitar based on I Ching.

He threw the stalks and came up with each piece based on the result.

On the 8th throw, the result told him to stop.

They're recorded on a wonderful disc of Chinese and Chinese-inspired guitar music played by Xuefei Yang called Si Ji (Four Seasons).

The movements are on the CD are T'ai, Lin, T'ung len, Huan, K'uei, Chieh.

The 7th was not recorded.

Highly recommended!

• Like 9

On 3/26/2017 at 5:18 AM, Vajra Fist said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread. Does anyone know where to get the sheet music/tab for this?

wow thats awesome

idk where you could get the sheet music, but you could get it made by a freelancer.

I love classical guitar work, particularly 12 string.

This is fascinating, I'd love to hear them...

Found this list of Carlo's compositions

Surprisingly long list, I didn't find the I Ching compositions on first perusal.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 5:18 AM, Vajra Fist said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread. Does anyone know where to get the sheet music/tab for this?

Sorry I just noticed this.

It has not yet been published to my knowledge. A few years ago I sent an email to Domeniconi's publisher asking about it.

They told me it had not yet been published and didn't know when that might happen.

A few weeks later they sent me another email with a handwritten score attached and told me the maestro wanted me to have a copy! 

Send them an email, you may get lucky as well:

[email protected]

Warning - it's pretty challenging stuff to play but so worth it for me. 

I haven't played any of them for a while, this may get me to take another look.

Thanks for bumping the thread!

On 10/6/2017 at 8:38 AM, silent thunder said:

I love classical guitar work, particularly 12 string.

This is fascinating, I'd love to hear them...

Found this list of Carlo's compositions

Surprisingly long list, I didn't find the I Ching compositions on first perusal.

Here it is from that list, it's so long I'm not surprised you overlooked it:

Opus 114   Yi Jing (I Ching)
(Berlin, 2003)   23 min
Solo guitar. Modern guitar music in 7 movements with Chinese influence. The titles of the movements were chosen using I Ching sticks. The piece Yi Jing, I Ging or I Ching, was written for the Chinese virtuoso Yang Xuefei. Tuning: C-G-d-g-h-e.

I haven't come across any recordings or videos other than the CD by Xuefei Yang.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve said:

Sorry I just noticed this.

It has not yet been published to my knowledge. A few years ago I sent an email to Domeniconi's publisher asking about it.

They told me it had not yet been published and didn't know when that might happen.

A few weeks later they sent me another email with a handwritten score attached and told me the maestro wanted me to have a copy! 

Send them an email, you may get lucky as well:

[email protected]

Warning - it's pretty challenging stuff to play but so worth it for me. 

I haven't played any of them for a while, this may get me to take another look.

Thanks for bumping the thread!

Here it is from that list, it's so long I'm not surprised you overlooked it:

(Berlin, 2003)   23 min
Solo guitar. Modern guitar music in 7 movements with Chinese influence. The titles of the movements were chosen using I Ching sticks. The piece Yi Jing, I Ging or I Ching, was written for the Chinese virtuoso Yang Xuefei. Tuning: C-G-d-g-h-e.

I haven't come across any recordings or videos other than the CD by Xuefei Yang.

Ha!  Just talking with my gal about Yi Jing this morning at the beach... come home to find this waiting!

Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Synchronicity is amazing...

Yesterday I was looking at a video on travel to Norway on my laptop sitting across from my wife who couldn't see or hear what I was watching. She looks up out of nowhere and starts talking about taking a trip to Norway... Blew me away.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steve said:

(Berlin, 2003)   23 min

PS - from the composers notes on the score, it was more than the titles that came from the result. The results were both the titles and the inspiration for the compositions.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this