mike 134

Any weight lifters here?

Do you guys do anything or have to omit anything to protect your spine ? Whenever I do lat pulldowns or overhead presses it causes my kundalini syndrome to flare up. I think its due to spinal tension and compression, and it causes nasty kundalini overload problems, can't sleep, agitation, twitches, etc.

So I have to be really careful to keep it in neutral position and use substitute exercises whenever possible, like lateral dumbbell raises for the shoulders instead of presses. My ab exercises are usually isometric like front and side planks to keep the spine neutral, instead of doing crunches and situps. If anybody else lifts and has to deal with kundalini problems I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.

I don't omit anything. If anything I make sure to be very inclusive of my whole body and spine.

It sounds like your trying to avoid lighting up your kundalini... in which case yea you would have to be careful with your spine.

Do you have anything to ground yourself out (just sitting?, zhan zhuang?)?

John

Do you have anything to ground yourself out (just sitting?, zhan zhuang?)?

I try to take walks 30 min- 1 hr most days, its supposed to be good for the spine. But I don't think it really helps. I normally don't do yoga but I googled relaxing yoga and found some stuff. Tried child's pose, legs up the wall pose, abdominal breathing, cooling breath. Doesn't work. I guess these things are no match against heavy weights lol.

On Monday I lifted hard for an hour and this caused a kundalini flare up that's just resolving 3 days later despite lots of walking. Insomnia, twitching last couple of nights sucked I had to take valium and klonopin. What's zhan zhuang, just standing in place ?

I'm really afraid of getting permanently worse kundalini wise from lifting. Been lifting for months no problems until now. So that means kundalini is getting worse? I'd rather be a skinny unfit guy who doesn't lift than to be aesthetic but going crazy with kundalini problems.

Interesting, lifting has never influenced k-type energy going up my spine. And I tend to get energy going up my spine and throbbing at my brow, but pulldowns etc. doesn't effect it.

I do 3 sets until failure with failure aimed at 8th-12th rep each set, and this only takes about 10-15 minutes. If you're lifting for an hour you must be doing something differently to me.

Interesting, lifting has never influenced k-type energy going up my spine. And I tend to get energy going up my spine and throbbing at my brow, but pulldowns etc. doesn't effect it.

I do 3 sets until failure with failure aimed at 8th-12th rep each set, and this only takes about 10-15 minutes. If you're lifting for an hour you must be doing something differently to me.

I guess it makes sense if you think about it this way. Yoga 'works' because spinal movements create neurological effects we interpret as 'kundalini'. But then again any sort of spinal movement has the potential to do the same, especially stressful ones like heavy lifting.

Nah I don't do the same thing for one hour. I'm on a push pull abs split, so like on pull days when I'm doing lat pulldowns I also do rows, bicep curls, reverse flies, shrugs. 3-4 sets plus warmup is about an hour.

I always wear a belt when I work out with the weights.

I don't have a back problem as such, I'm just old, and I don't want to mess it up at my age.

I try to take walks 30 min- 1 hr most days, its supposed to be good for the spine. But I don't think it really helps. I normally don't do yoga but I googled relaxing yoga and found some stuff. Tried child's pose, legs up the wall pose, abdominal breathing, cooling breath. Doesn't work. I guess these things are no match against heavy weights lol. On Monday I lifted hard for an hour and this caused a kundalini flare up that's just resolving 3 days later despite lots of walking. Insomnia, twitching last couple of nights sucked I had to take valium and klonopin. What's zhan zhuang, just standing in place ? I'm really afraid of getting permanently worse kundalini wise from lifting. Been lifting for months no problems until now. So that means kundalini is getting worse? I'd rather be a skinny unfit guy who doesn't lift than to be aesthetic but going crazy with kundalini problems.

Try a 1 hour yoga class. My gym offers anti-gravity free yoga. My recommendation is: Ashtanga Yoga It's the closest thing I've come to as per weights.

I always wear a belt when I work out with the weights.

I don't have a back problem as such, I'm just old, and I don't want to mess it up at my age.

Your post just made me laugh, thanks. :)

• Like 2

It sounds like it might be an issue with the scapula. I would also recommend yoga and maybe some sort of body work.

It sounds like it might be an issue with the scapula. I would also recommend yoga and maybe some sort of body work.

what kind of scapular issue ? Yesterday I went back to the gym after a 5 day hiatus. I had just recovered from my last workout and was off the sleeping pills. But last night I couldn't sleep again after this workout :( Had to take more benzos. I was really careful too. Basically did a light routine with less weights than usual. All I did was bicep curls, side lateral raises, front raises, tricep dips, and chest flies, 3 sets of each with 6-12 reps. I kept my spine neutral at all times. The most weight my spine supported yesterday was only 50 pounds (2x 25 lb dumbbells for side lateral raises).

And I was still feeling anxious agitated twitchy can't relax or sleep.

Weightlifting is great but there's a whole world of exercise regimes out there. If lifting weights is causing you this much agitation, consider stopping. There's kettle bells, which may or may give you similar problems. Body weight exercises run from simple to highest level athletics. Running, aerobics, tons of different exercises.

Even a move to yoga, tai chi or martial arts might be a good change.

Personally I like kettlebells.

Or even a military physical training regimen. (The US Army has theirs posted on the internet somewhere.)