Sign in to follow this  
Trunk

State of the Board - April 3, 2014

Great post, Trunk.

I think your observations and proposed remedies are spot on.

I appreciate the sacrifice of time you and the moderators make to keep this board a-float.

_/\_

• Like 3

Thanks for setting up the I Ching forum and thanks to everyone who moderates for your time and effort.

• Like 4

Thank you very much to the mods for modding, so I don't have to... :D.

Seriously though, thanks for sticking it out, not an easy job.

And :wub: the iching section! :)

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 2

So like, basketball rules instead of hockey rules?

Travelling = Consecutive off topic posts

Goal tending = disrespecting points of view without giving adequate reason as to why

Foul = personal attacks

Out of bounds = topic derail with persistent negativity

Double dribble = too many new topics on same subject

And when things go wrong, I guess the offending party will either sit on the bench, or the mods could throw the question at hand up in the air and let them try again according to the rules, or this case, good forum decorum?

So like, basketball rules instead of hockey rules?

Not a bad analogy.

p.s.

Even some things that haven't been overtly against the rules (i.e., overly sexy gifs) might be simply hidden (maybe a little stricter in the office).

• Like 1

Aye, thank you for that clear statement. And thanks for welcoming me :)

I have to say that actually I'm more sorry for a development that makes such a shift necessary... but without a doubt it's difficult if people show up just to cause trouble, so there has to be some way to deal with that attitude.

Let's hope that times might change and things might smoothen out to some degree.

I'd like to say a Thank You to everybody who's investing their time and energy to keep up this place here and contribute to create an atmosphere for positive exchange, that means Mods and Tech and Admin, and whomever I might have forgot.

Good to have you here :)

• Like 6

WTG Trunk, and all the rest of you mod-squadders! You all really do a tremendous job and most all of us appreciate it :-)

Solid.

b.mod+squad.jpg

This seemed almost obligatory.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

With these changes and the giving of more authority to moderators, one thing I'd like to request is that when some is suspended (temporarily or for however long) or banned that the moderator log be updated at the same time that it is done as well as the reasons given that such action was taken.

Thus, there is a sense off open-ness in regards to this kind free style moderation. Would like to hear others thoughts on this?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 5

.. one thing I'd like to request is that when some is suspended (temporarily or for however long) or banned that the moderator log be updated at the same time that it is done as well as the reasons given that such action was taken.

Thus, there is a sense off open-ness ...

You're right. We're *supposed* to post in the moderation logs section already... but sometimes we (including me personally, plus I am responsible for directing the team, so twice me, lol)... Sometimes after: getting the mod report, discussing it, coming to a decision, posting publicly in-thread, posting in the appropriate spots in the (private) moderator dungeon ... sometimes after all that I've gone, "ppffftt, I'm tired, gonna do other things in my life", lol. But, yup, we should be doing that already and your comment is a good reminder to be better at it.

• Like 2

You're right. We're *supposed* to post in the http://thetaobums.com/forum/165-moderation-logs/]moderation logs section[/url] already... but sometimes we (including me personally, plus I am responsible for directing the team, so twice me, lol)... Sometimes after: getting the mod report, discussing it, coming to a decision, posting publicly in-thread, posting in the appropriate spots in the (private) moderator dungeon ... sometimes after all that I've gone, "ppffftt, I'm tired, gonna do other things in my life", lol. But, yup, we should be doing that already and your comment is a good reminder to be better at it.

Cool, sounds like good stuff. For the record, In the past.......I have had to take up disciplinary positions in organizations I was part of as well.

Thus......I understand how difficult it can be for many moderators on the forum, dealing with people in this fashion. It can be a very taxing ordeal....emotionally and psychologically. It sucks to have to deal out the hurt and mold and decipher the best course of action to take.

I give great thanks for all of the Bums whom have taken up the challenge of being leaders and stewards in this forum. The Tao Bums is a place of learning and sharing that is worth preserving. May you continue to grow as powerful and wise emperors, constructively guiding the course of policy in this site. Blessings!!

http://dreadgod.net/the-emperor/

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 5

What members should learn from this is that there is a little less rope and a little less tolerance for rudeness, insults and trolling. Before you post in anger or indignation, think twice and err on the side of civility.

We don't want to stifle lively discussion, speak your truth but stay within the bounds of our forums rules and decor.

• Like 6

I think important to repeat what I just mentioned in another thread:

Moderators' role is staying essentially the same, with only minor adjustment. They will still be careful, methodical, ruling by consensus, mostly along the rules and basic patterns of mod'ing ... with some significant but still modest allowance for "just doing the right thing" within the spirit of the board. All of those components keep the moderators working pretty much as they have been in the past.

Admin's role is the one that is changing considerably, with the ability to step in occasionally with quick-to-ban or other action to protect the atmosphere of the board. Here's how I foresee (and hope) it will work out in the short and long run, a quote of mine from a private conversation:

While there was immediately a number of bans by me, my guess is that the result will be - in the longer term - less admin involvement. I think by infrequent admin action of efficiently getting rid of the *very* *few* real trouble-makers that the general level of negativity will be greatly diminished... so that the moderators can be left alone more to manage a more manageable board, and that the admin can leave for more extended periods of time.

How things actually progress, we'll have to see.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this