Owledge

Your thoughts on the misuse of the term "tulpa"?

Instead of repeatedly writing bits and pieces I wrote in other places, I'm mostly asking you for your thoughts on the matter and might respond to those.

A little background knowledge might help, but briefly summarizing, as stated here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

a tulpa is a corporeal (at least visually present to everybody) and at least pseudo-individual being brought into existence by power of the mind. Naturally a very rare feat, almost mystical, although I can easily believe it has been done.

Now if you hear someone talk about attempting to create a "tulpa" these days, know that in virtually all cases they mean a non-corporeal thought form; Basically something halfway between an imaginary friend and a tulpa.

Very briefly commenting: I can assume various viewpoints. One that it is disrespectful (might be seen like this by relatively serious Buddhists), another one is that it is just plain unwise/egoistical/bad gamble to hijack a thing's name, because without a name, a thing easily vanishes from consciousness.

(Need a comparative example? - Who these days still knows what is truly "epic"? ... Hell, not only is the word "epic" being used like sugar in lemonade, but even the term "truly epic" has been watered down to the same level.)

I can distinguish many different types of entities: They can be material and individual-minded (anchored in the unconscious - we, haha), they can be just illusorily corporeal, they can be pseudo-individual (schizophrenia-based, anchored in the subconscious), they can be consciously made up (imaginary friend), they can be perceivable to the creator only (hallucination), they can be induced into other people's minds (illusion).

Edited by Owledge

Back in the day when my thirst for new spiritual experiences outweighed any common sense, I had a very weird experience with a magical ritual practice that I learnt off a hippy in London. The hippy claimed it was Central Asian in origin.

To cut a long story short, after practising this ritual for a month I started seeing these different entities. Particularly at night when I was trying to sleep. I was the only one who could see them and it was like peering into another dimension. But the experience got too intense so I stopped practising the ritual. It took ages for the effects of the practise to stop but eventually it subsided. Kind of made me revise my attitude to the teaching of the

31 planes of existence and random hippy teachers.

I don't know if what I experienced is strictly a tulpa but it felt like this practise was inducing hallucinations. Very powerful magic.

Edited by themiddleway

Back in the day when my thirst for new spiritual experiences outweighed any common sense, I had a very weird experience with a magical ritual practice that I learnt off a hippy in London. The hippy claimed it was Central Asian in origin.

To cut a long story short, after practising this ritual for a month I started seeing these different entities. Particularly at night when I was trying to sleep. I was the only one who could see them and it was like peering into another dimension. But the experience got too intense so I stopped practising the ritual. It took ages for the effects of the practise to stop but eventually it subsided. Kind of made me revise my attitude to the teaching of the

31 planes of existence and random hippy teachers.

I don't know if what I experienced is strictly a tulpa but it felt like this practise was inducing hallucinations. Very powerful magic.

Well, I guess it's not just the teacher or the teaching, but also the student. Some people are better at making things like that work.

For example, personally, I didn't have the energy to continue the Kunlun Nei Gung I learned, in part because of lack of results that could keep me going, but the first few times I tried it, I had a brief and modest OOB experience. So it actually worked better in the beginning when my faith was still strong.