dogson

What is Taoism? (Seriously)

Okay, I know this sounds trollish, but I really want to get people's experiences.

My fundamental understanding, beyond anything, is that Taoism is about harmony with nature - with the actual natural world, and with our inner nature as beings, and discovering how deep that goes.

Much as there are many sects and schools of Buddhism, and how saying you are a "Buddhist" isn't really saying much (Zen? Vajrayana? Hinayana?) does the label "Taoist" mean anything? Would a true Taoist even think in those terms?

I'm working on a book about taoism right now, and I'd really value some feedback on this. What does it mean to follow Taoism in the modern world? Especially in regards to technology and engaging with the modern world, pop culture, etc on its own terms.

*braces for some hazing*

• Like 2

There certainly are different schools and everyone finds Taoism in different ways...some are born into it as a religion, others read the Tao Te Ching and start their practice from there. Some practice applying the philosophy to their lives, others change their lives, cultivating more and more as time goes on.

The spectrum is pretty large but the important thing to note is that it needs to fall in naturally with the individual's circumstances and natural Way.

For some, their Way is to become monks, but others could work regular jobs and apply the Tao to that and their home lives. There is a Tao of everything, even cooking.

So in regard to what it means to "follow" (I'm not too sure if that really is the best word for it but I see what you're saying) there is nothing really to note. Then again, there is everything to note, as like I said, the Tao is in everything ;)

I think one thing that we all have in common though is that are all cultivating our own Way/self-mastery. This could be one's health, or martial arts practice, or self-healing...it just depends what that individual needs. Finding harmony is the key.

Hope this helps.

Peace :)

Edited by Rara
  • Like 6

Taoism is a way of life. You did well in your first paragraph of the opening post. Harmony. What a beautiful word/concept.

I really don't see any difference between applying it to one's life 2500 years ago and applying it to our life today. The human problems are the same today as they were back then.

While the tools for living today are different from the tools of yester-years, the job is still the same, to live.

• Like 4

It's a non- sectarian way of being in the world is Taoism.

Other ways are available as are definitions of what Taoism 'is'.

Horses for courses, cherry pick what suits you.

What suits one person doesn't suit another.

We don't 'do' infighting Taoism here on TTB.

Mutual respect rules and vive la differance.

If you want infighting Taoism you need ' Tao in Nature'.

Won't grace that with a direct link , they are a sad bunch of angy-lads-needing-hugs over there but if you want to see t'other side and enjoy strife then you'll find it.

Not here on TTB so much though, 'Tao Bums' tend to major in tolerance NOT intolerance.

All success to your path whatever that comes to be.

It's the journey that counts.

May you journey well.

Here's a map to help you.....

http://www.with.org/tao_te_ching_en.pdf

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Many moons ago I asked this question, and the respondent, a Dzogchen monk, answered somewhat cryptically,

"Tao is not unlike you."

Years later, I understand taoism as a quest for that real you which is not unlike tao.

Anyone who went deep in the pursuit of "know thyself" must of necessity discover that what he or she routinely thinks of as "me" is a construct, a composite made up of assorted ill-fitting bricks of psychological, physical, mental, spiritual conditioning executed by parent and teacher, doctor and preacher, politician and salesman, cop and judge, assorted dispensaries of carrots and sticks, etc. etc.. The spiritually timid label the bricks of this construct something impersonal, abstract -- "fear," "greed," "ignorance," etc.. The spiritually courageous, however, get to the bottom of it and come up with the actual doers of the brainwashing, individuals and groups, not abstractions.

You have no fear until you are scared and intimidated (or manipulated and cajoled) into obedience, you have no greed until you are seduced into believing what you want should far exceed what you need in order for you to be adequate in society, you have no ignorance until your feelings are denied and disallowed, and so on. Identifying who did what toward producing this unreal fake "me" is step one. Step two is getting rid of all the fake "me" that is not the real you.

What remains -- that's tao. And what guides you on this quest, all the tools -- philosophical, religious, empirical, physical, lifestyle-related, state-of-mind related, behavioral, etc. etc. -- the toolbox of wonders to fill with qi and yin-yang, Laozi and Fuxi, I Ching and feng shui, taiji and qigong, alchemy and magic, deities and immortals, compassion and harmony, above all nature and her ways -- her true ways, on which tao patterns itself --

that's taoism.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 9

Taoism im not sure, trying for all you're worth to follow the Tao i guess.

Wich for me isnt about wether or not the world is modern or finding a true this or that, more like a method, a scientific method of observing as best as possible and not doing oneself the disservice of trying to organize the data by essentialism or reduction, or any pattern for that matter, im biased enough as it is and in the pursuit of accepting that.

"Observing what?" one might ask and i'd reply "H*ll if i know, everything? Nothing? This and that depending on my fitness of the day..."

I do like what Marblehead and Grandmaster were on about. Its the jurney, in a brand new retro model chassi designed for a few purposes and useful for endles amounts of applications :)

To sum it up: acceptance, curiosity and observation...

• Like 1

Okay, I know this sounds trollish, but I really want to get people's experiences.

My fundamental understanding, beyond anything, is that Taoism is about harmony with nature - with the actual natural world, and with our inner nature as beings, and discovering how deep that goes.

Much as there are many sects and schools of Buddhism, and how saying you are a "Buddhist" isn't really saying much (Zen? Vajrayana? Hinayana?) does the label "Taoist" mean anything? Would a true Taoist even think in those terms?

I'm working on a book about taoism right now, and I'd really value some feedback on this. What does it mean to follow Taoism in the modern world? Especially in regards to technology and engaging with the modern world, pop culture, etc on its own terms.

*braces for some hazing*

"Harmony with nature" is misunderstood as being to do with trees and stuff. It's more to do with relaxing into everything whether it be man-made or not.

I just see Taoism as a means of refinement. In essence I think of it as ANY path that leads towards the Tao, whether it aims to get all the way or not.

• Like 4

Re: harmony, and nature ,is a cat eating a mouse , harmony? If you can see how that would be so , ,,, Youve made a huge mental leap towards seeing the Tao as it is. IMO ( there are other leaps to be made as well)

• Like 2

I don't do leaps of faith.

They arent leaps (of faith) Im referring to.

Just leaps of understanding which require (or sponsor) a different perspective from the ordinary paradigms.

But either way , I didnt demand you make any leap about the issue. I just provided a consideration.

• Like 4

This:

Essence of Taoism Story From NonTien

There is an old story that once Confucius, Shakyamuni Buddha and Lao-tzu were drinking some peach wine together. Buddha opined that it was bitter, Confucius that it was sour – but Lao-tzu, smiling, found it to be sweet.

The wine, of course, represents human life. Taoism is not a philosophy or religion of salvation or of escape, but of appropriately enjoying and dealing with the real life which we have. Taoism finds perfection in imperfection, and taking the eternal and universal viewpoint of the Tao, realizes that the good is not to be finally judged by personal or human preference.

Taoism suggests that happiness is found in accepting our situation. There is no reason not to do anything reasonable to better ourselves, of course, but resentment, denial or a negative outlook on life do nothing towards increasing our happiness. Cheerfulness, humor and a freedom from fussing are the attitudes that will stead us best in life.

This is not to say, however, that Taoism is any kind of forced and strained "positive thinking". It is fine to be sad or melancholic from time to time. This is a perfect occasion to read or write sad poems, listen to sad music and complain to our friends, and (in moderation) can add to the overall enjoyment of life.

Taoism is also unconcerned with ideas of "advancement" and "success" through some special mode of thinking. A Taoist is only willing to struggle to survive up to a point, after which he is content not to survive, death being a natural commitment of life. Lesser considerations such as career, popularity, fame and wealth are then obviously highly trivial, and not such as to cause serious unhappiness.

The Taoist takes his positive pleasures from the enjoyment of love (in all wholesome forms), learning (of interesting and worthwhile things), productive labor (of a kind actually beneficial to human beings), contemplation (whether of the taste of tea, the beauties of art or the moods of Nature), and Taoist practice (of meditation, t'ai-chi ch'üan etc.).

Above all, he or she endeavors to preserve the basic human integrity and innocence with which we are all endowed at birth, and not to be subverted by the concerns of worldliness. The Taoist strives not to want and get, but to enjoy what is already present with gratitude and grace.

• Like 4

I think it's about Tao.

what's Tao?

i don't know, ask Lao Tzu :P

Many moons ago I asked this question, and the respondent, a Dzogchen monk, answered somewhat cryptically,

"Tao is not unlike you."

Years later, I understand taoism as a quest for that real you which is not unlike tao.

Anyone who went deep in the pursuit of "know thyself" must of necessity discover that what he or she routinely thinks of as "me" is a construct, a composite made up of assorted ill-fitting bricks of psychological, physical, mental, spiritual conditioning executed by parent and teacher, doctor and preacher, politician and salesman, cop and judge, assorted dispensaries of carrots and sticks, etc. etc.. The spiritually timid label the bricks of this construct something impersonal, abstract -- "fear," "greed," "ignorance," etc.. The spiritually courageous, however, get to the bottom of it and come up with the actual doers of the brainwashing, individuals and groups, not abstractions.

that's taoism.

Great post. Another for my best of Taobums collection.

It doesn't just ring true, but tells the reader to take action; confront and dig deeper into their psyche.

• Like 1

Well, I was taught that "Tao called Tao is not Tao." Language is an imperfect means of communication, and Tao is a bigger thing than humans can really comprehend. However, it is a useful word to use for conversation purposes.

So.

One of the better ways I've heard it defined was that Taoism is the philosophy of seeing and understanding reality clearly. If you are pursuing seeing the world, nature, the universe, whatever more clearly, that's Taoism.

I highly recommend you read "The Truth of Tao" by Alex Anatole.

It's a non- sectarian way of being in the world is Taoism.

Other ways are available as are definitions of what Taoism 'is'.

Horses for courses, cherry pick what suits you.

What suits one person doesn't suit another.

We don't 'do' infighting Taoism here on TTB.

Mutual respect rules and vive la differance.

If you want infighting Taoism you need ' Tao in Nature'.

Won't grace that with a direct link , they are a sad bunch of angy-lads-needing-hugs over there but if you want to see t'other side and enjoy strife then you'll find it.

Not here on TTB so much though, 'Tao Bums' tend to major in tolerance NOT intolerance.

All success to your path whatever that comes to be.

It's the journey that counts.

May you journey well.

Here's a map to help you.....

http://www.with.org/tao_te_ching_en.pdf

So what would you say to R. Hubbard, and his followers? Would you say tell them 'everything's fine', and keep doing what makes them feel happy (even though they've been brainwashed to think so). What about the women of saudi arabia? Tell them everything's fine, and to have a nice day walking back home in black? Because then, you are far less of a saint than you think you are. An absence of tolerance doesn't equal intolerance.

Intolerance is never the answer in my opinion. But the ridiculous levels of 'tolerance' on this forum shows with the amount of Jesus quotes sacrileging the place.

And with your talk about tolerance, it doesn't sound like your very tolerant of taoists with another point of view, by that irrelevant comment you made, bashing tao in nature. I'll check that place out.

dogson wrote:

beyond anything, is that Taoism is about harmony with nature - with the actual natural world, and with our inner nature as beings, and discovering how deep that goes.

Please go as far as you dare with just this. Do not listen to anyone. You understand precisely what this is about. Trust yourself.

There is nothing in your question that even touches on entertaining intellectual pursuits. This is a profound approach. May you leave us in the mists of your own wonder.❤

• Like 3

Taiosim is mostly about this, that, you, not about you, etc etc Mostly it is about nothing but one could feel it is all about ones self. Sometimes though it is about others :)

There is this interesting story ...

A priest was in charge of the garden within a famous Zen temple. He had been given the job because he loved the flowers, shrubs, and trees. Next to the temple there was another, smaller temple where there lived a very old Zen master. One day, when the priest was expecting some special guests, he took extra care in tending to the garden. He pulled the weeds, trimmed the shrubs, combed the moss, and spent a long time meticulously raking up and carefully arranging all the dry autumn leaves. As he worked, the old master watched him with interest from across the wall that separated the temples.

When he had finished, the priest stood back to admire his work. "Isn't it beautiful," he called out to the old master. "Yes," replied the old man, "but there is something missing. Help me over this wall and I'll put it right for you."

After hesitating, the priest lifted the old fellow over and set him down. Slowly, the master walked to the tree near the center of the garden, grabbed it by the trunk, and shook it. Leaves showered down all over the garden. "There," said the old man, "you can put me back now."

:)

Bows

• Like 5

words on Taoism are aimed to grasp a meaning .
after you grasped the meaning of Taoism forget words.
don't concentrate on the finger pointing to the moon.

• Like 3