sunchild

lesser banishing ritual/the middle pillar

i was recommended to start an energy practice and every recommendation i received was a form of qigong. now the thing that particularly bothered me about these suggestions was that the recommendation was always followed up by a gentle push to get an in person teacher. now i have no money or transportation. so upon me looking for more practices that didn't necessarily require a teacher, i arrived at the middle pillar book by regardie. i went out and found it at a used bookstore in the city.

now what i'm wondering, is beginning the lbrp (eventually the middle pillar), a sufficient replacement for an internal energy practice?

from what i've gleaned from the practice so far it seems to be a sound method, and works through blockages to eventually cleanly distribute energy and open up channels.

my plan is to begin practicing this book while slowly working towards getting into full lotus pose (hopefully by the end of this year)

is this a legitimate substitute for more mainstream energy practices?

are there any drawbacks or negatives i should be aware of before proceeding?

i was recommended to start an energy practice and every recommendation i received was a form of qigong. now the thing that particularly bothered me about these suggestions was that the recommendation was always followed up by a gentle push to get an in person teacher. now i have no money or transportation. so upon me looking for more practices that didn't necessarily require a teacher, i arrived at the middle pillar book by regardie. i went out and found it at a used bookstore in the city.

now what i'm wondering, is beginning the lbrp (eventually the middle pillar), a sufficient replacement for an internal energy practice?

from what i've gleaned from the practice so far it seems to be a sound method, and works through blockages to eventually cleanly distribute energy and open up channels.

my plan is to begin practicing this book while slowly working towards getting into full lotus pose (hopefully by the end of this year)

is this a legitimate substitute for more mainstream energy practices?

They are completely different practices from what I have experienced and seen in many others.

The only drawback really is the LBRP can diminish the psychic perceptions a lot in many folks.

Though if you are drawn to Ceremonial Magick, definitely go for it, just know that it is different than qigong/neigong etc.

(PS the other folks in this forum section might disagree with me greatly ;) )

They are completely different practices from what I have experienced and seen in many others.

The only drawback really is the LBRP can diminish the psychic perceptions a lot in many folks.

Though if you are drawn to Ceremonial Magick, definitely go for it, just know that it is different than qigong/neigong etc.

(PS the other folks in this forum section might disagree with me greatly ;) )

this, i do not like.

i've become very used to and have adapted some of my 'senses' into everyday life (after the initial shock of course :P)

i just fear qigong madness, i had an episode that greatly mirrored the symptoms of it during my 'kundalini-arousal' episode, and it 'was a bit much' to be honest. i'm debating on whether to try out the 100 day spf qigong regiment. i'm already well into celibacy (body/mental) after a rough start and i'm hearing that an internal practice of some sort is kind of imperative..

Can't go wrong with breathing practice.

true, i've heard this from many people now. i've been working on belly breathing the last couple days, reinforcing the habit.

It is not a replacement, but an excellent compliment. I will post more if I have time.

please do, i'd like to hear your advice/knowledge about this.

I spent periods in the past working extensively with the LBRP ... sometimes daily for months on end. I still 'knock one off ' occasionally when the mood strikes me. :)

I have never found it to decrease my 'psychic perceptions' ... I have however recommended it to others when their 'psychic perceptions' seemed to far out - ( or 'Qigong madness' ? )

Even just the first bit with the cross and visualisation of the energies is a good practice. It suits me, I like working with pentagrams, word projections, assumption of god-forms. etc.

Sunchild, I am assuming The Middle Pillar has a version in it ? .... it's on the bookshelf at the moment so I will check it out.

If someone was serious about studying western ritual magic I wouldn't really want to be involved with them personally unless they had some sort of base in this or something similar.

Since you are at the beginning of exploring it, I wont flood you with info about it though. I will scan the book again to see what you are doing , then if you want I can answer any queries from my experience and perspective.

Edited by Nungali

this, i do not like.

i've become very used to and have adapted some of my 'senses' into everyday life (after the initial shock of course :P)

i just fear qigong madness, i had an episode that greatly mirrored the symptoms of it during my 'kundalini-arousal' episode, and it 'was a bit much' to be honest. i'm debating on whether to try out the 100 day spf qigong regiment. i'm already well into celibacy (body/mental) after a rough start and i'm hearing that an internal practice of some sort is kind of imperative..

true, i've heard this from many people now. i've been working on belly breathing the last couple days, reinforcing the habit.

please do, i'd like to hear your advice/knowledge about this.

The same dangers are inherent anywhere IMO, and are countered by grounding and rooting, a LOT of it :). I have seen folks have troubles from both unfortunately. Also a balanced focus on physical as well as mundane activities are good. I would say a teacher to help you make sure you go through this next stage of your practice well..... but you can find many folks online for advice along the way.

• Like 1

I have reviewed your posts and may have further suggestions, but for now I would like to recommend that you also look into the Ross Cross Ritual:

Golden Dawn Rose Cross Ritual

This is very calming and protective on another level. Also, and I think that BaQuaKicksAss will probably second this, is that you look into natural magic, in particular herbs, since they are inexpensive and easy to get. This is in particular because you mention a kundalini experience and you will be able to feel their effects and connect with their magical power more easily. Lavender, pine and lemon come to mind immediately as having good cleansing and balancing properties.

More as I can. Good luck.

• Like 3

As far as I know, the lbrp isn't an energetic technique, but a psychic one which aims to clear the environment and the mind from external obstructions like ghosts, spirits and negative energies in general.

It doesn't necessarily work on Qi; it is supposed to act on a more subtle level.

Therefore, this cannot substitute qigong, imho.

The middle pillar instead (apart from the fact that it was probably invented by western occultists when they heard about kundalini) should work on the internal energies and on the subtler levels, at the same time.

When you focus somewhere in the body, this influence Qi flow... and when you use divine names, you're acting on a level which is beyond qigong.

It won't take long to become like this

HolyGrail166.jpg

:D :D

:D

• Like 2

As far as I know, the lbrp isn't an energetic technique, but a psychic one which aims to clear the environment and the mind from external obstructions like ghosts, spirits and negative energies in general.

It doesn't necessarily work on Qi; it is supposed to act on a more subtle level.

Therefore, this cannot substitute qigong, imho.

The middle pillar instead (apart from the fact that it was probably invented by western occultists when they heard about kundalini) should work on the internal energies and on the subtler levels, at the same time.

When you focus somewhere in the body, this influence Qi flow... and when you use divine names, you're acting on a level which is beyond qigong.

It won't take long to become like this

HolyGrail166.jpg

:D :D

he seems very... unbalanced :P

The problem with the Middle Pillar is that if the energetic anatomy isn't at least somewhat cleansed of ''blockages'' before practicing it, it can actually compound those blockages and cause major problems. I experienced this myself, and it was pretty awful.

It is my confirmed belief that several weeks at the very least of patient application to the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram should precede any effort to perform the Middle Pillar. For one thing, it will have trained the student in several little tricks of routine and magical technique quite apart from the intrinsic virtues of the exercise, which is to purify and cleanse the entire sphere of personality to the end that the higher self may manifest through a purified body and mind.

It will be realized how necessary analysis is as a preliminary rou tine to magic. The student should have arrived at a fair understand ing of himself, his motives, and the mechanism of his mind, and integrated himself more or less thoroughly so that no dissociation or serious neurosis exists within the psyche. For the presence of a powerful complex of associated ideas in the unconscious, or a marked dissociation splitting off one part of the psyche from the other, will have the effect of short-circuiting the flow of energy generated or released by the Middle Pillar. An explosion in the form of a complete nervous breakdown, or even of the destruction of mental stability, will be a likely result. Many instances have been known of unprepared students contracting fatal physical illnesses through attempting work of this nature, though this is more true where Eastern exercises have been unwisely attempted. Some of these unfortunates, when the dis sociation was rendered complete, have succumbed to chronic melancholia or taken their own lives. These warnings are not intended to be portentous or terrifying, but only to impress upon the student the solemnity of these undertakings, a journey of self-conquest than which nothing could compare in importance or seriousness. - Regardie

I was lucky in that the blockages were so severe that they resulted in obvious, acute symptoms, which gave me enough warning to break off the practice, but if you have a problem on a deeper level (and anyone who's new to spiritual practice is almost guaranteed to have some level of blockage and imbalance, imo) then that may not be the case.

I'd highly recommend that you don't commence with the Middle Pillar as the first stage of practice. At the least, do as Regardie recommends in the above quote and practice the LBRP for a while (he says a few weeks, but I'd recommend at least 3 months or so - can't be too thorough), which should start the process of cleansing your subtle anatomy and adjusting it to the influx of energy. Adding a routine of basic yoga, qi gong or meditation would be even better.

If you haven't done so, I would highly recommend you look into the works of Franz Bardon - his Initiation Into Hermetics is written specifcally for people who are in your situation of wanting to learn these practices but not having a teacher available, and it contains a well rounded and extensive system of progression which is highly regarded.

• Like 1

Generally good advice above. I would heartily recommend both the LBRP and Middle Pillar. One of the key points about the MP is that it brings energy downward, rather than upward (upward raising energy is apparently behind a lot of the more extreme and unpleasant kundalini type symptoms). CHannelling the energy downward from the crown, and circulating it, is safer (apparently). I have had no issues with it.

Bardon's system is excellent, though a bit hardcore. Step one alone took me >1 year to do. So maybe not a quick fix for the OP. Also, the success of the methods of the western mystery tradition may depend how much they resonate with the practitioner. If you are put off by the Kabbalistic nature of the MP exercise (based as it is on the sephiroth), then it is possible the results will be tempered by any inherent distaste for this aspect.

Given those caveats, I would say defdinitely go for it, though. If you do notice any lessening of psychic activity after 6 months or so of the LBRP, then you can switch to the invoking form, knowing that you are starting on a fresh sheet and having banished any residual unpleasantness.

1. is this a legitimate substitute for more mainstream energy practices?

2. are there any drawbacks or negatives i should be aware of before proceeding?

1. No.

2. Yes.

• Like 1

I read your thread on wall knockings... on second thought scrap the middle pillar for now, perform the LBRP as well as the greater banishing of the salt (ie sprinkle salt around) if you get a negative feel in your place. Though finding out first if they are friendly wall knockings or not (magicians are often prone to kick out things before they even find out first) might be a good first step.

I also think stick with just the LBRP for a few months first before moving onto other stuff, and see how it goes. I say this especially since you have had some energetic troubles in the past.

• Like 2

Helpful....

I hate typing while sitting in full lotus

Ok, briefly:

When you do the LBRP you are impregnating your aura with symbols that connect you to a particular current stream.

If you do not understand what this means it is equivalent of getting a tattoo in Chinese that you are not sure what it means.

Down the road, that IHVH egregore will cause problems should you decide to move on.

Taoism uses the pentagram, but their elements are different than western style

Middle pillar pulls energy down the Tajii pole, and using the names, symbols/sounds- etc is connecting your poles to "theirs"

EDIT:

SonOfTheGods

2011 posts

Posted Today, 11:11 AM

:ph34r:

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 3

Ok, briefly:

When you do the LBRP you are impregnating your aura with symbols that connect you to a particular current stream.

If you do not understand what this means it is equivalent of getting a tattoo in Chinese that you are not sure what it means.

Down the road, that IHVH egregore will cause problems should you decide to move on.

Middle pillar pulls energy down the Tajii pole, and using the names, symbols/sounds- etc is connecting your poles to "theirs"

EDIT:

SonOfTheGods

2011 posts

Wow, I agree with someone in the Hermetic section! :)

2011 posts? NEWB!!!!! :D

• Like 1

Wow, I agree with someone in the Hermetic section! :)

2011 posts? NEWB!!!!! :D

Then to rub salt into the wound- they go on to use LBRP and even greater/Hexagram in Enochian.

or -- Unicursal and 93 stream

Schueler even advocates using Egyptian telesmatic imagery

Enochian gets a bad rap because people are UNINFORMED.

Be true to the Art :)

I will say however that although I agree with SotG the two systems are not mutually incompatible. The energies and forces dealt with are the same across systems. It is only the paradigm which differs. And this can be as rigid or flexible as the practitioner desires. But I agree that entering the GD system includes alot of additional baggage (or aids depending how you view it). I don't advocate pick n mix by any means but ultimately the goal is the same and the method of transport does not matter as long as it gets you there.

I reckon.... ;)

• Like 1

The internet being what it is you've probably seen these:

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/TheArtofTrueHealing.pdf

A view that the invoking ritual should also be done

Rex's advice is good. Regardie's The Art of True Healing was a very good early influence and yes it is a good idea to always follow a banishing with an invocation, the reason being that having cleared a space it is a good idea to fill it with something that you want to be there, not something that just moves in.

Here is something to do. Get yourself some rosemary, it makes a lovely tea that is relaxing and tasty. You want to relax the energies around you, so you brew some Rosemary tea pour yourself a cup and hold it in your hands, and say some simple affirmation like 'Rosemary is a manifestation of divine being, may the highest good fill this cup and fill me' pour another cup and say 'May my guests also share in this highest good', drink your tea and say, 'May we all share in the highest good together now and in the future.' and then 'Ok, I know you're here, can you at least stop bugging my parents?' If this doesn't calm things down, then you may have problems that require a different approach. Also taking a bath with rosemary oil and sea salt is a good idea. Lavender oil can also be used.

Get yourself this book:

Spiritual Cleansing

and lay off the ceremonial stuff for a while.

• Like 2

Rex's advice is good. Regardie's The Art of True Healing was a very good early influence and yes it is a good idea to always follow a banishing with an invocation, the reason being that having cleared a space it is a good idea to fill it with something that you want to be there, not something that just moves in.

Here is something to do. Get yourself some rosemary, it makes a lovely tea that is relaxing and tasty. You want to relax the energies around you, so you brew some Rosemary tea pour yourself a cup and hold it in your hands, and say some simple affirmation like 'Rosemary is a manifestation of divine being, may the highest good fill this cup and fill me' pour another cup and say 'May my guests also share in this highest good', drink your tea and say, 'May we all share in the highest good together now and in the future.' and then 'Ok, I know you're here, can you at least stop bugging my parents?' If this doesn't calm things down, then you may have problems that require a different approach. Also taking a bath with rosemary oil and sea salt is a good idea. Lavender oil can also be used.

Get yourself this book:

Spiritual Cleansing

and lay off the ceremonial stuff for a while.

:wub: :wub: Folks recommending Draja books on TTBs now :):wub: :wub:

Draja has some good solid stuff - the emphasis on relaxation and concentration/meditation is spot on (i think it's in his Magic Simplified book). Same as Bardon. It's this dull, long, hard work that is essential to any magic (and any self-improvement) but doesn't have the fireworks. So, many people skip it. And end up fooling themselves.

Ok, briefly:

EDIT:

SonOfTheGods

2011 posts

chaining your aura to an egregore does seem like quite a commitment.